American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:59 pm 

Fellow Club Members:

I wish to express my strongest personal support for the candidacy of Walt Dortch for the Presidency.

I have been Walt's friend (and wargaming opponent!) for over 40 years. His organizational experience, common sense approach to problem solving, and superb "people skills" make him an ideal candidate and president for ACWGC. His keen desire to enhance club administration, especially recruiting and retention, is both admirable and inspiring. I am convinced that he can be an effective, forward thinking leader for our club.

I encourage all of you to vote for Walt Dortch for ACWGC President!

United States Army

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:02 pm 

Scott Ludwig wrote:
To kind of put some of your concern at ease, in terms of Confederate army/unit names, any flags, leader images, unit icons, etc. used on the websites, that won't change, regardless of statement or not. We're a historical wargaming club, nothing more, so there isn't going to be any change in this regard.

C. Hecht wrote:
Lets face it, the club would roll belly up if someone had the idea to propose removing these symbols, or other related stuff.
But because of that we can't just deny us to take precautions if someone shows up and misuses the privileges he has as a member.
It's fine that Lt. Colonel Swanson hasn't witnesses any troubles that justify the proposed steps, but that doesn't mean they will never show up. In the over 20 years that the club exists a lot happened and in the next 20 years a lot will happen again, that is what such measures are there for.

Fair enough but please be careful with the wording (such a statement may need to mention that such symbols, images etc are used in the club and that their use is for historical reference rather than any other intention that may be perceived by another - though you'll probably have to word it a lot better than that). As can be seen elsewhere, 'simple' statements have a tendency to get out of control and go well beyond their original intention.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:08 pm 

Scott Ludwig wrote:
To kind of put some of your concern at ease, in terms of Confederate army/unit names, any flags, leader images, unit icons, etc. used on the websites, that won't change, regardless of statement or not. We're a historical wargaming club, nothing more, so there isn't going to be any change in this regard.

C. Hecht wrote:
Lets face it, the club would roll belly up if someone had the idea to propose removing these symbols, or other related stuff.
But because of that we can't just deny us to take precautions if someone shows up and misuses the privileges he has as a member.
It's fine that Lt. Colonel Swanson hasn't witnesses any troubles that justify the proposed steps, but that doesn't mean they will never show up. In the over 20 years that the club exists a lot happened and in the next 20 years a lot will happen again, that is what such measures are there for.

Fair enough but please be careful with the wording (such a statement may need to mention that such symbols, images etc are used in the club and that their use is for historical reference rather than any other intention that may be perceived by another - though you'll probably have to word it a lot better than that). As can be seen elsewhere, 'simple' statements have a tendency to get out of control and go well beyond their original intention.

Your thoughts on the issue are certainly something that needs to be considered, for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:12 pm 

Just a reminder on behalf of the Election Committee Members, that tomorrow is the last day for Campaigning. This thread will be closed tomorrow night, so be sure to ask any further questions while there's still time.

Voting will start on Monday, December 21st.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:51 pm 

Best of luck to both Candidates and a giant "Thank You!" for stepping up and sacrificing a part of your free time... and sanity... to help run the admin of the Club!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:46 pm 

Scott Ludwig wrote:
Quaama wrote:
Scott Ludwig wrote:

C. Hecht wrote:

Your thoughts on the issue are certainly something that needs to be considered, for sure.

Gentlemen <salute>

It is good to see the "harmonic convergence" here.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:20 pm 

Scott Ludwig wrote:
Just a reminder on behalf of the Election Committee Members, that tomorrow is the last day for Campaigning. This thread will be closed tomorrow night, so be sure to ask any further questions while there's still time.

Voting will start on Monday, December 21st.

Gentlemen <salute>

Abraham Lincoln said no one remembers the long speeches.

So, here’s a short one.

I am honored to have campaigned against a gentleman who has served in many capacities over a long period of time that have benefited the ACWGC. Knowing what has gone before is without a doubt a critical factor in understanding what may best serve the purposes of the Club looking forward.

I hope you will elect me to be President of the ACWGC. I pledge to bring three things to my Presidency in priority order: my eyes, my ears and lastly my mouth. Cabinet business will be transparent and democratic and above all dynamic. I will reach out to General Mallory whenever Cabinet action is contemplated until such time as he tells me “enough, I can’t take it anymore.”

If I am not elected President, I will continue to serve wherever and however I might to sustain our great and venerated ACWGC. I will support the efforts of President Mallory to do the same whenever he should call upon me to do so.

General Mallory said this in his statement at the opening of his campaign:
“I do remember getting one officer from each side of the club to present my nominations: Generals Ned Simms and Den McBride. (It wasn’t until later that I realized I had selected two gentlemen who not only were from different sides but whose first names were spelled the reverse of the other - which ended up adding a ‘coolness factor’ to the nominations - at least in my mind.)”

And with that Dee Dubya, <SALUTE>
Your Obedient Servant, Dubya Dee.

It has been pretty cool.

UA Operations Officer
UA Wolverine Team Leader

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3