American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:49 am 

Well, I'd have to say that Gettysburg was decisive because:

1. ANV offensive capability was destroyed, hence the long drawn out ANV defensive campaigns that followed (Early in 1864 being the exception)

2. The cream of the ANV tactical leadership was essentially destroyed; having already suffered 1/3 losses at Chancellorsville roughly a month earlier.

3. The ANV suffered losses that could not be made good with the South's limited manpower pool of 1863 and beyond. Witness the 3rd CSA Conscription Act (February 17, 1864) which changed inclusive ages to from 17 to 50 and service period to unlimited. Also, on 13 March, 1865 the Confederate Congress authorized President Jefferson Davis to recruit up to 300,000 black troops... given the CSA's [criminally flawed] racial ideology, if that's not desperation for manpower I don't know what is.

4. The "Myth of Invincibility" that had grown up around Lee and the ANV was shattered (Lee had [rightly so] blamed Antietam on the lost orders). This greatly benefitted Union morale and caused a storm of bad press in the South against Lee.

5. Lee's own confidence may have turned. Shortly after the battle, he privately offered his resignation to Jefferson Davis, writing “I have been prompted by these reflections more than once since my return from Pennsylvania to propose to Your Excellency the propriety of selecting another commander for this army… No one is more aware than myself of my inability for the duties of my position. I cannot even accomplish what I myself desire… I, therefore, in all sincerity, request your Excellency to take measure to supply my place.” Davis denied the request of course.

Admittedly, 1,2, and 3 are hindsight. And in fact the notion of Gettysburg as "the turning point" is a retrospective view as well. However, 4 and 5 were contemporary assessments.

United States Army

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:16 pm 

Just to keep playing devil's advocate and keep the debate going...

... did Gettysburg disrupt Lee's offensive power/plans?

Longstreet's detachment to Tennessee in late 1863 seems to have put an obvious end to Lee's offensive capacity. With 1/3 of his army detached there was little he could do except parry any thrusts by the Army of the Potomac (Mine Run) and await Longstreet's return.

Further, Lee didn't just wait for Grant to call the shots in the Overland Campaign, he attacked him viciously and successfully in the Wilderness just as Longstreet returned.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:45 am 

I think it matters as a psychological turning point more than a military one. Lee was never going to capture Philadelphia or Washington and that wasn't even the plan. He hoped to defeat Hooker in the north and sue for peace but failed. Even if defeated the Union would not have accepted an armistice the day after Vicksburg fell. Turning back Lee was a morale boost to the Army of the Potomac and matters just for that.

Army of Northern Virginia Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:25 pm 

Am only just coming back to this- the thing is, however, on this figurative, 'other day's dance' it was in fact the Overland Campaign followed by the Petersburg Campaign.

I'd argue that none that happened during the course of either of the two following campaigns were either, but rather the impact of these was of attrition. A war is not going to be about victories in battles, but victories in wars/campaigns. But now we're also talking about the impact of Nathanael Greene.

I wouldn't characterise it as a Cannae style decisive victory (sure, no argument there- however it was rather more than fulfilling the obligations of not losing - not unlike the USS Monitor at Hampton Roads in Mar 1862 ... orders were to protect the USS Minnesota), but it did set in motion the slide into oblivion that resulted in the surrender at Appomattox Courthouse.

And it would be fair to point out that it was not on the field of Meade's choosing, neverminding the fact that it was the Army of the Potomac under Hooker that had started the pursuit of the ANV -and Meade assumed command (I think) in mid pursuit. Actually I think Slocum might actually have had seniority, but was ok with it. (Slocum being the XII Corps commander).