American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:24 pm 

How does everyone deal with those inevitable scenarios where everything is going wrong and you have to just get your butt whooped for enough turns to where your opponent will finally show some mercy and offer to end the bloodshed?

Besides the obvious answer of "Jack Daniels" what do you do?

Do you just attack and try to force the issue to end quicker by committing your men to a banzai attack? Do you go on the strict defensive and just sorta let your opponent pummel you until even they realize it is no longer even a battle? Do you just hoist the white flag immediately and admit there is no chance?

Being gracious in victory is easy. In defeat it is harder. Anyone have any advice for those of us who hate to lose or even for us old veterans who find ourselves fleeing from the field ignominiously?

Image "I'm Listening..."

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:44 pm 

If I feel that there is a chance that I may turn it around or can reduce their victory level I will battle on to the end. I would not bother cringing in a defensive stance just to drag the matter out [much too boring and somewhat rude to my opponent] but if I consider that a well planned attack could reverse the situation or reduce their victory I will try my best to do that. If I consider that I'm going to get walloped then I concede as I see no point in prolonging the agony.

Just a few days ago I conceded a USA Major Victory in a battle that was just over the half way mark. The Victory Points were still at USA Minor Victory (400+ more required for the next level) but I knew I was beaten. I congratulated my opponent and will happily play him again another day when I have the time to spare. Hopefully I can give him more of a contest next time.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:35 pm 

I stall the match out!! Make them wait at least a week before I send a msg saying I’ll send a turn shortly. Then wait another week to do so!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:41 pm 

William Stewart wrote:
I stall the match out!! Make them wait at least a week before I send a msg saying I’ll send a turn shortly. Then wait another week to do so!!!

I can guarantee that anyone who does that to me will, for better or worse, lose me as an opponent. They will probably also run the risk of me reporting them as in breach of ACWGC Rule 5.1.8. They still will not get a win though as I'll persevere for as long as it takes.

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:49 pm 

I have one of those hand grip exercisers I just squeeze and curse while watching replays. Sometimes I call my ex-wife and just hang up when she answers also. Why should I be unhappy alone?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:45 pm 

When the issue is no longer in doubt throw in the towel. So many scenarios, so little time!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:48 pm 

Quaama wrote:
William Stewart wrote:

I can guarantee that anyone who does that to me will, for better or worse, lose me as an opponent. They will probably also run the risk of me reporting them as in breach of ACWGC Rule 5.1.8. They still will not get a win though as I'll persevere for as long as it takes.

lol, yes sir!!! i was kidding of course, but it does seem to happen a lot doesnt?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:45 am 

Sirs,

Being a new player here (and in the Napoleonic games), I’ve learned very quickly that losing is something you certainly have to come to grips with in these games. I know that many of you have been playing these scenarios for years and the perspectives shift, but as for me it’s tough! That being said, I always play out as much as I can just so I can better understand the process and how units and tactics change in those situations. I just try to learn as much as I can and chalk up the loss as “hard knocks” for lack of a better term.

I’ve been humbled by a few now and I think, from a newbie pov, it’s a good thing to take the sting of defeat with grace and glean knowledge from it.

That being said, I hate losing. Sometimes dues have to be paid though!

Respectfully,
JJ

CSA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:42 pm 

I can't explain why but controlling a general rout of my forces while facing a major defeat is really stressful to me, so much so that I get to a point where I can't even watch the replay anymore (sniff). I will let the victor have a few turns of rampage but after that I send a termination bid for sure. On the other hand, if I sense that we both have had enough and only a few turns remain I will suggest a truce and play through to the end with some minor adjustments to the line. Playing the meeting engagements in the Wild West tournament produced both of these incidents, in addition to the case where neither of us saw any advantage to attack, so we called it quits. Not sure I will ever play a meeting engagement again unless it's MP.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:16 am 

Losing is hard on the ego, no matter what.

When the outcome is no longer in doubt and not in my favor, I look for small opportunities to learn something ... maybe try something new and bold, or just a quick "experiment" with tactical play.

Once those run their course, or don't exist in the first place, I'll offer a termination bid. I don't have time to horse around with playing without hope or when the point of the contest is lost. Does that make me a "quitter?" Yes, but then I can start another game. So it's Win-Win... my current opponent gets the game win and I win back time to play again on hopefully more favorable terms.

United States Army

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:27 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
Gentlemen, Sirs! <salute>

I Certainly appreciate all of your responses and relate to them all! Why does it bother me to be getting whup in a game where I have obviously not planned my moves as well as I should have? Actually it is usually my opponent who has taken the time to study and make moves that are very well done.

Currently I am gaming a maneuver against MG Richard White in historical Shiloh, it has been brutal, as was the case in the real battle, my Boys in Blue just can't seem to hold the line and melt away often. So every time I am dealing with routs and trying to throw up some kind of line to slow him down.

On top of that he has done an unconventional maneuver and that is to swing some of his forces along Owl Creek on the northern side of the battlefield in a flanking move.

I keep looking at the clock as it is 2:40pm and reinforcements don't start until 5pm. Then I realize how much fun this has actually been! If I really want a controlled game then I can fight the A/I and we all know that doesn't present challenges! :mrgreen:

All the best to all of you in your current Club games!

Respectfully,

Your Obedient Servant,

General Nick Kunz
Commandant, VMI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:58 pm 

I never lose. I strategically withdraw.

Army of Northern Virginia Commander

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:59 am 

Steve Griffith wrote:
I never lose. I strategically withdraw.

Lol, nice. Well put sir.

CSA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:26 pm 

There is but one honorable response to a sound thrashing: "Thank you, Sir! May I have another?"

Salute!

1/3/III ANV