American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:24 am 

I was out shopping yesterday and came across Sid Meier's "Civilization" PC game that had been converted into a board game. There were also a couple of others done that way too. Hmm...anyone want to try to make Campaign Gettysburg into a board game? Using the "standard" hex size of a board (I measured one of my old Avalon Hill game boards) the Gettysburg map board would have to measure approximately 10 feet by 12 feet! That might take up a little too much of the living room floor for the wife's satisfaction or the cars will be parked out front instead of the garage for the duration. [:D]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5 Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry
I/III ANV

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:31 am 

Hi Don;
call me insane, but I think it would be fun to come over with a six pack a couple days a week and play that one out in your garage.
Don

Major General Don Golen
Army of the Potomac, USA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:40 am 

Don,

It really would be fun, wouldn't it! Talk about an awesome multiplayer game! We would have to have long sticks like the military uses to push units around on the map. Keep the "out of sight units off the board until "spotted". A referee would be great to monitor stuff like that. A handy refridge or ice chests would be necessary to store everyones favorite brew not to mention a table full of hardtack or whatever.[:p]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5 Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry
I/III ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:29 am 
Exactly the sort of thing we used to do, except I had those little magnetic clips that alowed you to wall mount a monster game which made it a LOT easier to access the map.

Yes sirree, a long weekend, cases of beer, cartons of cigarettes, and take out pizza phone # - the memories...[:)]

Col Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:45 pm 

Remember playing Terrible Swift Sword and Longest Day--as the biggest formal maps (discounting naval games or games where you made your own maps). Are ther any bigger games/maps?
Brig. Gen. Laabs
3/III A of M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:07 pm 

Mike
War in Europe was about 4 or 5 times as big as TSS!! Played it once out at Penn State but over weekend we only were in 1940 and I think a janitor came into the room and moved the game!! They have it in a computer version but ya just cant recapture the shear immensity of the game!!

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:22 am 

Ah yes the good old days, playing boardgames Monday night, minatures Wednesday night and MP games on Friday nights [:)]

Once a month an all day monster game on Saturday. Playing TSS, WV, War in th East for 12 hours with 4-5 on a side while ordering out for pizza. [:p]

Going to the Origins Conventions and gaming from Friday evening till Sunday morning and seeing the same people every year. Playing all night MP Third Reich games, Kingmaker with 6 players or divisional level MP games of Panzer Leader with 4-5 on a side on homemade boards. My wife telling me to go to the convention the year she was 7 months pregnant with our oldest. [:D]

If it wasn't for the pbem clubs I'd be down to one night a week of minatures.[:(]

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:06 am 

Am I the only one who thought The Longest Day was a pretty good game? Yes the first turn typically took 4-5 hours but after that things flowed pretty well and for a board game they handled attrition and replacements, at least at the division level, pretty well.

I have a copy (also Terrible Swift Sword) and you're welcome to come over and play.[;)]

Regards,
Chuck Berdanier

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:29 am 

Chuck
My gaming partner and I spent some 8 hours setting up The Longest Day. Then we spent about 6 hours playing turn 1 and I botched the attack so bad the battle was essentially over, Yet 14 hours for one turn and I still have pleasent memories-ah to be young!![8D]

Now, has anyone tried a monster game( or even a regular game) with the board set up yet still playing by email? I did it with Thirty Years War and although I found the game a bit odd it was a good experience.If I can track down my Civil War game I think I am going to try it.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:43 am 

Tony,

We found it easier to set up if you had a small manila envelope for each division. This allowed to quickly select the divisions of interest (352nd, 21st Pz, 1ID, 29ID, etc) without having to sort a couple thousand units. This reduced set up time to merely 3-4 hours. Your could always use the time you opponent was moving (or for the allies, while the german player roled dice on the strategic movement chart) to set up the remaining reinforcement track.

We're currently planning on moving in the summer and one of my requirements for our new house is a room big enough to play (and leave set up!) some of my larger board games. I just have to remember to shut & lock the door to keep young children and pets from the room. I can remember trying with my opponent to reconstruct where we were in TSS after one or more kittens played with the pieces. If I recall correctly part of Anderson's division wound up in the side pocket of the pool table we had the map on.[:)]

Regards,
Chuck Berdanier
Maj, 2/1/IX, AoO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:48 am 

Tony,

We found it easier to set up if you had a small manila envelope for each division. This allowed to quickly select the divisions of interest (352nd, 21st Pz, 1ID, 29ID, etc) without having to sort a couple thousand units. This reduced set up time to merely 3-4 hours. Your could always use the time you opponent was moving (or for the allies, while the german player roled dice on the strategic movement chart) to set up the remaining reinforcement track.

We're currently planning on moving in the summer and one of my requirements for our new house is a room big enough to play (and leave set up!) some of my larger board games. I just have to remember to shut & lock the door to keep young children and pets from the room. I can remember trying with my opponent to reconstruct where we were in TSS after one or more kittens played with the pieces. If I recall correctly part of Anderson's division wound up in the side pocket of the pool table we had the map on.[:)]

Regards,
Chuck Berdanier
Maj, 2/1/IX, AoO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:21 pm 

Reading through these posts a general feeling comes through all of them. We had a blast with our "face to face" games and as much fun as these games are by email, there is still nothing like some good old fashioned getting together and partying while playing a board game. Makes me look forward even more to Tiller Con I in Richmond this summer.[:p]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:25 pm 

Ah yes, the good ol' days.
-I remember those Orgins all too well too Ken. Many's the hour I've spent in the Baltimore Convention Center. Maybe we brushed shoulders.

-Games of everything from most SPI games to VG's Civil War (to this day one of my favorite games) set up on our dining room table for months although we met just once a week.......and my wife always substituting patio furniture for our nice dining room chairs on game night so they would not have pizza grease all over them come morning.

-My very first EFOW experience, now standard with computer games. We set up two games of Pleasant Hill (an S&T GBACW game) on either side of a ping pong table with a screen. It was at my house so I was the guy that got to look at both maps and kept LOS straight for each side. Very interesting experience....for 1987.

Yes, the good 'ol days.

Gen. Doug Burke

XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:12 am 
My gaming buddy and I would play WWII games that would last months. We'd play and play but very rarely had a clear winner. Somehow, the cat, always seemed to intrude on our game and destroy the entire world in one fell swoop! But face to face gaming, whether sober or partially inebriated, did have its benefits...and was one heck of a good time!

[url="mtdavies@msn.com"]Captain Mike Davies[/url]
4/1/XXV
<i><b>"Keystone Brigade"</b></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:14 am 

Gentlemen,

Mrs. Mallory and I built a new house about six years ago. The only thing I wanted was a secure room to set up my wargames in. I got a room in a corner of the basement--with unfinished concrete walls and floors and bare light bulbs--but at least it had a door that could be closed to keep the cat out [:)] !

As it turned out, I discovered this club about seven years ago, and I've turned to computer gaming almost exclusively. Now that room is used to STORE my games, and occasionally for some modelling. (I'm talking about miniature soldiers and dioramas, not THAT kind of modelling [}:)] !) Also, my son and gaming partner has gone off to college and discovered girls [:(]. When he's home for break, war games just don't seem to be his top priority for some reason.

I'll give him time. Maybe after he grows up . . . [;)]

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, First ('Grey Line') Corps, AotM
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army