American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:38 am 

It appears that the historical thread on this has made it into the permanent archives - in any case I couldn't find it.

The final match is still in progress. After 12 holes (turns) both Commander Turner and Commander Weir have "eagles" (major victories) as the rebel player in their mirror match games. Commander Turner appears to enjoy a small advantage in the net points. However, both Commanders won their semi-final matches via tie breaks, so it should go down to the wire.

For those of you unfamiliar with this competition, co-hosted by Simon Macbeth and myself, you can check out the web site:

http://www.games.homestead.com/ryder2003.html

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding 4th Bde, 2nd Div, VI Corps, AoS
"Where we lead, the Army follows" - VI Corps

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 9:13 am 

It's all over. Commander Weir concedes the final to Commander Turner after a hard-fought, enjoyable match. Final points tally is RoW 182 USA 161, so the RoW retain both the team and individual titles.

It has been great fun for two years; thanks to all the participants for making it possible and especially to Bob Breen for providing website expertise and organisation.

We hope that all participants in both Ryder Cups will be eligible for medals, and I herewith ask permission from the Cabinet for this to be allowed. However, I have absolutely no clue as to how to design a medal, so if someone would like to step forward and volunteer their services for this vital but undemanding task, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all once again. Happy New Year.

BG Simon Macbeth AoT (captain of RoW team)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:46 pm 

My congrats to Col Weir for a hard fought match and for keeping me on my toes! The main difference was one glorious turn (or horrendous, depending on your point of view!) for my Rebs when they were able to ZOC-kill a fair amount of I and XI Corps. After those points, it was a case of needing to break even elsewhere.

I did make one mistake in sending Scales on too wide a flanking maneuver so that he wasn't where I needed him where he was needed. Bob did a good job of getting cavalry into my rear as both sides, which can be...annoying. [B)]

Many thanks for the hard work of the organisers! With the inevitable delays, problems, etc, to stick with this over two years deserves a medal of its own!

But I must confess a certain amount of divided loyalty...an American working in the UK playing for the RoW team?? At least as a Reb I'm a true American! [:o)]

Brig Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "Yankee Thrasher"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:02 pm 

Bob & Simon,

Thanks for all your efforts, providing the nuts and bolts that held this great tournament together...(well, I suppose us players provided a few of the nuts[:p]) and for applying a generous amount of grease when needed to keep things moving these many months.
For myself, every match played was enjoyable and as always a learning experience....especially the last!

Brig.Gen. Turner... Suh,..... Having already offered you my sword.

Let me also offer you a well deserved Congratulations.

You fought with skill and honor, it was indeed my pleasure to have crossed swords with you on the battlefield and conversed via e-mail, and yes that particular turn of which you speak...at least from my point of view...was horrendous[xx(]! Uncle Abe would surly have sent me a pack'n after that battle.

Sean, A toast, <b>To your Ryder Cup Victory</b>, and to all the other players who had a chance to particapate!

<font color="green"><b><i>Is ón cheann a thagann an cheird, Sláinte</i></b></font id="green">

<font color="blue"><b>Colonel R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:36 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sean Turner</i>
But I must confess a certain amount of divided loyalty...an American working in the UK playing for the RoW team?? At least as a Reb I'm a true American! [:o)]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Indeed. On behalf of the Rest of the World, I thank you for rallying to our cause and giving us the victory! The USA's loss is our gain, and we can only hope your stay with us is longer rather than shorter.

BG Simon Macbeth AoT (captain of RoW team)