American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Voting Issues
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:35 am 
Hello All,

I am contemplating my vote for the new Union cabinet post. I must admit I find little basis for deciding between the two candidates. I do not have much personal familiarity with either candidate, so can not make a decision based on prior knowledge of their ideas, attitudes and positions.

I thought I’d search the MD Tavern for posts by both candidates to learn what they had said in the past regarding issues discussed by members in that forum. Unfortunately, the wargame.ch and all related sites remain hit-or-miss for me as far as reliability goes. Sometimes I can click a link and get the next page, sometimes the link takes a few minutes to connect, and sometime the link fails and I have to try again, or give up. As a consequence of this intermittent performance issue with the boards of late, I have not made any real progress with my research of the candidates’ prior posts, and have abandoned the effort.

That leaves two postings in the Smoking Room, one by each candidate, as the only basis by which I can make a decision. While the candidates have tried in their postings to set forth their qualifications, and have given short explanations of their proposed agendas should they win, I find this a very limited basis upon which to cast my vote. In fact, I wonder if I ought to abstain rather than vote from a position of ignorance.

Rather than throwing my hands in the air and leaving the vote to others, or voting in a relative vacuum, I decided to post this message and see what kind of response I would get. Perhaps the candidates can be encouraged tell us a bit more about what they would like to accomplish should they win. Maybe a few club members will present their own opinions about what they see in the two candidates. I feel I lack sufficient information upon which to make decide upon a candidate, and hope that starting this thread may help flesh-out our candidates, especially for those of us that do not spend so much time debating club issues on the boards as does some of our membership.

Thank You,
General Thomas Callmeyer,
4th Bde.-1st Div.-XV Corps-AoT-USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:40 pm 

Tom
I appreciate your serious considerations on this important vote but the rules of engagement prohibit campaigning here in the tavern.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:56 pm 
Tony,

Acknowledged. Perhaps this thread could be moved to the Smoking Room? I was afraid that with the limited time frame, I would not get an answer to a post in the Smoking Room, so posted here.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:41 pm 

Perhaps an e-mail to the prospective candidates with any questions you have may be the way to go. I'm going to ask that there be no more postings in this thread and that you copy it over to the Smoking Room.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

Profile Send private message