American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:56 am 

I am told by my opponent that the Rebs can Melee a bridge and knock it out. I started a scenario of my own and tried to do it to see how it worked and was unable to do it.

Is it possible and if so, how do you do it[?]

I am using calvary if this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Fld Lt Kyle FitzMaurice
4th Engineers, 2nd Inf Div, I Corps,
Army of Alabama

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:36 am 

I beleive you can use cav BUT it must be dismounted

Colonel John Corbin
Commanding officer
2nd Division
XVIII Corps
AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:52 am 

I believe the cavalry can be mounted.

To "melee" a bridge, place the hot spot on the bridge and select "melee->begin melee"; then select the unit (only one, and it must be facing the bridge), and "melee->add to melee", and finally "melee->resolve melee" (or use the tool bar button).

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:17 pm 

Cavalry can be mounted, but if so they do significantly less damage in my experience.

Brig Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "Yankee Thrasher"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:23 pm 

Or you can bombard the bridge with your artillery.

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow
CO, XIV Corps,
XO, Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:37 am 

Also, remember that there are two kinds of bridges in Corinth, and they act very differently. Most of the bridges are small "hexside" bridges over creeks. They cannot be destroyed. A large "full hex" bridge can be meleed or bombarded.

Col. Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:05 am 

I keep wondering why there are no engineers in Corinth etc. ACW armies could definitely repair or even build wooden trestles over rivers within a few hours just as well as their European counterparts, so why a bridge (that was probably not a very sophisticated work in the first place, especially in the West) should stay out of operation forever once destroyed is beyond me.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:10 am 

Maybe we could see engineers in a patch someday. After all we have Pioneers in the Napoleonic series, surely they were just as good at repairing/rebuilding bridges 50 years later.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:20 pm 

Pioneers would certainly be on my wish list for both the ACW & EAW series, but I'd like to see the bridge crossing system revamped. At the moment it takes a long time to smash up a 200 or 300 strong Nappy bridge down to zero so that it can't be crossed, yet if a pioneer unit comes along and repairs the bridge for just a single turn it's then possible for all troops - including artillery - to cross it. Instead, it would make far more sense if a bridge needed to be at least 50 strength for infantry (except pioneers & skirmishers) to cross, 75 for cavalry and 150 for artillery to make it across. Better still, add in a probability of a bridge collapsing (or weakening) depending on strength and how many troops/guns were crossing ... so if a bridge is say 77 strong a 6 gun artillery battery can risk crossing it but has only 50% chance of success and, even if successful, will automatically weaken the bridge.

Col. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:46 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard</i>
<br />Pioneers would certainly be on my wish list for both the ACW & EAW series, but I'd like to see the bridge crossing system revamped. At the moment it takes a long time to smash up a 200 or 300 strong Nappy bridge down to zero so that it can't be crossed, yet if a pioneer unit comes along and repairs the bridge for just a single turn it's then possible for all troops - including artillery - to cross it. Instead, it would make far more sense if a bridge needed to be at least 50 strength for infantry (except pioneers & skirmishers) to cross, 75 for cavalry and 150 for artillery to make it across. Better still, add in a probability of a bridge collapsing (or weakening) depending on strength and how many troops/guns were crossing ... so if a bridge is say 77 strong a 6 gun artillery battery can risk crossing it but has only 50% chance of success and, even if successful, will automatically weaken the bridge.

Col. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

In the Panzer series, they have 3 types of bridges, light, medium, and heavy (4 types, including "engineer" bridge, which everyone can use). The light and medium has limits on the type/size unit that can use it.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:51 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ernie Sands</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard</i>
<br />Pioneers would certainly be on my wish list for both the ACW & EAW series, but I'd like to see the bridge crossing system revamped. At the moment it takes a long time to smash up a 200 or 300 strong Nappy bridge down to zero so that it can't be crossed, yet if a pioneer unit comes along and repairs the bridge for just a single turn it's then possible for all troops - including artillery - to cross it. Instead, it would make far more sense if a bridge needed to be at least 50 strength for infantry (except pioneers & skirmishers) to cross, 75 for cavalry and 150 for artillery to make it across. Better still, add in a probability of a bridge collapsing (or weakening) depending on strength and how many troops/guns were crossing ... so if a bridge is say 77 strong a 6 gun artillery battery can risk crossing it but has only 50% chance of success and, even if successful, will automatically weaken the bridge.

Col. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

In the Panzer series, they have 3 types of bridges, light, medium, and heavy (4 types, including "engineer" bridge, which everyone can use). The light and medium has limits on the type/size unit that can use it.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hey Col. White,
what you need is a Seabee Unit, we could build or destroy anything. Our motto is "Can Do". We're the Naval Construction Force.
Fld. Lt. Gery Bastiani, USN Ret.