American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:39 am 

I am currently in England using my GI Bill to finish my degrees. I received my BA in history last year in Canterbury and I am now finishing up my MA in medieval history in Lincoln. In the Air Force I was a communication/navigation systems maintainer, working on HH-60G rescue helicopters on Kadena AFB on Okinawa, Japan. After that I worked 10 years in sales management for Sprint and T-Mobile, before deciding to blow it all up and finally pursue something that would make me happy.

I have a Civil War shirt company that benefits my education and the American Battlefield Trust, so please do check it out on http://www.civilwartees.com

https://blakeacwgc.wixsite.com/trainingacademy

Profile Send private message  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:39 am 

I can attest, the shirts are amazing. How often do you come up with new editions?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:55 am 

Michael When were you station at Kadena. I was there from 1989 thru 1993 assigned to the 400th MMS at that time, I believe it's the 18th MMS now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:37 am 

William Treuting wrote:
I can attest, the shirts are amazing. How often do you come up with new editions?

Thanks for the kind words. To be honest, there's not a set timing about it. It is just myself and my design/art partner. I am not an artist or graphic designer myself, so he is the engine that gets the ideas from my brain onto a shirt. New designs come when we both have the spare energy and time into making them (he's a working father of 4 and this isn't our 'job,' but rather something we enjoy doing). We do have some new designs in the works though over the next couple of weeks and select existing designs are available in the Seminary Ridge Museum in Gettysburg as of this Friday!

Last edited by Michael Barycki on Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:43 am 

L. Newell wrote:
Michael When were you station at Kadena. I was there from 1989 thru 1993 assigned to the 400th MMS at that time, I believe it's the 18th MMS now.

Hey Lynn! Small world. I was there from 04-06 and attached to the 33rd AMU (with the 33rd Rescue Sq) which is under the 718 AMXS. We were in the old SR-71 hangars on the NW side of the runways.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:01 pm 

.[/quote]Hey Lynn! Small world. I was there from 04-06 and attached to the 33rd AMU (with the 33rd Rescue Sq) which is under the 718 AMXS. We were in the old SR-71 hangars on the NW side of the runways.[/quote]

Michael I'm familiar with that area I there when the last SR-71 left we called that area the SAC side, Guam use to send their B52's there when a Typhoon was going to hit Guam.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:20 pm 

I'm 47, working as a software engineer (25 years next year).

18th Alabama Infantry
Sharpshooters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:24 pm 

Appears that my times in the club before I managed to miss this thread's active periods. On the other hand things would have changed even if I had.

I've been a federal, state, and local public servant in two different countries since 1990. I've been involved in stewardship of public monies, coaching, mentoring, and workforce management (personnel). Spreadsheets have become a minor specialty (by necessity). It's been pretty cool to have been able to work in comparable roles in two different countries, although when I first started (way back when) that would have been the last thing that I could have ever imagined.

I've done a couple of things with JTS, however one of the big advantages of Covid, was the access to resources that led to some pretty interesting discoveries - like finding some lines that made me an 11th generation American. Among them 2nd cousin of Kit Greene, 2nd 1/2 cousin of Samuel Ward Sr, 1st cousin of David Cobb, and 3rd cousin of Nathanael Greene and John Langdon among others ... and to cut to the chase - it became one of those, "not getting any younger' scenarios -so the upshot being, there was a choice to be made, and I decided to focus on the family history side of things.

I've got more than a few connections to the Civil War ... and have been adding to my library.

Been wargaming, proper, since late 70's - War at Sea, then Wooden Ships & Iron Men were my first 2 games; big fan of monster games- major fan of Terrible Swift Sword. Models, figures, miniatures, games, I got the lot... also do mods, websites, graphics (did a whole edit/restoration job on all of the Kurz & Allison Civil War battles lithographs (repairing damage off of the images scanned at the LoC site), and those were my best sellers at one of the print on demand publishers... these are images like found on every other Civil War product ... and then one day this site decided that anything showing a flag was too terrible to be seen ... and well, that was that ; comically they went so far as to cancel my Napoleon image there as well, because their editing crew couldn't figure out it was not related to the Civil War (needless to say, that store site I had there; after I made sure I deleted my entire uploaded image library, was closed ... I keep intending to reopen at another comparable site, but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe some day.

Played some rec level hockey, and for awhile (think it probably expired this year) held a level 1 coach certification with Ice Hockey Australia (part of the IIHF). Funnily enough, you can use hockey coaching techniques/structures in day jobs. And the best part about hockey, is it teaches you how to think on the fly. As one of my co-workers put it... 'otherwise you die' ... well I wouldn't go that far - but you are regularly called on to adjust to situations.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:03 pm 

S_Trauth wrote:
... and then one day this site decided that anything showing a flag was too terrible to be seen ...

That sort of PC overkill drives me crazy. We are talking about games, and games that endeavour to represent and display an historical flavour. Now no more swastikas on models or boardgames, calls for the 'hammer and sickle' to be removed and WWII SS counters to not be black (both probably succeeded since the last time I looked), and models or games that feature Confederate flags are also 'on the nose'.
Some of my WWII models shall continue to have swastikas and others the 'hammer and sickle' (surely I can not be accused of being on the two polar opposites of the political divide at the same time). In the past I could be a bit finicky with such things as once I even miniaturised an image of a real WWII Soviet map down to about 1/3 inch square to use on a map for a model of a command unit. I'll also have and some of my Civil War miniatures fly various Confederate flags while others fly those for the Union

First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:05 pm 

Recently retired Lutheran pastor (46 years completed). Previously nuclear fuel design engineering assistant.
Kevin Wenker
Brig General
AOTP V/3/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:54 pm 

Hello. Guy who is barely involved here anymore.

I am finishing up my history degree at GSU, and have already been getting "into the field" so to speak. Been doing research for a potential book on the Battle of Jonesborough; talked with various historians on CWT, on Facebook, via email & phone call; heck, I've even appeared in a few streams with Sean Chick & another guy whose real name I won't say due to privacy. Proudest achievement was visiting the National Archives to dig up some inspection reports for the AoT in late August 1864, which came as a surprise to some Atlanta Campaign historians who didn't realize they existed.

I've also been running war gaming stuff on discord with buddies from a Civil War youtube channel called Warhawk. Just stepped down as game master now that I'm winding down college, but still plan on taking part in some of the games I've run. A friend of mine JUST set up his own server dedicated to running WDS games similar to here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:00 pm 

As Michael Smith said, "Well, I dove many things over the years to earn a buck or two..." from carpentry to the halls of corporate finance. However, I ended my 52 years of work life after 29 years as an American History teacher. LOVED it and hope I made a difference. Happily retired now.

BTW, I attend a Calvary Chapel (which is why I always struggle to spell Cavalry. Lol) and I also attend a Brazilian Assembly of God.

Romans 10:9

Army of the Tennessee
USA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6