American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:33 pm 

Ross
The Southern cause takes a leap forward!! Welcome aboard!!

My agenda here is to have each player to be the commander.By only playing every third turn you will get the feeling of what it must be like to put up with subordinants who may not share your vision.Great leaders will be undermined by poor subordinants and vice versa!!Each player will in effect be both the commander AND subordinant.

In this vein, with many chances for not orders being received and poor flow of battlefield data the supreme commanders will only make suggestions and not "orders" this gives each Army a chance for some co-ordination but unlike other MP games this is not one "team" trying to beat another team but rather three leaders trying to win a battle with underlings who may or may not see thigs your way.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:39 pm 

I think the Historical background for this experiment lies in my belief that Generals Reynolds, Heth and Rodes had perhaps as much to do with a battle being fought at Gettysburg as Meade and Lee.Things take on a will of their own and each commander must do what he can to prevail both strategically and tactically within the context of limited control. I think it will be interesting.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:37 am 

We are starting soon!!
The Reb Supreme commander is General David Mallory while General John Corbin will lead the Yanks. Due to the nature of this battle in actuality each commander is both commander and subordinate due to his being at the mercy of the moves done by his fellow leaders!! In that sense its not really "team" versus "team". I will be doing an after action report and I have encouraged the guys to post as we go along.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:59 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tony best</i>
<br />We are starting soon!!
The Reb Supreme commander is General David Mallory while General John Corbin will lead the Yanks. Due to the nature of this battle in actuality each commander is both commander and subordinate due to his being at the mercy of the moves done by his fellow leaders!! In that sense its not really "team" versus "team". I will be doing an after action report and I have encouraged the guys to post as we go along.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Hi Tony;
the only problem with posting as we go is that some battlefield info we might not get from the system we are using might be gleaned from the board. I think the moderator and outside people should post. All others need to stay away from the postings. Just a thought. Although, now that I think about it, maybe each of us could post our own seperate thread and update it every once in awhile. It might be funny to read how different we were all looking at the same situation.

Major General Don Golen
Army of the Potomac, USA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:05 pm 

Don
I was going to do an after action rather than a post as you go for the reasons you mentioned. As to individual threads-that would be a hoot but certainly up to each commander.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:37 am 

[:p]I have decided to keep typos when sending messages. Usually doesnt matter but although I cant go into detail here, I wonder what Mike thought about a garbled note from Ross? Must have gotton sweaty from a couriers nervous palms[:D]

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:18 am 

First Union move made and sent back to Gen Best.

Are those Reb infantry deploying? Give them a taste of some round shot, boys!

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:02 am 
I had to get a translator from LA to make sense of it :-) Thats lower alabama :-)

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
I Corps, Commanding
Army of Georgia
[url="http://convolutedmuse.blogspot.com//"]Convoluted Muse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:22 pm 

Tony,

I almost hate to bring this up, but is there any chance the orders/suggestions/reports from one side would be 'intercepted' and sent to the other? I wouldn't think it would happen often (maybe about a 1% chance, if you have a 100-sided die!), but THAT could certainly make things even more interesting than they are already.

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, First ('Grey Line') Corps, AotM
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:27 am 

David/Ross
I have considered this but since the orders are so limited I dont know if it would have much affect but just for fun I might put it in.

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:01 pm 

Orders would have to be wrapped around cigars to be considered for capture...[:D]

Major General Dirk Gross
CAV DIV/XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:19 am 

The battle is on! We are at 10:40 Day one. Nothing dramatic as the Yank Cav held Mcphersons until Heth came up and after a short skirmish pulled back. Yank Cav been scouting the flanks( or more, guys dont think this report is in any way conclusive as only the most basic of info will be given),

The interesting thing to me is the differences in command style that is being exhibited!! Already commanders are frustrated as their subordinates are either too aggressive or too passive."Feels" kinda realistic but still really early. Not going quite as quickly as I would like but moving along. Commanders?

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:03 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tony best</i>
<br />The battle is on! We are at 10:40 Day one. Nothing dramatic as the Yank Cav held Mcphersons until Heth came up and after a short skirmish pulled back. Yank Cav been scouting the flanks( or more, guys dont think this report is in any way conclusive as only the most basic of info will be given),

The interesting thing to me is the differences in command style that is being exhibited!! Already commanders are frustrated as their subordinates are either too aggressive or too passive."Feels" kinda realistic but still really early. Not going quite as quickly as I would like but moving along. Commanders?

Major General Tony Best
AOJ
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Best,

The trickiest part is missing two out of three replays. This gives the opponent a much better chance of slipping around our flanks.

Of course, this goes both ways!

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:51 am 

1120 AM Day one

Again the interesting aspect is different strategies on the SAME side.The net affect in game terms is orders being interprted differently by Divison/Corp commanders.From my readings on the Battle of Gettysburg this was by no means a rare occurance.I wonder how Lee/Meade or any supreme commander actually reacted to this. Were they just accepting that stuff happens? Did they pull their hair out in frustration?

In most of our games we are the only guy in charge and our troops, down to Regiment level do exactly what we tell them. Routs are the game mechinism to add battlefield chaos but our control is way beyond the actual experience. Our experiment in this MP game is showing the importance of lower level commanders both good and bad!![xx(]

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:25 am 

How about a modified version of what you are talking about?

A MP game that only adds players as their commander arrives.

Gettysburg would start with one or two players each, and as reinforcements arrive more players get thrown into the loop, and as higher-ups arrive, they get to call the shots for how the whole team will fight. They have to make their decisions from what they 'know' of the battle, only gaining info of what happened by being in the same hex with the other players.

...and conversely if a commander goes down the player leaves the MP game.

Maj Gen Ambushed
reassigned to the AoC