American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:14 am 

Gentlemen,

Just some comments to let you know what I am involved with and why it takes a while to get replies to game registrations occasionally.

1. The present site is working great. The reason for the delays is me, and my personal time constraints, in getting the emails out at times. It is not a problem and I don't mind doing it at all because it is a great service to the club, I feel.

2. There are problems with registrations occasionally, too, and it takes time to work some of them out through email exchanges and all, but in the end, I do resolve everyone of them to everyone's satisfaction. If you have any problems with a past game registration, be sure and let me know. I am in the middle of catching up from March 17th so wait on those and you should have them by midnight tonight. ALL of these problems will go away with the NEW site. [:D]

3. With the present site, I have realized one thing that would help me out some with my time. If you are playiing a game that is rather short or you know you will start and finish it within just a few days, wait and do a start and end game at the same time. For instance, if it is a 4 turn scenario, and you file a start game by itself, it takes me 5 to 15 minutes to create the email. Then a day or two later, when you file the end game report I have to do it all again. SOOOOO, for the time being at least, do me a favor and wait and file the start and end game at the same time on these short games. It doesn't make one bit of difference if you don't other than it saves me some time and I would greatly appreciate it. [:)]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]4. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the status of the new site.
It is coming along very well. I am in the process of getting a new web hosting site that will become the property of the club. It will cost around $70.00 a year to maintain and I am willing to pay that for as long as I am around. (Which I intend to live a hundred more years to bug Tony Best as much as I can and MAYBE some day actually defeat him at Gettysburg!)[}:)]
In my humble opinion, the site is going to be awesome when it is finished. The problem is real life is taking up a lot of my time right now and I am squeezing in work on it every chance I get. You must understand, this is not just a game registration site. It will become the "OFFICIAL" record keeping site for the club with the official points (OBDs), OOBs, game registration, and everything under one roof, completely automated as far as it possibly can be done. Here is what I visualize, and what I have going so far. First, access to the site will be by password only and NO ONE can get in without a password. This will stop the nonsense registrations I get all the time. There are people out there that just like to play with our site and I get some of the strangest game registrations. [:0] Your officil email address with the club is your login name and the password you receive you will change on your first login. When you login to the site the first page you see will show you all of your current information (Rank, Unit, Email, and Password). You can edit your email and password at this time if you choose. Then you will be taken to the main page which will have several options. One will be to register a new game. The form will look much as it does now and when you submit it, it is immediately posted to the database. There will be no more email comnfirmations as you will be able to see it yourself as well as all of the CO's above you. You can also choose to end a game. If you chose to do that a list of all games you have going that are not finished (do not have points awarded) will be listed for you to choose from. Enter the end data and the points wil be automatuically calculated and posted. Again, this is done immediately so again there is no need for an email. Your OBD point total will be updated immediately as well.

5. Reports - You name it you got it. There will be a wealth of different kinds of reports available and more added as they are thought of. (Such as Division, Corps, Army, or Side reports. Side = CSA or USA) Game and scenario reports will be available as well similar to Mark Nelm's game site. Again, this will be updated immediately as end games are posted.

6. Administration - This is the cool part that really helps take the load off of club record keeping for a lot of people. Everyone will have access to their own data only. The only thing you can change is your email address and your password. Reassignment or initial assignment to a unit is done by the Corps commanders and above. Each Corps CO will be able to see all of the data for his Corps (as will Division CO's their Div, Army Co's their Army, and CoA's their entire side. The details of how the administration will be handled is extremely flexible and can be decided by the CoA's how it will be done on their side. Points will be confirmed by COs. It is soooo cool! It could even be a requirement by the Corps CO's that the Division CO's do some of the updating and all, giving them REAL responsibilities!

NOW the bad news. [:(] (You knew all of this was too good to be true right?!) It is really not bad news, but simply that the details of this site requires that I bring the whole site online at one time so it all has to be fully functional when I do. All I can say is that I am working as fast as I can to get there because I, above ANYONE, have the motivation to get it done! (See 1,2, and 3 above) [:D] Also, so you will know, it is a lot of work to do this as I have to learn more and more, <u>but</u> I LOVE doing it. It is my hobby and I am doing exactly what I want to do so how can I beat that![:p]

Anyway, so now you have it. One of my simple short little explanations of what is going on.

Proud to be,
Your Obedient Servant,

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:33 am 

Don I can't thank you enough for this. I would like to make a fiscal contribution to the upkeep. Can you add a PayPal donation iocn to the site?

Ed

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS
"Where We Lead the Army Follows"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:33 am 

Don I can't thank you enough for this. I would like to make a fiscal contribution to the upkeep. Can you add a PayPal donation iocn to the site?

Ed

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS
"Where We Lead the Army Follows"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:16 am 

It all sounds great, Don. If you need any help be sure to ask...

someone OTHER than me![:D]

But, if you need help on some aspect, please let me know.

AND, Ed Blackburn plans to pay, twice.[:0][;)]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:34 pm 

Ed,

Thanks for the offer and once I get the site up and running I may well do that. It is really not that much and if just a few people donate we can probably cover a couple of years fees in no time at all. I will keep you posted.

And you really don't have to donate twice. [;)]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:23 am 

Thanks Don. You are doing an incredible service to this club.[:)]

Lt. Gen. Antony Barlow
CO, XIV Corps,
XO, Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:28 am 

Don,

Well done! Magnificent! Your philanthropy is very appreciated.

I'm also very glad that you thought of it before I did! [:D]

I'll put in for Ed's sentiments as well; we should have an opportunity to contribute $, if we can. [^]

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
I/XVIII, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:33 am 
Don

I believe the expression is something like "You go, gurl!!" [:D]

Brig Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS