American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:59 pm 
Gentlemen!

Have a look at http://www.sps-systems.co.uk/trolleyed/142/index.htm

Campaign Peninsula should be available April 1st.

Col. Thomas Borling

1/2/I/AotP
Robinson's Young Guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:09 pm 

Wonderful!! [:D]

Was kind of hoping for the Valley, but this will do very well.

From some things at the Wargamer, looks like it has an Eckmuhl style 7 day long scenario. Hehehe.

Anyway...

Meet me at Malvern Hill [}:)]

<i>Better living through massed firepower</i>

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:13 pm 

Lol...finally you get justice Gary. [:D] Sent the game today but not sure if I got the right address....sent it to your ashtur account at yahoo.

<center>---------------------------------------------------------------------------
[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/"]<b>Colonel Scott Ludwig</b>[/url]

Commanding Officer
[url="http://scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/ANV"]Army of Northern Virginia
[/url]CSA

[url="http://www.scott-ludwig.com/ACWGC/index.html"]Personal Command Tent[/url]

For the Glory of Virginia!!</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:30 pm 
When are we going to get some official word on this? First mention is on a UK merchant site? No sneak preview or announcement for the guys in the club? [B)]

How about some details! [:D] [?]

Regards,
Captain Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:49 pm 

This is what the NWS guys have over at the Wargamer...

<i> HPS Simulations is proud to announce the upcoming release of Campaign Peninsula, a John Tiller "Civil War Battles" Game.

By the middle of 1862, the Southern Confederacy teetered on the brink of disaster on all fronts. Defeat after demoralizing defeat plagued Southern forces in the west. At the same time in the eastern theater, General George B. McClellan’s Federal Army of the Potomac arrived at the outskirts of Richmond after a slow but steady 50-mile march up the rugged Virginia peninsula.

On 31 May, the Confederate army, under the command of General Joseph E. Johnston, turned and attacked McClellan’s army at Fair Oaks and Seven Pines. The two-day battle caught the Army of the Potomac in a vulnerable position astride the raging Chickahominy River. After initial success, the Confederate attack was blunted and both sides returned to their lines. Perhaps the most significant result of the battle was the wounding of Johnston and the elevation of Robert E. Lee to the command of the Army of Northern Virginia.

It is now 24 June 1862 and General Lee is moving his divisions into position for a grand offensive to relieve the Confederate capital. Bolstered by reinforcements from the eastern seaboard and the Shenandoah Valley, the Army of Northern Virginia will soon be at peak strength (Lee will never again command an army this size). The goal of the upcoming offensive is none other than the complete destruction of the Army of the Potomac. On the Union side, General McClellan is planning an attack south of the Chickahominy on the 25th at a place called Oak Grove. The famed “Seven Daysâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:20 am 

But in a campaign how do we convience the Yankee player that he is out numbered 3:1[?][?][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Col. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:19 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />But in a campaign how do we convience the Yankee player that he is out numbered 3:1[?][?][xx(][xx(][xx(]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I just created an OOB review scenario like I did for Gettysburg and here's the results:

Union = 120,736

Rebel = 106,794

So, pretty good odds when you look at the OOB as a whole. Of course in situations where it historically dictated the forces to be heavily lopsided other methods of balance will be used. But when you combine in all of the Rebel forces (Richmond defenses, various posts on the river, Jackson's Command, etc.) there's a very sizeable force that can be brought to bear.

I haven't had a chance to really dig into the game as I just got my copy yesterday, but I'm sure I'll be creating a couple of big scenarios using the entire OOB...I just can't help myself. [:D]

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:05 am 

Guys,

I was involved in helping Drew a little with the OOB as an information-gatherer, and there defintely were more Confederates in and around Richmond than was previously thought. I really like the way the game plays, especially since the Union player knows he is not outnumbered as Kennon pointed out. Especially interesting was a Gaines Mill slugfest Drew and I had. It turned out pretty much as it did historically, with the exception me taking far more casualties as the Confederate than was actually the case. That's attributable to Drew being the better player though. [:D] The game includes a Seven Pines pdf which has reduced movement to simulate the wet and muddy conditions in late May-early June 1862. It takes some time getting used to that! However, if anyone doesn't like the way this plays the normal movement cost pdf is also available. Also, the Union I Corps under McDowell is also available in some scenarios. The Black Hats might get their baptism of fire at an earlier date in 1862 as a result.

Since the cat has been let out of the bag by Wargamer.com and others, I've posted an interview with Drew concerning Campaign Peninsula. It is available here:
http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/drewwagenhoffer3.htm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
I just created an OOB review scenario like I did for Gettysburg and here's the results:

Union = 120,736

Rebel = 106,794

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

-Capt. Brett Schulte 2nd Bde, 1st Div., III Corps, AotM, ACWGC
http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:13 am 
now i can get the game and then check out the actal batlefields while at tillercon[8D]

Lt Col Karcher ,Csa
5th Calvary Brigade
II Corps Army of Northern Virginia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:55 am 

Yep, you will be smack dab in the middle of them. [:)]

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:52 am 

Hm, just found out that Andrew Wagenhoffer is the one that did this one [:D]

Since Ozark and Corinth are 1-2 in my list of favorite HPS ACW games... this bodes well.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:34 am 
You probably don't want the Tredegar Iron Works LDF in the middle of your battleline, and if you take out most of I Corps and the White House Landing garrison for the U.S. and the mostly static Confederate garrison forces (river forts, LDF, Va Militia, Heavy Arty units, etc) you get 90,000+ per side available for active operations at the beginning of the Seven Days. This is in line with the estimates made by recent scholarship.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />But in a campaign how do we convience the Yankee player that he is out numbered 3:1[?][?][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Union = 120,736

Rebel = 106,794

So, pretty good odds when you look at the OOB as a whole. Of course in situations where it historically dictated the forces to be heavily lopsided other methods of balance will be used. But when you combine in all of the Rebel forces (Richmond defenses, various posts on the river, Jackson's Command, etc.) there's a very sizeable force that can be brought to bear.

I haven't had a chance to really dig into the game as I just got my copy yesterday, but I'm sure I'll be creating a couple of big scenarios using the entire OOB...I just can't help myself. [:D]

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Colonel
3rd Bde/1st Div/17th Corp
Army of the Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:44 am 

I've been looking forward to this one, though I was hoping it might take in the broad scope of McClellan's advance up the Peninsula.

Lt. Gen. Matt Perrenod
<i>The Blue Ghost</i>
VIII Corps, Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:59 pm 
Yeah, kind of crappy this club didn't get a heads up too.

Maj.Gen. Mike Smith
I Corps, Commanding
Army of Georgia
[url="http://convolutedmuse.blogspot.com//"]Convoluted Muse[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:47 am 

Since the resellers "spilled the beans" so to speak, I got the OK from Scott to post the preview, you can check it out here:

http://www.warfarehq.com/index.php?cat=1

Just scroll down a bit, first item in the center, if your screen doesn't display it right off.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA