American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:11 am 
Hex (98,188) on the full Rappahanock Map in Campaign Gettysburg is Welford's Ford. There is a road in the hex above it, road in the hex below it, and trail in the hex to the bottom right. However, in the actual hex mentioned, there is neither road nor trail. Is there a specific reason for this? Did the road/trail not extend to the ford in 1863? (Would seem kind of stupid to me for such to be the case in real life... why build the road all the way to the edge of your destination and stop?) Or was this an oversight and there should be a road in that hex?

It is very annoying when trying to cross and having to spend 5 movement points or more to get over the ford due to lack of a road, meaning you get not only the penalty for crossing the stream but also the penalty of moving into woods, and all the obvious problems that can entail as well.

If the hex as it stands is accurate and no road was present, then good job. If not, then I know a few disrupted cavalrymen who are not very happy with the designer right now, and their commanding officer isn't exactly happy about the situation either. [:0] [B)] [;)] [8D]

Regards,
Captain Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:57 am 

I know a certain opponent that is probably happy to hear this news...[:D]...ME!

I know just of what you speak, as in our Brandy Station battle, I did the same thing with the first troopers through. Took me a bit to figure out why they disrupted. The next several regiments had to dismount to cross, and remount. Better to pay the movement penalties than wait for them to recover from the disrupts...

Lt. General Jeff Laub
I Corps, Fighting First
Army of the Potomac, USA
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/I_Corps/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:12 am 

I don't know for sure, but I imagine it was a design decision, to slow you down, as a fording would actually do, rather than move smoothly across which the trail or road would allow.

We use the same process in the Nap games, stopping one hex short of where we are going to place a bridge over a river. This helps simulate the bottleneck that occurs when a force moves across a narrow passage such as that.

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:31 am 
Wow, Jeff, I figured you'd read that post, but I thought it might take more than 45 minutes. :) Your scouts are good. Speaking of which, since you have units in place to see that I have men crossing the ford anyway, I didn't think there'd be much harm in this post that would affect our game.

Rich,

I can understand trying to simulate slower crossings and fully support such a plan, but in this case, having woods in the hexes disrupts cavalry and can be very detrimental. If known about in advance you can dismount, but that isn't exaclty realistic either since you can ford the Rappahanock on horseback with roads on both sides and not disrupt the horses, but the smaller Hazel River is such an obstacle as to disrupt cavalry and force them to dismount and walk their horses across? I doubt it. I'm still leaning towards an oversight. If it is not, then I would certainly think that having woods in the crossing hex is a bad idea given its effect on horses and guns, especially since it isn't easy to tell where the roads stop depending on what view you use and during the heat of battle, stopping and right clicking every hex to get info isn't always going to happen... it seems things would be a little more fair were this not to happen and a les detrimental way of simulating crossings were used (up the value to use a ford, for instance) but not by penalizing a crossing unit with disruption at one ford and not any of the others.

Regards,
Captain Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:46 am 

Hi Guys!

I haven't got this game Yet . . . but (and here I bow to those a li'll more familiar with the Role played by Welford's Ford [;)]), could the disruptive Woods be an attempt by the designer to simulate a <i>swollen</i> Hazel River?

Fording a River in full Flood would cause such disruption even if Cavalry <b>did</b> dismount and walk their horses across. Upping the crossing value is a valid method for slowing crossings - p'raps Disruption has been added for this reason?

Any historians out there, that know this minor detail? [:D]

Pat

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
II Corps, Commanding.
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia,
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:50 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eireb</i>
<br />Hi Guys!

I haven't got this game Yet . . . but (and here I bow to those a li'll more familiar with the Role played by Welford's Ford [;)]), could the disruptive Woods be an attempt by the designer to simulate a <i>swollen</i> Hazel River?

Fording a River in full Flood would cause such disruption even if Cavalry <b>did</b> dismount and walk their horses across. Upping the crossing value is a valid method for slowing crossings - p'raps Disruption has been added for this reason?

Any historians out there, that know this minor detail? [:D]

Pat

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
II Corps, Commanding.
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia,
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

This may be the case, but since none of the other fords on the map, including those on the larger Rappahanock River which I can only assume would be more difficult crossings, do not have this disruptive feature, I can't imagine it was planned. I would think it would be an all or none feature, unless that particular ford itself was bad (which certainly could have been the case.)

Whatever the cause/reason, one hex that might possibly be bad out of hundreds is still pretty darn good. Love the map work in CG and can't wait to see CP as well.

Good times... good times... except whilst Jeff is destroying my cavalry... those aren't such good times... [B)]

Regards,
Captain Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:36 am 

Hi Alan,

I just did a quick check of that one map and there were 2 other hexes that were setup the same way, 121,148 & 230,322 so I'm confident this was an intentional decision.

Regards,
Rich

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:56 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Hamilton</i>
<br />Hi Alan,

I just did a quick check of that one map and there were 2 other hexes that were setup the same way, 121,148 & 230,322 so I'm confident this was an intentional decision.

Regards,
Rich

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Rich,

Thanks for checking. I'll take your word for it, of course. I hadn't noticed the other two.

Jeff has me too busy backpedaling away from the rivers to be examining the other fords up close. ;-) At least he thinks he does... or does he... Hmmm.... ;-)

Regards,
Captain Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><