American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Favorite CW soundtrack?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:01 am 

This topic may have already been discussed in the club in the past, if it has forgive me since I'm a newbie. But in your opinion which campaign game has the best selection of Civil War music: Corinth, Ozark, Franklin, Gettysburg, or now Peninsula? And why? I'm partial to the selections included with Corinth. I admit I don't own Ozark or Franklin yet. Also, do most of you play with the music on to "get you in the mood..(fightin mood)?"

Lt. Boyd "Bama" Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:52 am 

All are pretty good, but I was a bit surprised with Gettysburg. It only has two tracks with no lyrics, just music. I like to hear the music when playing. And though I'm probably considered biased, I like Franklin's best!

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:02 am 

Well I prefer the Corinth soundtrack though I haven't listened to the Frenklin one enough to form an opinion. I really don't like the Gettysburg one without any vocals. I think my most favorite is Sultana's Bones from Corinth. I've copied it into all the other games. I also copied a good portion of the soundtrack of the Gettysburg movie into my games. For some reason I really get into the game when I hear those songs, I guess because I can picture the fighting from the movie when I hear it.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:15 am 

I totally agree about the Gettysburg music - I was really surprised when I noticed what they had done in that game. Glad they are back to normal in Campaign Peninsula. The music there sounds good, but I haven't had the time to listen that much to the music there just yet. My favourite of the HPS ACW games is without doubt Campaign Ozark. I really enjoy listen to those tunes [:)] But the music that <i></i>really<i></i> sets me in the ACW fighting mood is the soundtrack to Ken Burn's Civil War series. I have copied several of those tunes to my games to add to the atmosphere. But unfortunately the atmosphere don't help me winning my battles..... [xx(]

MajGen Atle Jenssen
CO 2nd Division
XXth Corps
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:22 am 

Ozark by a fair margin. Both "I fits mit Sigel", and two others whose name escapes me. Corinth is the second.

I have to be honest, Peninsula annoys me [8)] Especially that Abram one... the womans' voice does nothing for me.

Of the BG games, it's easily Bull Run.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:41 am 
I like "Rebel in the woods" and "Was my brother in the battle" delivered with Corinth best. But I have also copied the main theme from the movie "Gods and Generals" and several soundtracks from "Gettysburg" to my HPS games, because I like these even better. [:D]

Col. Thomas Borling

1/2/I/AotP
Robinson's Young Guard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:27 am 

"Maryland, my Maryland" from BGN

Something with "Remember the young volunteer" from BGS (CBACKG2.WAV)

"Bonnie Blue Flag" from BGS

"Rebel in the Woods" from Ozark

"Prairie Grove" from Ozark

Something from BGBR of which I really can't figure out the name, but it's CBACKG5.WAV.

"The Wearing o' the Gray" from Franklin

"Homespun Dress" from BGN (not from Corinth)

All in all, I think the best stuff, overall, is in Ozark.

And yes, I always play with the music on. Since Gettysburg came without decent music, I just put all my favorites from the other games in the folder. I am glad Peninsula has decent new music, again.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:17 pm 

Although I play most of the time with the speakers turned off, my vote is for HPS Gettysburg. I love the soothing music with no words to it. The doctor said that it would be bad for my health to listen to stimulating music while I was leading a charge into a battery firing grapeshot. However, I'm only three turns into HPS Peninsula and that opera type singing is about to drive me bonkers. I thought that it would be for only one song but it goes on and on and on. I think that my opponent planted that music in my files. If I were back home and that was all that was playing at the local music hall, then I would certainly sign up to leave for the Army.

Col Ned Simms
3/2/VI/AoS
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:44 pm 

My favorite CW soundtracks .... hmmmmm...

"I walk the line" - Johnny Cash

"Stand by your man" - Tammy Wynette

"Big Bad John" - Jimmy Dean

"You're Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams

"Kentucky Rain" - Elvis Presley

"Always On My Mind" - Willie Nelson

Huh? What's that? They don't mean Country Western? Oh.

Carry On. [:p]

Maj Gen Ambushed
reassigned to the AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:22 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />However, I'm only three turns into HPS Peninsula and that opera type singing is about to drive me bonkers. I thought that it would be for only one song but it goes on and on and on. I think that my opponent planted that music in my files.

Col Ned Simms
3/2/VI/AoS
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Darnit, Ned, you weren't supposed to figure out that I planted them in there to throw you off. I had some of my musician friends put those together in order to annoy my opponents who can't appreciate good music. :)

Speaking of which, would anyone be willing to email me the music files from Corinth, Franklin, and Ozark? I've only got Gettysburg and Peninsula and would like to hear the others, but have no plans for purchasing the games in the near future - maybe down the road a bit. Already spent too much on games the last couple of months as it is - the wife will have me on the couch if I don't stop...

Regards,
Bvt. Major Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:46 am 
I might be in the minority, but I enjoy the Peninsula music due to the fact that it is historically accurate. Maybe I'm just more used to the sounds from having a music degree and sitting through umpteen dozen voice recitals and hearing many sopranos and mezzo sopranos singing in that same style, so I am accustomed to the style.

While I enjoy the Gettysburg music, it gets repetitive not having more choices in it.

I also plan on throwing together some of my own arrangements of period brass band music and having them play in the games.

Regards,
Bvt. Major Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:41 am 

I don't mind the female voice either. Definitely less in any case than a *male* voice singing "Weeping Sad and Lonely", which it totally nonsensical when it comes to

Dearest love do you remember,
When we first did meet,
How you told me that you loved me,
Kneeling at my feet?
Oh! How proud you stood before me,
In your suit of blue,
When you vow'd to me and country,
Ever to be true.

Unless of course we picture *two* males involved in this story. [:p]

If the sound tracks would keep deteriorating (Gettysburg *is* a low), I am quite safe--I have already amassed period music (for all my gaming clubs actually) on CDs and installed a CD player next to my computer. The HPS Nappy games have started to employ late 19th and even 20th century music already, and that is simply too anachronistic to bear ...

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:55 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />My favorite CW soundtracks .... hmmmmm...

"Big Bad John" - Jimmy Dean

"You're Cheatin' Heart" - Hank Williams

"Kentucky Rain" - Elvis Presley

"Always On My Mind" - Willie Nelson

Huh? What's that? They don't mean Country Western? Oh.

Carry On. [:p]

Maj Gen Ambushed
reassigned to the AoC

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Big Bad John was done Tennesee Ernie Ford

Colonel John Corbin
Commanding officer
2nd Division
XVIII Corps
AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:59 am 

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Al Amos</i>
<br />My favorite CW soundtracks .... hmmmmm...

I would think these two songs would be quite appropriate for the Civil War soldier.[:D]

I've noticed many of you have said you've copied music files from one game to another. Is that all there is to it and it will play all the songs you've copied into the file? Any thing else I need to do? Also, is there anywhere online one can get a copy of the Gettysburg movie and God's and Generals sound tracks to play? Some of you have said you've done that. Sounds like a good idea.[:)]

Lt. Boyd "Bama" Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:37 pm 

Here is a link to music from Gettysburg. It is in MP3's but you can find some free programs out there to convert it.

http://victoryatseaonline.com/war/gettymusic.html

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army