American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:11 am 
Site Admin

To those who are lucky enough to have received it, can anyone tell me if it uses the 2 gun units?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:06 am 

Pierre, I've not looked much at the CSA units, but most of the Union arty I've seen is in full 6 gun batteries. There may be some 2 and 4 gun units out there, but I haven't noticed them yet.

(Am already drooling over what I can set up at Malvern Hill)

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:33 am 

Gentlemen,

While we are at it; what casualty table do they use for the artillery. Are they like Franklin (strong), Gettysburg (medium), or the modified Corinth (weak)? Something else to consider, if you get hit with a crew killed due to musket fire you take out 6 guns instead of 2.....

BG Joe Mishurda

Joe Mishurda, The Cast Iron Division
2nd Div. XXV Corp, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:14 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pierre D</i>
<br />To those who are lucky enough to have received it, can anyone tell me if it uses the 2 gun units?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

So far from my limited experience, the Reb guns are divided into ones and two, some threes and some fours... haven't seen any Rebel batteries larger than 4 guns so far. Most are 2 gun units of differing types, just as in Gettysburg.

Regards,
Bvt. Major Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:28 am 

Pierre,

There are only two OOBs in the game.

You can see them at:

http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/peninsula-oobs.htm

Enjoy.

[8D]

Lt. Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:18 pm 

Looks like same fire tables as Campaign Gettysburg. CSA as mentioned has the small gun sections although a few 4 gun units this time.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:52 am 

I thought there would be a series standard for something like this.

Armies should be structured the same from title to title, and use a standard pdt file, AND THEN, if the designer felt another oob style, and a different pdt file was need provide that as well.

Just a thought.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:14 am 

From my experience the Union has hords of 6 gun baterries, some 4 and 2 also. The Rebs mostly have 1 and 2 gun batteries with some 3 and 4. Not a 6 to be seen. Which leads me to a gripe. All batteries whether 1 or 6 consume one artillery ammo point. Where's the justice? Why not increase the ammo and have each battery consume ammo points equal to the size of the battery?

Paul Siragusa
Captain 6/2/II, AoG
Crockett Rifles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:34 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by prsir</i>
<br />From my experience the Union has hords of 6 gun baterries, some 4 and 2 also. The Rebs mostly have 1 and 2 gun batteries with some 3 and 4. Not a 6 to be seen. Which leads me to a gripe. All batteries whether 1 or 6 consume one artillery ammo point. Where's the justice? Why not increase the ammo and have each battery consume ammo points equal to the size of the battery?

Paul Siragusa
Captain 6/2/II, AoG
Crockett Rifles

AMEN!

As the Yanks can fire ONE ROUND of ammo and get the full effect of six guns, the Rebs, in order to acheive the SAME EFFECT must fire off up to THREE ROUNDS of ammo at the same time or at seperate times.

This only compounds Confederate supply difficulties and gives the Union yet another supply advantage. I don't mind the split batteries to get historical gun sections, but this a-historical supply limitation is not good...

If Confederate artillery supplies have not already been adjusted upwards somewhat to compensate for this potentially debilitating disparity, then perhaps it should be done.

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:30 am 
Site Admin

Just got the game in and it looks good. HPS made a mistake with the value declaration so it was a little more costly in taxes and custom fees then expected but I did not want to refuse it and wait another week!

A very good point about artillery ammunition and the size of units. It would appear that the ammo numbers are traditional with the Union having about twice as much. Considering the Union units are up to 3 times as large it indicates that with the disparity in unit size and ammo the Union will have a very big ammo advantage in the long games, much more so then in the other series.

At least they can be adjusted via the scenario file but what is the right number and not all have the savy to do it.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:32 am 

HPS badly needs to change how artillery ammo is expended. If they are going to break the CSA units down into uneven sections (1's, 2's, and 3's) they should change ammo expenditure to a per gun bases instead of per unit. As it is it forces the CSA player to not use one gun sections in long battles. Any gain to the game from having all these odd size guns is wasted by making it a libility to fire them.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:01 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />HPS badly needs to change how artillery ammo is expended. If they are going to break the CSA units down into uneven sections (1's, 2's, and 3's) they should change ammo expenditure to a per gun bases instead of per unit. As it is it forces the CSA player to not use one gun sections in long battles. Any gain to the game from having all these odd size guns is wasted by making it a libility to fire them.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Or at least make some rule that those small gun sectinos stacked in the same hex only count for one ammo point... something... anything... as you say, it's just a waste right now for the small sections in longer fights.

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:08 am 

Have you actually run out of artillery ammo in a long scenario?

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:56 pm 
Site Admin

I have run out of ammo during a auto defensive fire game. If it only happens once you remember! It becomes a serious consideration when games last more then one day you start thinking about not deploying artillery. However most games do not last more then one day for one reason or another.

If you are gong to spend the time to play games that last months if not years then you don't want to run out of ammo because the scenario setup is bad!

Is it? Have scenarios been play tested over several days? Has the smaller CSA batteries been considered when ammo was determined? If it has been then good, if not then it is a problem.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:05 pm 

Actually the very first scenario in CP, Old Tavern, has the problem. The Reb has a relatively low amount of ammo and a lot of one gun batteries and badly need every gun to stop the 2:1 odds against them. To have any chance in this scenario you better start shuffling batteries to get the one gun units to locations where you won't need them and restricting your fire to only the 2+ gun batteries that have a better chance of high kills per shot.

For the most part the one gun batteries are useless in a fight. They rarely cause enough damage to justify their use of ammo except in scenarios that its impossible to run out. I have had opponents take advantage of this as well. Selecting the larger batteries as targets to try to turn them into one gun batteries.

The ammo system for artillery worked reasonably well when all batteries were 4 gun for the CSA and 6 gun for the USA but fails badly when units are inconsistent size. Changing the system to one ammo expended per gun that fires would fix it.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)