American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:38 am 

Althoug I am very much liking the game itself, I have to say I don't like the music for this game. It is all female vocal and I think the woman's voice is to operatic for the period music. It overwhelms the battle sound effects. I actually have to turn the sound off after a few minutes because I find it distracting. IMHO the music should compliment the action on the field not become the center of attention. I normally am not a complainer but I was wondering how others felt perhaps in the next patch we could add some scores with no vocals.

I mean no offense to the artist who contributed the vocals. Her voice is beautiful and I would love to listen to her under in a more appropriste setting.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS
"Where We Lead the Army Follows"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:40 am 

I agree on the music, but remember, if all else fails, grab music files from the other games in the series, and dump them into the music folder [8D]

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:59 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zinkyusa</i>
<br />Althoug I am very much liking the game itself, I have to say I don't like the music for this game. It is all female vocal and I think the woman's voice is to operatic for the period music. It overwhelms the battle sound effects. I actually have to turn the sound off after a few minutes because I find it distracting. IMHO the music should compliment the action on the field not become the center of attention. I normally am not a complainer but I was wondering how others felt perhaps in the next patch we could add some scores with no vocals.

I mean no offense to the artist who contributed the vocals. Her voice is beautiful and I would love to listen to her under in a more appropriste setting.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

While I would also prefer a more “movie scoreâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:16 am 

I'd have to agree with Gen Blackburn. Her opera voice just doesn't fit the mood I'm in while conducting my battles. Kinda grates on the nerves...

When the men were marching into battle I would think the regimental bands were playing songs that would get the men most stirred up and ready to fight. Something more battle appropriate. I doubt they brought in the opera singers from Richmond or Washington to sing as the men were fixing bayonets. Could you see the "three tenors" on Seminary Ridge singing to Pickett's division just before they marched off for Cemetary Hill?[:D]

I've also deleted a couple of those songs from the folder and transferred over music files from other games. It's very easy to do.

Lt. Boyd "Bama" Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:42 am 

Well Al, can't argue with a music degree.[:D]I stand corrected. Badly phrased on my part. I meant that the operatic style (to me) does not augment the experience of wargaming with Campaign Peninsula. I am a cultural illiterate who can't understand how they managed in the 1800's without MP3 players! Gawd!!.

Of course let me reiterate NO OFFENSE intended to the artist I really do think she has a beautiful voice.[;)]

Ed

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:25 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zinkyusa</i>
<br />Well Al, can't argue with a music degree.[:D]I stand corrected. Badly phrased on my part. I meant that the operatic style (to me) does not augment the experience of wargaming with Campaign Peninsula. I am a cultural illiterate who can't understand how they managed in the 1800's without MP3 players! Gawd!!.

Of course let me reiterate NO OFFENSE intended to the artist I really do think she has a beautiful voice.[;)]

Ed

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS

I understand what you are saying. I would like a more "camp" sounding set of songs, like guys around a campfire in a real camp. Similar to the original TS games music.

Either that or more movie-esque soundtrack, possibly making use of Civil War era tunes, but in a more orchestral score kind of way... I might just whip one up for my own enjoyment...

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:57 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Boyd</i>
<br />I've also deleted a couple of those songs from the folder and transferred over music files from other games. It's very easy to do.

Lt. Boyd "Bama" Denner

Lt. Boyd,

You're right -- it was so easy to do even *I* could do it! I just copied "Sultana's Bones" from my Campaign Corinth Music folder to my Campaign Gettysburg Music folder and started up a game. It worked fine.

Now, tell me, does this only work for HPS Civil War games? I couldn't find a music folder for the Talonsoft games, or for the HPS Early American War series.

Either way, I'll have to go see if I can find where my wife hid those Campaign Ozark and Campaign Franklin games (for my birthday), or see if I can't sweet talk her into letting me 'borrow' them for a while ahead of time 'just to check them out again' [:o)] .

Oh, Hon-ey! I only want to <i>shake the package </i>. . . [;)]

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:02 pm 

"Oh, Hon-ey! I only want to shake the package..." - DeeDubya

TMI! Wait 'til you're on the barge, Pul-ease!! hehehe.... [:p]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:27 pm 

<font color="red">Now, tell me, does this only work for HPS Civil War games? I couldn't find a music folder for the Talonsoft games, or for the HPS Early American War series.</font id="red">

General Mallory, sir,

You can find the Talonsoft ACW music on the CD (I guess the folder is called Music), and copy them from that location to your Peninsula\music folder. I have added several of my BGBR favourites to the HPS games that way. I just HAVE to listen to Gary Owen when I charge some rebels with my cavalry........ [:D]

Best regards

MajGen Atle Jenssen
CO 2nd Division
XXth Corps
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:05 pm 

In the BG games, the music is in the main game folder and the pieces have the format of "CBACKG##" and "UBACKG##". I have transferred several of them to the music folder of my HPS Getty game.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:42 pm 

I do like the songs in Ozark, Cornith and Franklin. The Lady who sings the songs in Peninsula has a very good voice, but the songs do draw a vaccumm. I don't listen to the songs while playing the games.

Captain Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
4/2/II AotM CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:22 am 

Old topic, but I remember it, and you know what, it is actually becoming one of my favorite background musics of both BG and HPS, to date. Strange, but I think I like it--not that I am rushing to the CD store to pick up the greatest hits. Anyway, it has grown on me.
MG Laabs
3/III A of M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:52 pm 
I like the music in Ozark.

LtG. J. Cuneo,
3/III, AoA
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:50 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CSAML872</i>
<br />Old topic, but I remember it, and you know what, it is actually becoming one of my favorite background musics of both BG and HPS, to date. Strange, but I think I like it--not that I am rushing to the CD store to pick up the greatest hits. Anyway, it has grown on me.
MG Laabs
3/III A of M

Gentlemen,

I generally prefer songs I can sing along to, in basically the same key (more or less [:D] !) as the professional doing the singing. (That's why I really enjoy "Sultana's Bones" -- I can join in the chorus of "Hi-De-Hay-Ho, Sultana's Bones" and be right in there with them.) My favorite CW songs are those sung by a male chorus, as if they were sitting around a campfire.

However, like General Laabs, the Campaign Peninsula songs are really starting to grow on me. There are one or two where she really hits some high notes and I just shake my head, but the others I can sing along with as much as I want -- that is, until my wife comes to the basement and threatens me within an inch of my life because the neighbors are complaining [B)] !)

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:25 pm 

I do like the songs in Ozark, Cornith, and Franklin. The other day while I was on my way back to Wilmington. I played a little hooky from work and stopped in at the Bentonville battlefield and while touring the museum I picked up a CD with songs by the Sons of Dixie, and their songs are really good,Bonnie Blue Flag, Dixie, Rose of Alabamy, etc. The area hasn't changed much since the time of the battle, farms and such.

Major Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
4/2/II AotM CSA
"To Live and Die in Dixie"