American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:07 am 

Gents, of course, everyone has heard of Gettysburg, and most have heard of Shiloh and Antietam and the like.

What do you think is the most important battle that only serious Civil War geeks know of?

My Vote, Champion's Hill. Grant loses that, and while he probably could have saved his army (head back to the river, recross, tail between legs), it would have been a very sticky wicket.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:15 am 

Don't know how "serious" one has to be to know about Pea Ridge but I think it's one of the most important ones among the lesser known ones. It basically means the end of all effective Confederate efforts to lay claim to the Transmiss.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:05 am 

I would cast my vote, but since it is unknown. I don't know it! [:p] hehehe...

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:10 am 
The Battle Of Helena. July 4, 1863. I don't know how important it was, but it is certainly unknown. (I am only aware of it because my Great-grandfather was captured there).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:35 am 
How about one that most serious students of the way know, but very few others: Fort Donelson, TN. If the Confederate leadership at Donelson didn’t screw things up so badly and allow all of those men to be captured (after winning the battle and giving themselves a perfectly good chance to escape with most of the men intact…) the Johntson would have had an extra division at Shiloh, which more than likely would have turned the tide of that battle and meant that Grant’s men would have had to withdraw and Beull’s men would have played no part, because they would not have been able to cross at Pittsburgh Landing, probably resulting in their withdrawal back to Nashville or up the east bank of the river to link up with Grant further North. Either way, Union and Confederate fortunes in West Tennessee would have been drastically altered for many months – possibly forever. If Grant hadn’t have been able to pull that victory from the jaws of defeat, he very possibly could have been sacked permanently, then… who knows?

Possibly even more impressive was the NON-battle – the middle Tennessee campaign by Rosecrans that completely forced Bragg out of Tennessee with hardly a shot fired and in very little time. A brilliant campaign against an absolutely horrible general (Bragg) so maybe it wasn’t quite so impressive after all! [:0][:D][B)]

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:52 am 

My vote is Glendale, July 30, 1862. Lee had a real chance to cut off a good portion of the AotP, but Jackson slept, and the great opportunity was lost.

-Capt. Brett Schulte 2nd Bde, 1st Div., III Corps, AotM, ACWGC
http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:11 am 

I vote for Belmont. No Belmont, No Grant!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:04 pm 

My bid would be the CSA ceding New Orleans by default. What a blunder! With or without a river-going fleet, an adequate defense would have basically stymied all Union aspirations in this region. It would have taken less troops to defend the city than it ultimately took to thwart Union incursions after its loss.

BG Robert Frost
Army of Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:46 pm 

Monocacy, just out side of Frederick MD, Lew Wallace was able to delay Jubal Early long enough that the works north of Washington D.C. could be manned...a better aim on that day could have also ended Lincoln's presidency a bit earlier. It was the last confederate excursion onto Maryland soil.

<font color="blue"><b>Brig.Gen. R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:20 am 
The battles for Chatanooga also could qualify. Though many have heard of the "Battle Above the Clouds" there are few who know the details that allowed it to happen. Were it not for the bungling and bickering in the Confederate command and poor engineering the war in the West could have taken a drastically different turn here. And if it does, Sherman likely doesn't take Atlanta in the fall of 64, meaning Lincoln likely would not have been reelected in the 64 election... then who knows...

Regards,
Major Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><