American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Real Name or Fake Name
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 4:52 pm 

Congratulations - the stickies at the top were a good idea and quickly implemented. Now to address another similar matter and it doesn't make any difference to me what the decision is as long as it is applied the same throughout the club (obviously, it hasn't been in the past although I don't have the knowledge anymore to say that it isn't being done the same throughout the club now - but I doubt it).

When registering with the club, must the person's real name be used or can they register with a fake name? If the answer is that the real name must be used - how do you know - are you going to ask for some id? If the answer is that a fake name can be used - what are the limitations for a fake name (e.g. no vulgarity, no duplications of currently registered names, etc)?

How about an individual who doesn't mind registering with his/her real name kept private but wants to use a roleplaying name for all functions (muster, forum, oob, etc)?

How about a member who has been registered with their real name and now wants to change it to a fictitious or roleplaying name? Will there be a limit on how often a member can change their name?

If you say "No fake names" then how about a member who is currently registered with a fake name? Would a Mother really name her child "Ned"?

Is there anything that says that one person can only be a member of either the Union or the Confederate Army, regardless of what names are used?

After this article is posted, will anyone besides me have to prove who they are?

Col Ned Simms
2/VI/AoS
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 8:08 pm 

As far as I can tell, from the guys I know in this club, it has always been the rule for the vast majority to go by their real name. I have known one individual who admitted that the name with which he had enlisted, many years ago, in the ACWGC was not his real one (that was when I learned his identity because he had enlisted later in other clubs using his real name).

Although I prefer real names, just for the sake of honesty--I have an easier time trusting someone who doesn't hide his name from me--I think using a different name for enlistment is not a problem as long as it's a "normal" name that a real person could have. So if Joe Brown enlists as Jim Black, who the hell cares. I do have a problem with (a) fantasy names and (b) names of historical ACW personae, because both spoil roleplay for me. Fantasy names (say "Reb Killer" or such things) because going around as "Capt. Reb Killer" simply says "I spit on your roleplaying stuff, this is a modern wargaming club and I am a wargamer". Please go join the Blitz then. Historical ACW personae names bother me because you always end up with the odd situation that every newly enlisted Lt. poses as Grant or Lee, Forrest or Sheridan, while the veterans are stuck with their rather unconspicuous real names.

All this for me has nothing to do with the despicable practice of enlisting on both sides with different names, either to fake games against oneself so to gain rank faster, or to get hold of the other side's passwords. I always have been under the assumption that this constitutes a serious breach if not of the club rules, then of the club's spirit. Unfortunately, in all the three cases known to me where this happened and was proven, no punitive action was taken.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:38 am 

Ned Simms? Yeah right there with John Doe, and Mr Smith and Mr Jones from the CIA.

[8D]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
VIth Corp/AoS
"Where We Lead the Army Follows"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:28 am 

Actually, what's wrong with Ned?

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 9:36 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />Actually, what's wrong with Ned?

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Kinda nerdy, don't ya' think? You know, like Ned Flanders, etc. [:o)]

Just kidding, Ned. [:)]

Or am I? Hmmm... [;)]

(Psyching out my opponent... and doing a bad job... but a bad job is better than no job at all!) [8D]

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 3:58 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.S. Walter</i>
<br />Unfortunately, in all the three cases known to me where this happened and was proven, no punitive action was taken.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

General Walter,

Just to set the record straight, punitive action WAS taken against a Confederate last year who attempted to join the Union as a 'spy'. A very lengthy court martial was held, led by a CSA Theater commander with several corps commanders on the judging panel. A prosecuting attorney was appointed, and a defense attorney to assist the defendent.

Since the defendent himself was the one who brought his action to light, and since the court martial could find no explicit club rule against the action, the court decided to require the defendent to publicly acknowledge his action here at the Mason-Dixon Tavern and to apologize to the club. This was actually in the middle of the spectrum of penalties considered, ranging from 'no penalty' to 'reduction of rank to private and dishonorable discharge (dismissal from the club)'.

Unfortunately, although the defendent seemed willing enough to submit to the court martial proceedings initially, he dropped out of sight and has not been heard from since. The court did not want to publish the findings against the defendent 'in absentia', so nothing was ever announced to the general public about the matter.

This may have been the wrong decision, in retrospect. One of the outcomes, the court had hoped, was to suggest to the Cabinet that the club rules be modified to more explicitly state that a person could only join one side or the other at any one time. I believe all the judges felt they were being 'lenient' because of this, but it was also generally felt that this case would be a showcase warning others against such conduct, even if no Cabinet action was taken. It was the consensus of opinion among the jurors that a repeat of this action, by anyone on the Confederate side, would thenceforth be dealt with much more harshly.

(Names of all involved have been withheld, since the official court transcript was never authorized for publication.)

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:32 pm 

I stand corrected. In my defense, in spite of repeated inquiries (Gen. Ross can attest to this, being the other aggrieved party) I never heard of this outcome.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:38 am 
Site Admin

Gentlemen,

I have one comment to make. I or the Cabinet as a body was not aware of these situations. If it would have been the case the Cabinet would have dealt with the situations. I wanted to clarify any insinuation that the Cabinet does not care about such breach of protocol. I would also point out that the Cabinet should be made aware of as a whole of any issues to ensure it's participation in these matters. One informed Cabinet member, a CoA or other, does not mean that it was brough to the attention of the Cabinet as a whole.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:21 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pierre D</i>
<br />Gentlemen,

I have one comment to make. I or the Cabinet as a body was not aware of these situations. If it would have been the case the Cabinet would have dealt with the situations. I wanted to clarify any insinuation that the Cabinet does not care about such breach of protocol. I would also point out that the Cabinet should be made aware of as a whole of any issues to ensure it's participation in these matters. One informed Cabinet member, a CoA or other, does not mean that it was brough to the attention of the Cabinet as a whole.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC

Gentlemen,

I agree with Pierre. At the time of this matter I was serving as a corps commnader and wasn't privy to Cabinet workings or communications. I see now this is just the sort of thing the Cabinet is set up to deal with. Cabinet involvement in a metter like this would have insured consistent treatment across both sides.

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 6:47 am 

I formally applied to cabinet for a solution in at least two of these three cases. (Maybe the third time I was becoming desperate.)

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:19 am 

How would one change their user name, from role name to real name.
Thanks in advance

Captain Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
4/2/II AotM CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:14 am 

I'd tell you my real name. But then I would have to kill you.

Major General Don Golen
Army of the Potomac, USA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:17 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />How would one change their user name, from role name to real name.
Thanks in advance

Captain Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
4/2/II AotM CSA

Captain Bastiani,

I think any name change would have to be done publicly, unless the officer in question was willing to give up any accrued OBD points. (It would be difficult for other members to accept a 'John Doe' suddenly showing up with 357.12 OBD!)

If someone just wanted to change the name he was using, I would think the first step would be to apply to the moderator (Pierre) to have his screen name (logon name) changed. Then an announcement would need to be made (at least here at the Mason-Dixon Tavern and probably at the officer's own army tavern, if not in any other tavern he could find), so everyone would know about the change. Finally, the officer would need to communicate the change directly (via email) with his superior officer and with any current opponents.

These are just my thoughts, but it's the way I would do it if I could just come up with a better name than the one Mom gave me [:D] !

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:45 am 
Sirs

The name is real, it's me that's fake [:D]

Seriously, when I joined I just got the standard registration permission screen and so just went with the standard net practice of using a netnym. If we want people to use their real name it needs to say so prominantly and clearly right at the top of the registration agreement screen

That would be better, but I would still be sympathetic to someone who simply clicks "I Agree" without reading it; once you've seen 50 or 100 of them there is the not unwarranted assumption that they say basically the same things.

Better would be an intermediate screen where you have to answer: Did you use your real name Yes/No? [back] Are you a Club Member Yes/No [link to recruitment page].

Of course we could always have someone 'approve' new Forum members, but I suspect the above procedure would screen out 99% of the problem and the remaining 1% could be handled in other ways.

Maj Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:20 am 
Site Admin

General Mallory pointed out the right method.

Send me an email and I can change your username, I do need to find you so I would need your current username.

[url="mailto:"]acwgc@wargame.ch[/url]

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC