American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:03 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by november</i>
<br />Just played my first ACW campaign, the first stage of Corinth as the Union.

Great fun. I intended only to mess around in order to learn. For the first several of the 104 turns I did absolutely nothing. Not knowing what to expect, I waited for things to develop, fully intending to start afresh once my position became hopeless.

Once the Confederate attack developed, I played just another turn until I’d played 40, when I decided to play it through. It’s great fun, isn’t it?

OK, now to my point. I played like any other noob but won a major victory, Union losses 700+, Confederate 3500. Now to my question.

1. Is the AI always so hopeless?
2. If I understand correctly, each stage in the campaign has set troops dispositions depending on your option but the casualties carry forward. If so, is the Confederate position compromised after this first stage? If it is, does that mean a full campaign is impossible against the AI?
3. Is there any difference between the ACW titles in terms of challenge?
4. What’s the best way to experience a challenging AI? Play scenarios outside the campaign?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Mr. November,

The A/I is hopeless. If you want any kind of challenge at all, you'll need a human opponent. Sign up with the ACWGC and get all the opponents you can shake a stick at.

Someone recently discussed the differences between the A/I in these games and the A/I used in chess, pointing out the limited variables in chess (only 6 different types of pieces, only 64 possible spaces to move) versus all the variables in these games, plus the fact it has taken years to develop the chess master A/I software. Until these games acquire the following of chess, no one will be able to devote the resources necessary to develop a really decent A/I.

The good news: The ACWGC doesn't charge dues!

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:30 pm 

I agree with General Mallory, the AI does not present all that great of a challenge. I also agree with General Mallory in that you might find another dimension in these games by joining the club and entering into play against a human.

I would suggset however you join the CSA. If you joined the USA most of your game will likely be played against a CSA opponent and you will soon be longing for the AI challenge once again......wink.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

PS: Oh now, all you CSA guys sit down now. You know I'm just kidding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 3:35 pm 
I agree, playing against the A/I isn't playing. You'll need a human opponent to test your mettle.

And Gen. Burke is correct, too. Join the Cofederacy. Remember, good guys wear Grey.

LtG. J. Cuneo,
3/III, AoA
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:06 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">4. What’s the best way to experience a challenging AI? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Get really, really drunk, or take a random collection of your medications [:D].

There is the option of setting the advantage bar when you first begin the scenario, but who knows what that does? cut your fire effectiveness? make morale checks harder? probably a combination of the above and similar biases. The AI will still pursue the same silly strategies and tactics.

The guys are right, to experience a challenge you have to start playing human opponents.

Partisanship aside, you will find many a good player on both sides in this Club, so if you opt to join just find an Army that appeals to you and put your X where the Sgt indicates.

Maj Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:00 am 

If you want a challenge you should join the Confederacy - the Union side almost always has more men, more (and better) guns and better equipment & weaponry too.

It's also a matter of quality v quantity - if you prefer good quality troops & leaders rather than superior numbers and technology, then the Rebel side has more to offer. If you like spending most of the game trying to rally your own routers then pick the Union instead.

Col. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:03 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard</i>
<br />If you want a challenge you should join the Confederacy

<b>If you like spending most of the game trying to rally your own routers then pick the Union instead.</b>

Which to me seems to imply, "if you want a challenge, join the *Union*. Having an all-supermen army, even if slightly outnumbered, doesn't seem to be much of a challenge to me. [8D]

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:34 am 

Hi november!

As no doubt You have gathered by now . . .

Whilst the Games are the Raison d'Etre for the Club and it's Members, it's the Comradery, Friendships and Fun, that are the Mainstay of this Club. [:o)]

Whichever Army You are commanding . . . NO A/I will share Jokes, Info and Stories . . . nor will it Rib Ye over how well/badly You are performing on the Battlefield! [:p]

C'mon in Y'all! [:D]

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:01 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by november</i>
<br />Thanks for the replies. I knew I would get suggestions about PBEM but I didn’t think they would all say that. Must be the way to go.

As for which army to join…

I have both player-type bumps. I like games that fire my imagination and provide an immersive experience—simulation type games. But I also like games that provide a more abstract challenge, like chess.

On an abstract level I could join either army, with the confederate a little more attractive due to the long odds (often).

But on the immersive experience level it’s the Union, hands-down. I can’t get past slavery, which isn’t a side issue at all imho. In my part of Ohio all the little towns—often less than 3000 souls--have monuments to the fallen and the names go on and on and on.

Mr. November,

By all means, select the side you're most comfortable with. You wouldn't be stuck playing that side all the time, though: You could switch and play the other side every once in a while, as a maneuver.

Also (in case you missed other posts relating to it), the club prefers a person to register with their real name (this is not mandatory, of course, but highly encouraged). Once you join, future posts should be signed with whatever name you're using in the club and your club rank. (For now, of course, you could just sign "Mr. xxx, civilian".)

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
CCC - Corporal, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:31 am 

<br />all-righty, then

Mr. november
drummer boy

Mr. November,

lol - You'll get along great here. Allow me to buy you a drink while you're waiting for your application to be processed. (You have signed up, haven't you?)

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory