American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:32 am 

Gentlemen,

I'm working on a project for a tournament and I need informations on the two HUGE custom scenarios for the Chancellorsville battle.

Chancellorsville Bn Level.scn from ACWCGDC (290 turns).

000_chancellorsville_01.scn from ACWCO (280 turns).

Are they relatively balanced ?
130,000 Union vs 60,000 Confederate !!!

Does the Victory Conditions give a chance for the South to avoid a Major Defeat ?

If anybody had play this battle before, please send me your comments, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

Fld. Lt. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:25 am 

I have not played any of the scenerios you reference but if you're working on a project for a tournament do you really want to consider 280 turn scenerios?

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:52 pm 

Gen. Burke, Sir

If this scenario is a good one, why not ? The project could include small, medium, big and possibly HUGE scenarios. The players will choose the scenario they like. I realize that a scenario like Chancellorsville could take two years to play. I had the chance to complete the 3-days scenario of Murfreesboro (135 turns) a few years ago and it was really a great game. Big games could be a very interesting experience for those who have the time; the popularity of the 3-days Gettysburg scenario confirms that, I think.

Therefore, I need the informations to make the decision of including it or just consider the two shorter ones: Jackson's offensive and Battle of Salem.

One thing is sure: Murfreesboro and Gettysburg will be there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:24 pm 

I only got about 45 turns into the Chancellorsville game when my opponent had to quit. I thought it favored the boys in Blue but I could see some ways to victory for the Rebs in the hands of a crafty leader. 290 turns for a tournament. IF the games are fineshed it will take a MINIMUM of a year and most likely much longer. Way too long of a commitment to expect if you ask me. Plus, weren't they having trouble downloading all the parts for that scenario?

Major General Don Golen
2nd Brig/3rd Div/ I Corps/
Army of the Potomac, USA!
"The Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:22 pm 

I took a quick look at these two scenarios you are considering. Afraid only Hooker could lose these battles[:D]. Barring using the old Avalon Hill Hooker rule (half way through the game the Union player has to sit still while the Rebel player hits him upside the head with a 2x4, Union player must then finish game without medical attention), the Union player just needs to be patient and wait for his army to release before stomping the Rebs into the ground[xx(]. Since the Hooker rule won't work for PBEM, I don't see any way these could be balanced.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:27 pm 

Maj. Gen. Dolan, Brig. Gen. Whitehead, Gentlemen,

Thank you for your answer. The word "tournament" is perhaps not appropriated. What I have in mind is a serie of battles where the results will be used to determine the outcome of the war. A little bit like the "Fight The War" game that some of you are playing and that seems to be very exciting. All players interested will be invited to choose their scenarios, small, medium or large ones, as they prefer.

If the idea is well received and partipation is good, it could become an annual or bi-annual event. But we are not there yet, lot of work and research to do.

I will probably drop the scenarios more than three days long. For Chancellorsville, I think BG Whitehead is right, the Union has too many men and not enough Hookers to miss his shot at a Major Victory. In my research, I discovered the two medium scenarios for Chancellorsville; at first sight, they look interesting and well balanced.

To respond to Maj. Gen. Dolan: the instructions for loading the Chancelorsville scenario are clear, I didn't have any difficulties to install it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:50 pm 

Col. Collins,

thank you very much for your comments. I will not use this scenario for two reasons. First, it is too long to be completed in less than one year for the majority of the players. Second, the play balance is probably too favorable to the Union. The Jackson's Charge and Battle of Salem should be there so Chancellorsville will not be totally forgotten.
Some unbalanced scenarios will be in the project but they will not be as important as Chancellorsville could be in terms of points allowed to the battle. Starting with the second tournament (if the first is successful), an handicap based on preceding results will compensate for those unbalanced scenarios.