American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hypothetical question
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:27 am 

I'm currently reading about the Battle of the Wilderness and the see-saw affair it was. One interesting fact I read was how the ratio of wounded to killed was higher due to the fact that artillery wasn't employed much in the battle. I guess rifle bullets aren't as efficient in killing as artillery canister and shells.

Anyway, a thought came to mind as I'm reading about Longstreet getting wounded and Lee getting very close to the front lines during the battle. Does anybody have any idea of who would have replaced Lee if he would have been wounded or worse? Is there any historical evidence on who would have replaced him? Or what about Grant if he would have been wounded? For me, I doubt Jeff Davis would have promoted any of the ANV Corps commanders. I tend to think he would have summoned Joseph Johnston back or maybe PGT Beauregard. Those are just guesses though. For the Union, I'm sure Meade would have stayed in command of the AoP, but with Grant gone the overall direction would have suffered and reverted back to the way it was in 1861-1863. IMHO.

Lt. Col. Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:59 am 

An interesting question about who would have stepped in for Lee . . .

Of course, prior to his wounding, it would have been Longstreet . . . Other than that, A.P.Hill was too sickly. Richard Ewell was known to be sinking into disfavor. So who? . . . Davis knew Lee favored his "mean old man" Early, and the latter hadn't yet left on his northern raid . . . JEB Stuart still lived, but I don't think Davis would have had him step into overall command, even though Lee had previously shown his trust of JEB by having him step up during Chancellorsville. Bragg wouldn't do. Breckinridge was too inexperienced.

Joseph Johnston was quite busy entertaining Sherman's armies in the opening stages of the Atlanta campaign. I find it hard to believe that Davis would have returned to Beauregard, but it's possible, re the dearth of ranking generals available. Of course, Davis's number one choice, himself, would have been too controversial in 1864, since his approval rating was so low by then.

My vote goes with Early.

Sincerely,

Nathan Easterwood
West Point Cadet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:59 am 

Probably the best choice would have been Richard Taylor. Of course, he'd been "in the middle of nowhere" for a considerable period.

Brig. General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:15 am 

As much as it pains me to say it, it probably would have been Bragg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:44 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rob.field</i>
<br />As much as it pains me to say it, it probably would have been Bragg.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I seriously doubt that Bragg would have been chosen after being just relieved from the AoT, and if he had, given his reputation I think that there would have been either a coup, a mutiny, or just some group from the Texas brigade that got together and shot him dead in plain sight of the rest of the army to do them all a favor! [:D]

In deciding who to put in command after Bragg, the only options of high enough rank were Johnston, Hardee, and Beauregard. Hardee didn't want army command at all, and Davis hated both Johnston and Beauregard. But if Lee went down, and Longstreet with him, I'm sure temporary command would have fallen to A.P. Hill during the interim of the battle (his promotion preceeded that of Ewell by rank, I think, even though they both became Corps commanders at the same time... and the Confederate heirarchy went by date of promotion if of equal rank.) After that, I think Davis would have had to either moved Beauregard to the ANV or promoted one of the existing ANV commanders - but as has been mentioned - Hill was too sick, Ewell wasn't thought too highly of after Gettysburg, and Early was a teachers pet.

So either Beauregard (highest available rank) or Early (one of Davis's pets at the time).

If Grant went down, then Meade would have stayed as AoP commander - which he already was - Grant did not command the AoP while he was overall commander, he merely followed it around and offered "suggestions", but the army was Meade's on paper so there would be no change there. Overall command, however, would have been an issue - outside of Grant the North's only other commanders of sufficient rank and Presidential favor might have been Meade, Sherman (though only through Grant's trust in him), and possibly some lower men like Thomas or Hancock. In all likelihood, however, Lincoln would not have promoted any of those men to overall army command and might well have chosen someone not in active field command...

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:55 am 

At that point in the war of rebellion it would have probably been someone like Jubilation T. Cornpone or some other officer of similar ability to Lee.

Lt.Col Ed Lytwak
2/2/XV/AoT/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:36 am 

I have no doubt that Sherman would have been called to replace Grant.

CE Trog
Plebe
West Point

"My aim was to whip the rebels. To humble their pride. To follow them to their inner most recesses and to make them fear and dread us. War is cruelty! There is no use in trying to reform it. The crueler it is the sooner it will be over"

-<i>William Tecumseh Sherman</i>-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:56 am 

Actually I think Davis would have put Bragg in Lee's place in the end, if Lee had gotten wounded. Davis had a blind spot when it came to his favorites. Bragg and Pemperton are good examples.

LT. GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:16 pm 

Forrest being Jr. would not have bothered Davis, but Forrests attitude did. Look how Davis had promoted many officers Jr. to some over their heads. Hood is a good example, Pemperton, I mean Daivs lost the War for the South more than anyone or anything in my opinion. Hill would have been a disaster, as would Ewell, Longstreet would have been ok, Forrest would have been great as well as Cleburne. Johnston would have been the best over all.

LT. GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".