American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Game balance
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:55 am 

After a return to action I was offered a game using a penninsula campaign scenario "Bottoms bridge and WO swamp" Well after 24 turns I surreneder due to the alomost silly defensive fire untis are throwing out. I lost 7000 men trying to approach the union positions. There was no safe avenue to come forward and artillery units are firing multiple time along with infantry. How are you supposed to attack when your units are losing 10-20% strength and getting disrupted before they can even fire back? Is it just me. I can tell you that I wont be playing that scenario at least as the rebels, total slaughter[:(]

Retired Lt Gen AoM

Never interrupt the enemy when he is doing something wrong.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:32 am 

I rarely - if ever - find the HPS engine favouring the defender in the way you describe, although historically the attacker ought to be prepared to accept significant losses, especially when assaulting a position defended by artillery.

Col. Rich White
3 Brig. Phantom Cav Div
III Corps ANV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:44 am 

I am with Rich. The HPS games favor the attacker <u>badly</u> and this is very unhistorical. If you found a game and scenario that favors the defender, wow, a miracle, but a most welcome one.

Gen. Walter, USA
AoS / War College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:11 am 

HPS and Battleground games generally favor the attacker in that it only requires a slight advantage in numbers for an attacker to take a position. That said, individual scenarios may dramaticly change the chance of winning due to position, length or VP hexes. Also, artillery is so powerful in Battleground that a position that allows the defender to use his artillery effectively can break an attack by superior force. Antietam being a good example or Picket's charge.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:45 am 

I think your opponent is just a genius.

Fld. Lt. Brad Slepetz
4th "Hell's Rifles" Brigade
1st Division
III Corps
AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:07 pm 

Sure wonder what significant equats to, would 7000 casualties befor noon apply[:D] Worst slaughter I have seen in one of these before

Retired Lt Gen AoM

Never interrupt the enemy when he is doing something wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

From my experience if a position is unassailable then it is. The difference would be in opponent experience. I think that this skews the scenario balance enormously. Between 2 equal players the defender has the advantage. If you add in experience and maneuver into the equation you can alter the initial scenario balance. That being said, scenarios, with their limited scope can negate experience levels to a point.

Attack is more difficult, however you can demoralize an enemy on the offensive, and between different 'quality' opponents this will make the difference between victory and defeat. I think that we sometimes forget that we are playing against a human opponent with all the frailties and anxieties they have. If you can work on them then you may achieve a morale victory over you opponent. I have won battles were an opponent gave up before I was going to give up. This is the essence of these games. It’s not what you have physically on the battlefield it is the difference between the experiences level of the opponents and how you use what you have.

Sound strategic play that follows the rules of war will bode you well. Were many players fail is in the strategic play! They defend an area while the opponent maneuvers a superior force on a section of his line and overwhelms it. This seems like an obvious move and should be detected but is often ignored by an opponent.

Another valuable factor in an experienced player arsenal is the ability to adapt to a situation which means a new level of play is needed to gain a victory.

For those that are hesitant about playing experienced players you should welcome the chance. You will gain an enormous amount of insight and experience. You learn by playing a great player and very little by beating a weaker player, leave your egos aside, lose a few battles and learn and one day you will be able to beat your master. That is the learning experience. Think about it. How many times did it take you to beat the AI. It only made you better but then you are only as good as your weakest opponent.

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
CSA Reserve Corps
President, ACWGC