American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:49 pm 
Gents....
I am sending the Presidents a budget they may spend on items they should have already had an oppurtunity to build or purchase....these items will appear next turn magically....If you think you need gunboats, tranports, forts with heavy guns and such....you had best let them know.....Rregards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:33 pm 

Could someone please kindly explain (or point me to somewhere that does) what FTW is all about? I never really figured it out. Thanks.

Lt. Col. Brad Slepetz
III Corps
AoG

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:35 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by slepsta</i>
<br />Could someone please kindly explain (or point me to somewhere that does) what FTW is all about? I never really figured it out. Thanks.

Lt. Col. Brad Slepetz III Corps AoG
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well, for the details of it go to:
http://www.acwgc.org/games/ftw/

For the quick view, FtW is using a Strategic Game to handle the Civil War using two month turns with production, recruiting, and army level movement. At the end of the Strategic turn if any opposing armies end of in the same place there is a battle which is then resolved using the HPS Corinth game engine. Sort of like a Dave Litton blind game except no one is sure if they are hopelessly outnumber.[:D]

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:42 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i><br />
Visit the Fight the War website to learn the lost history.

Perchance did the light comic opera "The Eastern Theatre Commander" emerge from the mist? I am fond of it and would like to preserve it.

Thanks

<center>Maj Gen Mike Kaulbars
Commandant
Union Army War College

Image</center>

<center><font size="4"><i>"Intel gives us the edge..."</i></font id="size4">
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:01 pm 
Gentlemen,
I have extremely good news! It appears that the recruiting engine is finally nearing reality.....Notso has presented me with a version that appeared to work on all counts....he is now adding the ability for us to edit the numbers (so I can get the city populations correct, and so that we can put the armies in the right cities), once that is complete, he will add a table for the Presidents to manipulate percentages of men joining each branch of the service in each city.....At that point we will be able to make some dry runs and make sure there are no errors, then we can recruit for turn 5....Each President will be getting their tax money for their treasury also....Rough guess....we should finally be proceeding on in the next month (I think).....Things should smooth out from here, as we go on, more and more of the engine will be computerized.......Notso should be congratulated as he has had to figure out all my rules.....lol....then turn them into code.......poor guy.......Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:02 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i><br />
Visit the Fight the War website to learn the lost history.
Perchance did the light comic opera "The Eastern Theatre Commander" emerge from the mist? I am fond of it and would like to preserve it.

Thanks
[center]Maj Gen Mike Kaulbars
Commandant
Union Army War College

Marching on Washington, the Gen'ral hears a row,
He says "The Yanks are running, I hear their squealin now"!
He turns around in wonder, and what do you think he sees?
The Georgia Militia -- eating goober peas!

Eastern Theatre Commander

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:37 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by KWhitehead</i>
<br />

Marching on Washington, the Gen'ral hears a row,
He says "The Yanks are running, I hear their squealin now"!
He turns around in wonder, and what do you think he sees?
The Georgia Militia -- eating goober peas!

Eastern Theatre Commander

Thanks, but a poor imitation I fear.

This one is by Gomer and Stevenson, a justly obscure duo that toured the Arkansas back country from 1868 to 1869, claiming to present the latest Comic Opera from Chareston. The locals may not have been familiar with true comic opera, but they could spot bad performance.

However, it is alleged that they did inspire Samual Clemens to create similar characters for Huckleberry Finn (source McAuley, 1945)

Lt Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:20 pm 
"Reports so far indicate that the citizens of Nashville show up in droves on the main street as they welcome back their beloved general."

And as he turns the corner at the town square, he rides right smack into the occupying Union forces. Welcome back to prison General!

Col Eagle
1/1/XXIV/AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:20 pm 

Larry, I think you've won the "I've got the most titles" race![:D][:D][;)]

Keep up the good work, mate!

Regards

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
I'XVIII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:20 pm 

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Mark Oakford</i>
<br />Larry, I think you've won the "I've got the most titles" race![:D][:D][;)]

Keep up the good work, mate!

Regards

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
I/XVIII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:47 am 

Great writing Larry I enjoyed reading both articles.

I fact most all the writing in FTW has been great and I look almost ever day for something new in it to read.

General Willie Passmore

Willie Passmore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:26 am 

Lt. Quick,

I was expecting little Sarah to place the flower in the muzzle of the one of the guns -- or has that been done before? [:)]

Say, why don't you take time from your many 'desk' duties to fight a battle or two -- you've been in this organization far too long to still be a 2nd Louie. [:D]

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:20 am 

Lt. Quick,

Well, I'm not an 'admin weenie' as far as FtW is concerned (I have yet to even be assigned a command [:)]) but I am always open for another game. Well, not ALWAYS, but I did just have one opponent go on 'inactive status' so I could squeeze in another engagement now. (Of course, I anticipate the next round of FtW will be coming along any time now and I may find my plate full again.) My file turn-around is not as good as it used to be, but as long as you're not in too big of a hurry I'm sure something could be arranged.

I have all the Civil War games (Talonsoft and HPS), although I haven't loaded Franklin yet (I'm waiting for the next holiday so my wife will take it out of hiding and give it to me [:D]). I have loaded Ozark and Shiloh, but haven't completed any games from either one, even against the A/I. (Actually, I started a campaign as the Rebs in Ozark to familiarize myself with it and I think I'm about to lose my first battle against the A/I [V]!)

I prefer mid-length scenarios (40-70 turns) with few forces and plenty of room to maneuver. HPS Corinth seems to fit this best -- enough forces on both sides to do something with, yet few enough I feel like I can actually get to know them. I don't know how many are well-suited for multi-player play, however (with 2 to a side). Some of the scenarios do have two nice groupings for the Rebels (with Price handling one group and Van Dorn the other), but unfortunately I haven't studied the Federal side enough to know if they have a similar balance of forces. If you want to go one-on-one, though, I'd be interested in playing a Corinth scenario as the Yanks, if just to find out if they're really as weak as they seem to be whenever I attack there as the Rebs [:D]!

We can continue this off-line, but I'm open to the idea -- even if only to help you get enough points to put some more insignia on those shoulders of yours [:D]!

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:40 pm 
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This email was just sent to each President.......

Gentlemen,
Turn 5 recruitment has been executed.....numbers will be coming to you relatively soon....I need you both to send me your percentages of men in each city that you wish to serve in each branch of your military.....while I acknowledge that you may already have done this, please humor me and send it again.....I can then do the math and send you your forces in each city.....I will be also then doing the math on recruitment and supply costs and sending you your remaining tax dollars that you may spend on all manners of things (I don't advise prostitutes) outlined in the rules......Then we can get on with the buissiness of strategic movement and finally fighting....We are finally moving again.....Regards, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:05 pm 

Dearest Caroline,

I know your heart is heavy regarding the role I am about to perform for our government. While I, too, share your desire to see this war over quickly we must be patient as we rely on Providence and President Hinkle. I have inquired often to President Hinkle as to how I can best be of service. That he has not responded as of yet I do not take as any indication of his lack of faith in my abilities but in the great weight upon his shoulders to balance all and to put the most capable people in positions most advantageous to our Cause.

You know, as I have told you many times, I do not desire the glory of a warrior's wreath. I would be more than satisfied to retire to our home and live out the remainder of my days in peace, at your side. Until that time comes, however, I must be available to assist the President in any way as he struggles against those who would wantonly destroy our way of life.

If my duty is to remain here in Richmond, I will send for you to join me. If I am asked to take the field, however, you must remain where it is safe. I expect this matter to be resolved, one way or the other, in the near future, if rumors are to be believed.

Rest assured, my sweet Caroline, that I will not rest until the foe is vanquished from our land. Peace without liberty is no peace at all. But I do so look forward to returning to your arms once more and long for the day we can once again be together. Until then, may Providence watch over you and the household.

Your loving humble servant,
D. W. Mallory

David W. Mallory

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next