American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:23 pm 
Umm, what happened to the Fight the War thread? If it has to be removed because of size I hope we can archive it as there is a lot of info there.

Maj Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:51 am 
I looked as well - just disappeared? From lack of recent posts, or too many views/responses? Or a reb propaganda trick?
How many battles are still pending this round BTW? One or two I'm guessing? (Harrisburg/Nashville?)

BGen, 2/XIX/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:09 am 
Gentlemen,
I have no idea where the thread went??????? Perhaps the Federal Government has taken it down since it had information regarding the "invasion" of Pennsylvania, and the "liberation" of Maryland. I guess this will have to do for a replacement.....The battle at Harrisburg is nearly over....Nashville is looking for a Confederate replacement General since the one in charge went and got himself captured....Paducah was a mixed result.....Harpers ferry fell to the Union, and Baltimore is once again back in Confederate hands.....If someone with the club does know what happened to the thread, I personally would appreciate knowing.....regards, BG Hank Smith aka Jefferson H. Davis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:56 pm 
Gents,
As promised, I am working on the new strategic engine for the campaign....when I get the rough draft for the economics ready, I'll send them to Notso for his 3 cents (Notso never has only 2 cents). I think they will be in place for this next strategic turn.....
Regards,
Hank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:27 pm 
Headline Harrisburg:

<b></b>STARS AND BARS FLYING OVER THE CAPITOL!!!

State government fleeing towards Philidelphia?

Union army routed!

From this reporters perspective, it was only through the most imaginative tactics that the commanding general, Gen. Oakford was able to save his army. At every opportunity the general directed his fleeing men to hide behind the many barns and smoke houses dotting the landscape which were near to bursting with the year's bounty. As anticipated, the hungry rebels paused at every site to fill their growing supply trains. Local farmers here are outraged that they have been forced to accept southern currency in exchange for their provisions.

Sources close to the military blame this newest reverse on Gen Freemont and Gen Sumner. But to date, all attempts to locate the latest in an ever growing string of scapegoats has come up empty.

BG Ted Huffman
5/2/I/AoNV/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:27 am 

Ted,

Thank you for the lesson - and a very sound thrashing it was, too![B)][B)] I hope you took my example in retreat to heart as you retreat from Harrisburg (as you eventually must)...[:D]

I hope to be there! [}:)]

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
1/xviii, AoJ

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:34 am 

RICHMOND RAG – September 1861

<font size="6">SOUTHERN ARMS TRIUMPH IN THE EAST</font id="size6">
Headlines from Yankee papers smuggled into Virginia say it all:

UNION ARMY DEFENDING HARRISBURG ROUTED AND CAPITAL OCCUPIED

BALTIMORE SURRENDERED WITHOUT A FIGHT

PHILADELPHIA IN A PANIC, GOVERNOR CALLS FOR VOLUNTEERS TO DEFEND CITY

GOVERNMENT ARCHIVES MOVED TO SHIPS IN WASHINGTON HARBOR

WASHINGTON ISOLATED FROM REST OF COUNTRY, RAILS AND TELEGRAPH LINES CUT

REBEL CAVALRY RAIDS REPORTED NEAR PHILADELPHIA, ANNAPOLIS AND WASHINGTON

REBEL SIMPATHIZERS IN EASTERN MARYLAND CALLING FOR VOLUNTEERS TO JOIN THE REBEL ARMIES

MARYLAND GOVERNOR JOINS UNION FLEET IN FLEEING THE NOW UNDEFENDED CITY OF ANNAPOLIS TO AVOID CAPTURE

RUMOR THAT MARYLAND LEGISLATURE HAS CALLED INTO SESSION A CONVENTION TO VOTE ON SECESSION

LEADERS OF WESTERN MARYLAND VOW TO FORM NEW STATE IF MARYLAND VOTES FOR SECESSION

CONGRESS CALLS FOR A COMMITTEE ON THE CONDUCT OF THE WAR TO BE FORMED TO INVESTIGATE WHY THE CAPITAL WAS LEFT UNDEFENDED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:53 am 
Missy came running into the parlour clutching the latest issue of the Richmond Rag.

"Oh Pater, this is wonderful news. Surely the war will be over in no time! Why ever did you not tell us? You never tell us anything that you do in the War Dept! you can be so difficult."

"Ahh, yes, yes. Wonderful news indeed. Now you know my Dear that I cannot discuss these mattters until the Cabinet chooses to share them with the public. The Fate of the Confederacy rests on their shoulders and we must trust their judgement."

"Not even with your own family? it's so ridiculous! I think you are just being contrary."

"My Dear, now it is you who are being contrary. Run along and ask Emma when I can expect my supper"

Weariness flooded over him as he watched his daughters retreating back.

Tell his family indeed; how could he tell them what the President had apparently only just made up that morning for the benefit of the press? and he certainly could not tell them the truth. No, they must not know the truth - that Union forces had cut off pretty much the entire Confederate force in the East.

Attempts to link up or at least get some news found only Union Cavalry squadrons on misty lanes, batteries at crossroads, patrols on every forest track. A shroud had been thrown over the entire theatre and the Confederate Goverment could only peer futilely as through a dark glass into an unlit room, trying to guess what the darkness meant.

AS for Mortimer's braying for a force to break through and rescue the Eastern Armies, well there was simply nothing left in the East. A few token garrison forces, nothing that could be called an Army. Thus far they had not managed to get so much as a single rider through; reinforcement or supply was impossible; talk of a relieving force was utter idiocy.

Of course as the Secretary had said, for all they knew it could be true. Anything could be happening. Lincoln had not yet demanded immediate surrender so it was unlikely that the armies had been destroyed. Damnation! what was happening in the North?

Thaddeus reached for the decanter. To be sure they got news enough from the West, and that was perhaps worse than silence. Only defeat and disaster there; cities lost, generals captured, forces destroyed. Too much news from the West.

And from the North only this vast smothering silence.

3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:19 am 
My Dearest Stephania Belle,
It is with a heavy heart that I inform you that I have been captured by the Federals in the recent hostilities in defense of Nashville. I assure you that other than my pride I am presently uninjured. The Federals are not being particularly hospitable, as there are guards who observe my movements at all times, not withstanding my word of honor not to attempt escape, and to await proper exchange! But then, my dear, those people have never understood the meaning of honor, have they?
I will tell you that my capture was entirely avoidable, and I am utterly disgusted by the course of events that led to its occurance. I was ordered to a position holding the right flank of our army. I pointed out to General Dragan that our flank was in the air! He did not respond! I repeated to him thrice more that we were extremely vulverable with our flank in the air, and the first time he merely blinked. The second time he coughed.....the third time he venomously told me that I should obey his orders without question, and that he was in control of the situation.....I had no choice at this point but to do my duty....The Federals then advanced upon my position in heavy force (likely more than twice our total strength)easily flanking us....As they were doing this, I sent several messages to General Dragan informing him of the great peril we were in, and asking to be able to adjust our lines accordingly. Each time I recieved a reply ordering me to hold my position at all peril and forbidding me to save myself or my command. He even dared to question my bravery at one point! My boys fought gallantly as could be expected considering that they were assailed from every side by superior numbers, but we were overwhelmed! I can only hope we bought them enought time with our blood that they were able to save the rest of the army here. As I write you this correspondence, I must admit I am experiencing grave doubts as to whether he will have the cranial fortitude to manuver his forces to safety. He had better hope he does so though as I may be tempted to settle the issues I have with him if the Federals apprehend him!
Well, my dearest, give my children my love, and tell them that I shall see them again sometime in the future, if not in this lifetime, then in the next. Tell David to be vigilant in his duties on General Quick's staff, and please tell him how very, very proud I am of his decision to serve our cause at his tender age. I know he will do our family great honor. Please know in your heart that I am here in this situation physically, but in my heart of hearts, I am there beside you for now and all time.

Your loving husband,
General Henry M. Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:35 pm 
My Dearest Henry,
I must say that I was saddened and broken hearted to hear of your misfortune. I believe this may be a long war, and I will not be complete untill the day comes when you are returned to us safely. Your having been gone these 11 long months has been almost more than I have been able to bear. I am truly proud to hear of your heroism (not to mention that you were actually able to stay sober.....I know how you tend to freeze in stressfull circumstances....), and that you did your duty as well as could be done under the circumstances confronting you. We pray for your safe return.
However, there is more news for you from home. A few days ago I was in the parlor when I thought I heard the cry of a child. I went to the front porch and there in a basket was a newborn baby girl. We do not know from where this child came, but I must tell you that I have become quite taken with her. She does bear a striking resemblance to our neighbor and your old friend General Van Dorn. He, as you know has been serving our fledgling nation also, having left within 3 months of your departure. She also seems to have eyes the same color as mine and her hair is also the same light red as mine. What a strange coincedence. I have decided that we shall raise her as if she was our own. I will not hear any argument on this matter, and consider it closed. When you are exchanged, hopefully you will be able to get a brief furlough home and I shall present her to you.
On a side note I must tell you that I seem to have had some unexplained weight gain. Your little Stephania Belle is not so slim and trim as she once was, but I shall endeavor to lose the weight before your return.
Your ever faithful wife,
Stephania Belle Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:11 pm 

<center>*************************<font size="5"><font face="Andale Mono"><font color="red">GENTLEMEN OF THE SOUTH</font id="red"></font id="Andale Mono"></font id="size5">**************************</center>

<center><font color="beige"><b>In times of trial and peril it is the duty of every Free and Honorable Citizen to step forward and do his part to protect the sovereignty of this beloved and cherished land.</b></font id="beige"></center>

<center><font size="5"><font face="Andale Mono"><font color="red">THIS IS SUCH A TIME!</font id="red"></font id="Andale Mono"></font id="size5"></center>

<center><font color="beige"><b>The Confederacy has seen a wasting away of its political heads, the Vice President and Secretary of War positions are currently vacant.</b></font id="beige"></center>

<center><font size="5"><font face="Georgia"><font color="red"><b>NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT</b></font id="red"></font id="Georgia"></font id="size5"></center>

<center><font size="5"><font face="Impact"><font color="red">Protect your freedoms!</font id="red">
Preserve your God Given Rights!
<font color="red">Answer the Call and serve your Country!</font id="red"></font id="Impact"></font id="size5"></center>

<center>*********** <font size="6"><font face="Georgia"><b> <font color="blue">JOIN THE FTW!</font id="blue"> </b></font id="Georgia"></font id="size6"> ***********</center>

<font color="blue"><b>Brig.Gen. R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:04 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robert</i>
<br /><center>*************************<font size="5"><font face="Andale Mono"><font color="red">GENTLEMEN OF THE SOUTH</font id="red"></font id="Andale Mono"></font id="size5">**************************</center>

<center><font color="beige"><b>In times of trial and peril it is the duty of every Free and Honorable Citizen to step forward and do his part to protect the sovereignty of this beloved and cherished land.</b></font id="beige"></center>

<center><font size="5"><font face="Andale Mono"><font color="red">THIS IS SUCH A TIME!</font id="red"></font id="Andale Mono"></font id="size5"></center>

<center><font color="beige"><b>The Confederacy has seen a wasting away of its political heads, the Vice President and Secretary of War positions are currently vacant.</b></font id="beige"></center>

<center><font size="5"><font face="Georgia"><font color="red"><b>NOW IS THE TIME TO ACT</b></font id="red"></font id="Georgia"></font id="size5"></center>

<center><font size="5"><font face="Impact"><font color="red">Protect your freedoms!</font id="red">
Preserve your God Given Rights!
<font color="red">Answer the Call and serve your Country!</font id="red"></font id="Impact"></font id="size5"></center>

<center>*********** <font size="6"><font face="Georgia"><b> <font color="blue">JOIN THE FTW!</font id="blue"> </b></font id="Georgia"></font id="size6"> ***********</center>

<font color="blue"><b>Brig.Gen. R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

OK how do I join the war??

CPT D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA
http://users.adelphia.net/~sapper99/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:10 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.H.Smith</i>
OK how do I join the war?? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Report to Cincinatti for placement in a Union prison (saves everyone time and trouble). Your assignment and orders will catch up with you there.

Failing that, contact Hank Smith who's email is inconveniently not on the Jefferson Davis posts; then you can report to prison later.

3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:53 pm 
Gentlemen,
I have cleaned up all battles, with the exception of the Battle at Nashville which is nearing a conclusion......Harpers Ferry, Nashville, and Paducah are all in Union hands.....Baltmore and Harrisburg in Confederate hands.....what a mess!!!!!.....Larry and I are continueing work on the new strategic engine which we hope to begin using this turn....it may cause a slight delay in the next turn being made however....I will try to post in the next day or two, some of the features of the new system....I will tell you now the Bob Wier is making one heck of a map for it! Regards to all,

Hank Smith

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:18 am 
The Hound apologises for the late arrival of this issue: he has been embroiled in a dispute with the landlord. At this point we cannot say if the Hound will have to move to new premises, but his loyal readers can rest assured that he is alive and well.

The late summer's campaigning is almost over. The results of it have been more than satisfactory for the Union. Nashville, Paducah and Harper's Ferry have all fallen to our arms, while the Rebels have isolated themselves in Baltimore and Harrisburg; a long column of looting and theft in their wake. Emergency measures have been declared, and destruction of all foodstuffs and other supplies useful to the Rebels is underway in the relevant areas.

The President made the following brief statement:

'The Rebels sought to isolate Washington and sow panic in the East. They have failed. Soon the cold winds of winter will be upon us, and the Rebels must move South again. When they do we shall be waiting. They will leave behind every barrel of ale and ear of corn they have stolen, and they will leave behind a hill of their dead.

To the citizens of Baltimore I say this: remain calm. Any who sympathise with the Rebels' cause should leave with them when they depart, as soon they must. Their property is forfeit, and their persons no longer protected by the laws of Maryland or of the Union. We do not love traitors: for them, justice will be swift and harsh.'