American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:34 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i>
<br />Hey Rich W., just noticed that the HPS website lists this for Shiloh:

CAMPAIGN SHILOH
Bobby Lee takes command of the ANV.
By John Tiller

Found it at:

http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/products/products.html

Cant wait to take Stuart around the Union gunboats rear and destroy their fuel supplies!

Col. Peters, 3rd Brigade
2nd Cavalry Division, II Corps, AoA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Col. Peters,

Let's see, that would have been after Johnston was shot . . . yup, that sounds about right [:o)] !

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:27 pm 

Hey Rich,
Got my copy of Shiloh last week and have taken a short game against the A/I and it's a hoot, the game is really enjoyable. Like the size of the maps and number of games. Waiting for General Lastowicka to get his copy. Also got your other game Franklin and it is very good.

Major Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
4/2/II AotM CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:32 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by boilertech</i>
<br />Hey Rich,
Got my copy of Shiloh last week and have taken a short game against the A/I and it's a hoot, the game is really enjoyable. Like the size of the maps and number of games. Waiting for General Lastowicka to get his copy. Also got your other game Franklin and it is very good.

Major Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
4/2/II AotM CSA

Thank you for your kind comments. Be sure to get the latest patch for Franklin.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:03 pm 

I recieved my Campaign Shiloh game a few days ago. I have a campaign getting ready to start. I opened the historical battle scenario and looked at the Rebel OOB. The unit morale of most regiments is a lot higher than what was originally used in the Talonsoft game and the 1.01a game mod. In particular, Cleburne's troops are now good morale troops while I recall quite a few D and E units. Same goes for Statham's troops with the rifles. Did anyone else notice this and whythe dramatic change?

LTG L. G. Bertolino
The Pelican State Brigade
Commander, Bishop's Corps, AotM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:48 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tulane83</i>
<br />I recieved my Campaign Shiloh game a few days ago. I have a campaign getting ready to start. I opened the historical battle scenario and looked at the Rebel OOB. The unit morale of most regiments is a lot higher than what was originally used in the Talonsoft game and the 1.01a game mod. In particular, Cleburne's troops are now good morale troops while I recall quite a few D and E units. Same goes for Statham's troops with the rifles. Did anyone else notice this and whythe dramatic change?

LTG L. G. Bertolino

That's a fair question.

I prefer to error towards playability when determining qualities. I believe that Cleburne's men, and others, were undeserving of D and E ratings. These types of ratings, using the current game engine, would greatly encourage exceesive routing, especially among the Confederates. Campaign Shiloh is not intended to duplicate BG Shiloh. I developed my qualities through playtesting, historical performances, and my own educated guesses. I have no mathematical formula.

I'm always open minded, so if this becomes a problem, they may need adjusting. Try playing and see what you think. I hope you enjoy it.

Rich

BTW, I hope you guys will read the <b>campaign notes</b>, they will explain some of these differences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:52 pm 

Rich,
thanks for the quick response. You gave a good response. I can't wait to see how it all plays out. When I finish my current campaign I will take a peek at the Yank morales to see how Peabody and company faired.

LTG L. G. Bertolino

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:30 pm 

Hi guys,

I'm interested in any more feedback. I would like to submit a patch soon. So far I've noted the following:

1) Engine patch regarding the ability to surround units with leaders and supply wagons. This has been fixed and will be including in the first patch

2) Incorrect nationality for supply wagon located near New Madrid in scn 130

3) A Union Cav unit has a faulty 3D icon (its base is empty) in the New Madrid OOB

But that's it so far.

Anything else?

I'd love to hear about some on going battles. I've been reading with interest the HACW thread.

Thanks

Rich Walker

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:42 am 

Hi, Rich,

The only thing I have noticed is that there is a hill in the middle of the Tennessee River in a Shiloh scenario. You can select contours and see it. I forgot to see if you could get a better view with a gunboat parked there. If not, it probably isn't important.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:55 am 

<center><font size="6">TSUNAMI!</font id="size6"></center>

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:18 am 

Thanks Mike,

I don't have my CD at the moment. Would you know what hex that is?

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:42 am 

Hi, Rich,

It's hex 58,40.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:50 am 

My chief complaint with Shiloh so far is that MY INFANTRY DOESN'T FIRE DEFENSIVELY!! [:(!][V][xx(]

My gunboats do.

I have submitted this problem to Rich Hamilton and am now waiting for his verdict. Until then, the campaign is on hold.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:56 pm 

Rich,

So far the game seems ok to me, no glitches in the engine and the defensive fire seems better with the final fire before melee option.

In doing some research for a color units.bmp I have found a couple errors in the oobs.

McCulloch's Cav in the New Madrid, New Madrid Polk Dorn Grant and Shiloh & New Madrid OOB's has the following entry

U 401 4 I k 37 01 McCulloch's Cav(dm)

the I for unittype with the 01 for its 3D icon will result in the unit disappearing when placed in column since there is no infantry column in the 01 position.

The same problem exists with this union unit in the Flotilla Brigade in the same oobs.

U 87 4 I R 73 00 Cav Company

Finally I realize that using the B/W pictures allows you to use the same pictures for both sides but is does produce a problem for those of us wishing to make our own color units.bmp. I've gotten around the artillery by using pictures of guns without any side although the use of the same picture ID to represent different gun types in the oob causes other problems. However there are three instances in the Shiloh OOB's that are going to be a real problem. There is one reb unit, the 52nd Tennessee using picture 20 and another the 28th Tennessee, using 21 while all other units pointing to these pictures are union. Also picture 92 is being used for both union and rebel gunboats.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:05 pm 

Mike--Thanks

Walter- Hmmm strange??? They don't fire at all, or not enough in your opinion?? At any rate, that is not a designer's fixable problem, and it should be the same for all HPS games. Can you give examples of circumstance?

Ken-- Thanks, I was aware of the flotilla cav, but not the other, I'll add it. I'll try and change the pictures for you, but for the gunboats, there are no good pictures of Confederate gunboats. You just want the Union to all be the same and the rebels to be the same??

Thanks guys, this really does help me!!!

Rich W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:33 am 

Rich,

If you can keep the picture assignment to one side, at least within each engine it would make things simpler for us. As to CSA boats, I've found a few usuable color ones on the web and there is a large list of B/W ones that can be modified to fit into the 70x86 size used in the files at

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-u ... a-name.htm.

According to the website these are all in the public domain and can be used by anyone.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next