American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:13 pm 
I would concur with what seems to be the general opinion here. I can remember many times playing the old Avalon Hill games where either an opponent or a teammate and I would end a game in cross words. You know the kind, he doesn't roll the dice right or his dice just rolled across the board and wiped out dozens of counters, or he didn't follow my orders and his ship just rammed my flag ship ...those sort of things. Lots of yelling sometimes, but it was funny because with in the next day or two we would be back playing like nothing happened. I say let Larry back in. We're gamers, all of us, so let's just get back to what we love to do.

BG Ted Huffman
5/2/I/AoNV/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:21 pm 

I fail to see why someone with passion for the club/game should be excluded, provided the club can survive with him as a member. I say he should rejoin, but then again that is not mine to decide. (He could have taken the dishonest approach, joining as say "Larry NOT SO Quick this time").

Feeling wordy at the moment, I would add I thought Thomas Paine was a very interesting character of history. The Age of Enlightenment would not be the same without him (if not familar check an encyclopedia and look this fellow up, very interesting), while one certainly can think on many things he might have been mistaken, it nor the revolution would not have been the same. Does this hold true for Larry Notso not being in the club as well---we won't know if he is not allowed to return. Perhaps I am pulling a bit to far from the point here.

But I would say don't send Larry away to be imprisoned in the French Revolution.

MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:27 am 

General Peters,

You made a good point and maybe your correct in the way to handle this. <b>I would like to suggest each person that has posted to this post to take the time go to the main page and click on the Cabinet link. e-mail all member and president. </b>

Willie Passmore

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:09 am 

Dear Bill,

Good point, How about one person, Major General Don Golen for example, take the matter to the Cabnet and make a formal request to have Larry Notso Quick reinstated. Acting as his sponsor, he should reference this open forum discusion as their support. After all a pitition does carry weight with elected members of congress. If the members of the cabnet decide perhaps a group vote could be taken to make sure it is not just the vocal minority speaking, similar to the vote on changes to the promotion system. I would like to see our new political system (elected members of the cabnet) work for the members in total.

BG Joseph C. Mishurda

Joe Mishurda, The Cast Iron Division
2nd Div. XXV Corp, AoJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:44 am 
Bill,
I do respect your right to your opinion, however, I do feel that this forum is exactly the right place to get out any information that needs to be out on any subject relating to the club....I'll take the advice of Sir Willie and write my congressman....lol.....but I'll also feel free to express my opinion on here.....Part of my opinion, is that those in power should absolutely read these threads and strongly take into consideration the desires of the membership.......in other words, I think that your opinion on here should count with those in power.....as should mine....The reason that I don't think things like this should be kept off the board is that would allow those in power to operate in a shadowy way, without their actions being known to the general constituency....after all, I don't think the General constitunency was aware that Larry had reapplied and been turned down......Now they are....I view that as a good thing....Now, maybe, they will take notice and change their votes as they should (in my opinion)......Well, that is my opinion, if that gets me thrown out of the club, then so be it....I don't however, think that is likely over this opinion, stated civilly as it has been...Basically to sum it up.....I dislike any attempt at censorship in any form.....Oh well, good luck to you, and Regards, BG Hank Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:58 am 

Thanks, Bill, for the well-reasoned post. The Cabinet is the place for this discussion.

Lt. Gen. Matt Perrenod
<i>The Blue Ghost</i>
VIII Corps, Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:18 am 

"Total power corrupts totally."

If Bill is right then we should shut down the forum.

Maybe that would be too drastic, we should ask the cabinet first.

If Bill is right then we need to 'privately and secretly' email our cabinet members for pre-approved messages that can be posted on the forum.

The clubs have been around just long enough now for a few to act as though they are their private fiefdoms, and all should suffer for the cause.

When will they realize these clubs exists for the enjoyment of their members not the pleasure of the cabinets?

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:39 am 

The Cabinet is taking this request under advisement.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
Cabinet Member, ACWGC
President, Colonial Campaigns Club
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:56 am 
Al you are correct, the club exists for the enjoyment of it's members, so could you please quit taking shots at the people who help run this club so that as a non cabinet member I may enjoy this club and this tavern. I did not say anything after the first or second but now it is getting old. Please take no offense, I do not mean any.

Thanks.

Maj. Gen. Chris Cross
Western Theater Commander
CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:00 am 

God bless the Cabinet. [:D]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:44 am 

Gentlemen, the Cabinet has noted your requests that Larry Quick be let back in the club. Most of you generally state what a nice guy Larry is even though he tends to, as we say here in West Texas, "let his mouth overload his butt". I too have received some very nice letters from Larry. However, myself and several other Cabinet members, have also received other communications from Larry where he, more then once, basically threatened to disrupt the club to the extant of his ability, which he claimed was considerable, if we didn't agree to his proposals. In the end these type notes, along with some rather rude behavior and name calling, in private emails and in public forums, that led to his dismissal from the club. However, since it has been approximately 9 months since Larry's expulsion from the club we are willing to listen to an appeal for reinstatement from him. However, the Cabinet is not prepared to pursue this appeal process through a public forum. As we would ask any other member who was expelled and wanted reinstatement, we require a letter to members of the Cabinet on why we should consider his request for reinstatement and giving us some assurance that we will not see a repeat of past behavior. If any of you wish to send letters of endorsement or letters wishing to keep him in his current status then please feel free to send them to the Cabinet.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:13 am 

Thank you Mark, a fair and reasoned response with enough information given to allow us to know the thinking of the cabinet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:45 pm 
Ok, I know I am new to the club, but I have been reading this post for two days now ( my time) and I don't see the problem.

Ok the guy did something bad. Yes apparently it was bad enough to kick him out.

Heres my take: This guy not even being a member of the club has spent his own money supporting this club. Does anything more need to be said?? I wouldn't be able to post here if not for him.

Being a soldier, I know there are times when we step on IT. Does anyone think I have spent 17 years in the Army and never stepped on it???? NO WAY!! We all do.!! Is there anyone here that has never stepped on it?? probally not.

I am sorry to see that we have not heard from the cabinet on this issue by now.

I ask you this: Do we live in a society and have a club that cannot toloerate a man blowing off steam/ speaking his piece/ steppin on it/ ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS??

If so then maybe I am in the wrong club. This is not what I thought the ACWGC was all about. I find it deplorable that we are even having this dicussion.

I know this is long for someone with NO KNOWKEDGE of what happend , but still I felt obligated to say something!

Respectfully,

CPT D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA
http://users.adelphia.net/~sapper99/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:11 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D.H.Smith</i>
<br />I am sorry to see that we have not heard from the cabinet on this issue by now.

Respectfully,

CPT D.H. Smith
3/1/III Corps,AotM,CSA
http://users.adelphia.net/~sapper99/index.htm

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Captain Smith,

Ah, but the Cabinet has replied, and publicly. General Mark Nelms' post (a couple down) is the official response of the Cabinet.

I know it seems the response was slow in coming. But given that we can't meet face-to-face and have discussions I think a response within 48 hours of the original post was pretty good. I know I received somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 emails from the various Cabinet members since this post first appeared.

I wasn't on the Cabinet last summer when the fracas nearly tore the club apart, and I had no idea how active the Cabinet was in handling the matter. This time I am on the Cabinet, placed there by a vote of the senior CSA commanders. I was very pleased with the calm and reflective opinions shared during the Cabinet discussions, even given the short time frame. And I think the decision reached was a fair one to all concerned.

Your humble servant,
LGen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - Lieutenant General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:12 pm 

Just so you know Captain Smith, Larry Quick has nothing to do with the availability of this forum.

General Mark Nelms
Union Chief of the Army

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next