American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:04 am 

I am but a few weeks out of West Point, with a question. I see many players who are searching for battles, and requesting that they be mirror matches . . . I know what mirror matches are, and that they can be either simultaneous or consecutive, but what I'd like to know is what the advantages or preferences of such an arrangement are, and why they seem appropriate for several tournaments I've seen?

Sincerely,

Lt Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:31 am 
The down side of mirror matches is that it ruins any secrets of the battle so that there are no surprises as in when it's played blind. But beyond that nothing wrong with mirror as then if it's not balanced you'll see who the better player is.

BGen, 2/XIX/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:41 am 

I agree with Bill and Scott on Mirror matches leveling the playing field. It is also a good way to see how the other half lives in that each guy will obviously be playing the opposing side in one of the matches. It also requires a larger committment as you are indeed playing two matches.Having said all that I have played BGG 13h and a in mirror matches several times and really enjoyed it. Again if you do a large one its quite a committment!!

Major General Tony Best
AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:06 am 
Generally agreed about mirror matches.

In fact I am surprised more Rebs don't insist on them given that so many (by no means all) of the histoical scenarios have IMHO a Union advantage. And of course for Shiloh, Chickamauga, New Market, etc ... darn right I want to play the mirror [:D].

I would add that the consecutive mirror still gives an advantage to the one who is the attacker in the 2nd match as he has detailed knowledge about the defense and generally more lattitude in using his forces.

While the simultaneous mirror corrects this, it lacks that wonderful uncertainty of your first time with a scn.

Even with a match you have played before it is unusual (for me anyway) to remember the OOB and reinforcements exactly, so there is still uncertainty. In a simultaneous mirror there is no doubt, which I find detracts from my enjoyment.

But all of this is very geared towards BG and stand alone HPS scns - is anyone playing mirror campaigns?

<center>Maj Gen Mike Kaulbars
Commandant
Union Army War College

Image</center>

<center><font size="4"><i>"Intel gives us the edge..."</i></font id="size4">
Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:14 am 
I didn't even know there was another McBride in the Club. Hey Dwight, you'd look much better in grey.

Gen. Den McBride
ANV, C.S.A.
ACWGC Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:34 am 

[quote]<i>Originally posted by Bill Peters</i><br />"And here I thought he was your son!"

I am at least nine years' Den McBride's senior, so I'll make a bargain with the respected Confederate: I'll respect his rank if he'll respect his elders! (...and get me a pillow for my feet to accompany that lemonade, son).

Sincerely,

Lt Dwight McBride
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:59 am 
Dwight,

Here's your lemonade and a couple of pillows. It's probably good we're on opposite sides. Who could withstand a McBride & McBride tag team? [8D]

Gen. Den McBride
ANV, C.S.A.
ACWGC Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:29 am 

I do not know of any ancestors from Canada. What part do you hide in? . . . Most of my ancestors I'm aware of came from the Ohio valley area. I'm told a grandfather was a railroad engineer for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show in it's closing years.

Sincerely,

Lt Dwight McBride
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:32 am 
My family has been in the Toronto - Hamilton part of Ontario for several generations. I'm told I have some distant relatives in South Carolina an Ohio. I also believe I had a great-great aunt who was in fact a horse in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. [:o)]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DwightMcBride</i>
<br />I do not know of any ancestors from Canada. What part do you hide in? . . . Most of my ancestors I'm aware of came from the Ohio valley area. I'm told a grandfather was a railroad engineer for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show in it's closing years.

Sincerely,

Lt Dwight McBride
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Gen. Den McBride
ANV, C.S.A.
ACWGC Cabinet Member