American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:40 pm 

Continuing the timeline series:
<font size="5">1861</font id="size5">
August 10 - Wilson Creek,MO - Confederate

<font size="5">1862</font id="size5">
August 5 - Baton Rouge, LA - Union
August 6-9 - Kirksville, MO - Union
August 9 - Donaldsonville, LA - Union -(Naval Action)
August 9 - Cedar Mountain, VA - Confederate
August 11 - Independence, MO (I) - Confederate
August 15-16 - Lone Jack, MO - Confederate

<font size="5">1863</font id="size5">

July 24-25 - Big Mound, ND - Union (all 3 vs Sioux)
July 26 - Dead Buffalo Lake, ND - Union
July 28 - Stony Lake, ND - Union

<font size="5">1864</font id="size5">

July 27-29 - Deep Bottom, VA - Confederate
July 28-29 - Kildeer Mountain, ND - Union (Vs Sioux)
July 28 - Ezra Church, GA - Union
August 1 - Folck's Mill, MD - Inconclusive
August 2-20 - Mobile Bay, AL - Union- Naval Action
August 5-7 - Utoy Creek, GA - Inconclusive
August 7 - Moorefield, WVA - Union
August 13-20 - Deep Bottom, VA (II) - Confederate
August 16 - Guard Hill, VA - Inconclusive
August 14-15 - Dalton, GA - Union

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:29 am 

General Sands,

Two questions:

1) Was the August 6-9, 1862 battle fought at or near Kirksville, or Kirkville? My son is attending college at Truman State University, in Kirksville, and he would be thrilled (yeah, right) to know a four-day civil war battle raged there. (He says it's one of those towns where they roll up the sidewalks at night!)

2) In the 1863 battles, were the Sioux led by commissioned Confederate officers (like Stand Watie), or were these actions independent of the War Between the States?

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:21 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br />General Sands,

Two questions:

1) Was the August 6-9, 1862 battle fought at or near Kirksville, or Kirkville? My son is attending college at Truman State University, in Kirksville, and he would be thrilled (yeah, right) to know a four-day civil war battle raged there. (He says it's one of those towns where they roll up the sidewalks at night!)

2) In the 1863 battles, were the Sioux led by commissioned Confederate officers (like Stand Watie), or were these actions independent of the War Between the States?

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yes, it was KirkSville. (a slight typo) And it is the Kirksville located in NE Missouri, where Truman State is located. This was a relatively small battle between 1000 Union (infantry and cavalry) vs a 2500 man force called the Missouri Brigade. It cemented the northern part of Missouri for the Union.

Stand Watie was principal chief of a faction of the Cherokee Nation, but att the start of the Civil War, he ended up as principal chief of the entire Cherokees. He was commissioned a Colonel in the CSA and led the Cherokee Regiment of Mounted Rifles. They fought in something like 18 battles in Indian Territory and outside of it, in battles like Elkhorn Tavern. Watie was promoted to Brigadier General and was the only Native American to achieve general rank in the Civil War. He was (by some accounts) the last CSA general to surrender his command.
Yes, it was KirkSville. (a slight typo) And it is the Kirksville located in NE Missouri, where Truman State is located. This was a relatively small battle between 1000 Union (infantry and cavalry) vs a 2500 man force called the Missouri Brigade. It cemented the northern part of Missouri for the Union.

The Sioux battles took place in the Dakotas, with forces of General Sibley and General Sully vs various Sioux tribes, along with Blackfeet Indians, but mostly Teton, Hunkapapa and Santee. These Dakota (Lakota) Sioux started attacking into Minnesota. Sitting Bull, of Little Big Horn fame, was a Hunkapapa Sioux and helped organize these raids.

He was a thorn in the Union side and kept things stirred up in the area, throughout the war. On his promotion, he was given command of the Indian Brigade. Other Indian activity was conducted in the Dakotas.

The Sioux battles took place in the Dakotas, with forces of General Sibley and General Sully vs various Sioux tribes, along with Blackfeet Indians, but mostly Teton, Hunkapapa and Santee. These Dakota (Lakota) Sioux started attacking into Minnesota. Sitting Bull, of Little Big Horn fame, was a Hunkapapa Sioux and helped organize these raids.

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:23 am 

General Mallory,

The Sioux uprising had no connection to the Confederacy. Essentially,
Sioux on the reservation up in Minnesota felt they were being mistreated by the Indian Agent and went on the rampage. It was touch and go for awhile until a force led by a Gen Sibley defeated the indians. I think
19 of the Sioux leaders were hung. I want to say the whole thing lasted a month or two.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:07 am 

General Sands,

Thank you for the additional details. I've passed this link on to my son.

Do you have an online reference for the Battle of Kirksville? (Although I'm not sure I want to publicize it if 1000 Union men soundly defeated 2500 southerners [V]!)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:58 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br />General Sands,

Thank you for the additional details. I've passed this link on to my son.

Do you have an online reference for the Battle of Kirksville? (Although I'm not sure I want to publicize it if 1000 Union men soundly defeated 2500 southerners [V]!)

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
http://americancivilwar.com/statepic/mo/mo013.html
http://college.hmco.com/history/readers ... illemi.htm
http://users.aol.com/dlharvey/1862bat.htm
http://bartonpara.com/civilwar/battles/
http://www.cr.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/mo013.htm
http://kirksvilledailyexpress.com/artic ... /news2.txt
http://www.fi.edu/fellows/fellow4/may99 ... sheet.html
http://www.civilwarstlouis.com/History2 ... tbyvol.htm

ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:50 am 

General Sands,

Wow! Now I see why the 2500 southerners were whipped by 1500 Federals -- the Unionists were all well-armed and supplied, whereas most of the southerners were unarmed, untrained recruits.

One of the articles (from the Kirksville newspaper) claimed this was the northernmost battle of the civil war west of the Mississippi River. I guess the author didn't consider the North Dakota actions against the Indians 'civil war actions' [8D].

Now I need to check out my copy of HPS Campaign: Ozarks and see if by any chance this battle is included. (I wouldn't consider Kirksville in the Ozarks myself, but I wouldn't consider Boonville in the Ozarks, either.)

Again, thanks for all the references!

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory