American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: surrounding tactics
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 2:10 pm 
Is it a proper tactic to use limbered artillary to surround a unit for melee or to aid in isolating a unit, I've never done this and don't want to do something the club has deemed inappropriate.

Lt. Col. D. Groce
AoP

David Groce
Lt. Col.
3/2/1 AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:11 pm 

This is one I never thought of and isn't covered by the ACWGC House Rules as far as I can tell. It is also probably a good candidate for inclusion along with wagons and officers.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:18 pm 

I would agree with Gen Whitehead.

Major General Jeff Bangma
Commander, I "Fighting First" Corps
Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:22 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by David Groce</i>
<br />Is it a proper tactic to use limbered artillary to surround a unit for melee or to aid in isolating a unit, I've never done this and don't want to do something the club has deemed inappropriate.

Lt. Col. D. Groce
AoP

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well, I think that one is a difficult one. Quite often, if I am going to use a ZOC kill (usually on a routed unit)I will put an artillery unit with an infantry unit, as the artillery packs more punch than an infantry unit. On the turn you move it in, you cannot unlimber, but you have to wait for the next turn.

I have moved a solo artillery unit into a ZOC kill zone, if I don't have the infantry available, but I would place it one hex away from the enemy unit, just in case.

Most of the time, I do not melee a ZOC'd unit, but shoot it out of existence and save my units from being "D"ed.

I think I have heard that officers and wagons WILL NOT (I don't know if it that already done or in in the works)exert any ZOC, so it is moot to include them in a "house rule".

I think, however, that you can have any rule you want to have, as long as your opponent agrees before you start the game. I cannot remember setting any house rules in any HPS game in the ACW in any game I have played and seldom have ever played with any house rules, in the ACW.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:27 pm 

House rules will no longer be necessary. In Shiloh and soon the other games, neither leaders, supply wagons or limbered arty can be used to surround a unit to prevent retreats after a melee.

This engine change was tested and intended for Shiloh, but due to a slight oversight, the change didn't make it on the production CD, but will come out in next months patch for Shiloh.

Rich W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:29 pm 
As KW said, I've never agreed with allowing solo limbered guns to go adjacent to the enemy to assist in a surround. Especially with the newer games that have a gazillion 1 & 2-gun sections. Having 3 of these with a total of one battery of limbered guns on three hexsides and one infantry unit on one other doing the melee seems a bit bogus to cause the wipeout of a seven or eight hundred man regt.
But as Ernie pointed out, it's one of those things that should be agreed or not before starting.

MajGen, 2/XIX/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:36 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rich Walker</i>
<br />House rules will no longer be necessary. In Shiloh and soon the other games, neither leaders, supply wagons or limbered arty can be used to surround a unit to prevent retreats after a melee.

This engine change was tested and intended for Shiloh, but due to a slight oversight, the change didn't make it on the production CD, but will come out in next months patch for Shiloh.

Rich W.

When will this fix be applied to the other ACW games ?

Major General John Corbin
Commanding officer
XXV Corps "The Glory Seekers"
Army of The James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:40 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> When will this fix be applied to the other ACW games ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

My thoughts exactly.

General Thos. Callmeyer
4th Bgd.-1st Div.-XV Corps-AoT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:56 am 
I remember playing as the yank and overrunning Early in BGG 13h with a limbered arty unit. He was reconning east of Gettysburg in advance of his troops. I thought it was "fair" and my opponent did not protest.
However, I am inclined to support those who say that a limbered arty unit should not be deployed to complete an encirclement for melee.

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Div, III Corps, AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:45 am 
Site Admin

My opinion is why not. Units will not surrender in the game therefore you need to eliminate them, and if you want to prevent from routing away because you are shooting them down you need to surround them.
You cannot breakdown big regiments to do the job so you need to use other units to do the job. A sole leader or a wagon is not correct but an artillery unit should be. They are armed and dangerous. If only because the game engine does not allow you any other options. If someone lets himself be surrounded and there are artillery unit available then so be it.

Waiting 3 or 4 turns, over an hour of time, to shoot them down is not realistic in my opinion and justifies the artillery being used. You have routed units being shot to death recovering etc... The game too many inconsistencies to nickel and dime it to death with house rules.
IMHO

If you let a regiment get surrounded in that fashion then you probably deserve to lose it. Watch your flanks. Now that should be a house rule!

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde,3rd Div,I Corps,
Army of Georgia
CSA

President, ACWGC
Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:20 am 
If the two gun arty section were to get adjacent/behind and unlimber then I agree that he could contribute to the surround. But to have a limbered gun with 8 horses and a handful of enemy with pistols & sabers prevent 800 infantrymen from running away is absurd and no different than a supply wagon similarly armed and no more or less armed and dangerous as you say. If that is the case, then friendly limbered arty should be able to prevent routing units from running through them further to the rear and disrupting everything in their path.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Pierre D</i>
<br />My opinion is why not. Units will not surrender in the game therefore you need to eliminate them, and if you want to prevent from routing away because you are shooting them down you need to surround them.
You cannot breakdown big regiments to do the job so you need to use other units to do the job. A sole leader or a wagon is not correct but an artillery unit should be. They are armed and dangerous. If only because the game engine does not allow you any other options. If someone lets himself be surrounded and there are artillery unit available then so be it.

Waiting 3 or 4 turns, over an hour of time, to shoot them down is not realistic in my opinion and justifies the artillery being used. You have routed units being shot to death recovering etc... The game too many inconsistencies to nickel and dime it to death with house rules.
IMHO

If you let a regiment get surrounded in that fashion then you probably deserve to lose it. Watch your flanks. Now that should be a house rule!

Best Regards,

General Pierre D.
1st Bde,3rd Div,I Corps,
Army of Georgia
CSA

President, ACWGC
Cabinet Member

MajGen, 2/XIX/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:28 pm 

>Excellant Rich! You have given me the idea to ask John to do the same in the Napoleonic engine for limbered guns. We have the supply wagon, skirmisher and leader overrun rule in effect as you know.<

So a new rule will let the surrounded unit "push" out through leaders, wagons, or limbered artillery?

I agree that using limbered artillery to envelope an enemy is poor gamesmanship. However, there could be a circumstance where an enemy penetrated your line and artillery that was moving up uses it's zoc to complete the encirclement. I wouldn't like the former to happen to me, but everyone has their own limit of gameyness. I'd probably not play them again if this was the first time we played and they continued to do it after I notified them about my discontent. By the way, as long as the club supports the BG series we'll have to keep the rule in effect.

Major General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:04 pm 

Shiloh will be applied early next month. I want to gather enough to justify a patch.

As for the other games, that will be up to John and the other designers. Doug is due for a patch very soon, but I don't know his schedule. After all, it took over five years to complete. :-)

Rich