American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Exit Hexes
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:42 am 

Hey All.....

I don't understand the purpose of Exit Hexes at zero point value?

Thanks,
Russ

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:49 am 

They are places to exit units off the map. You move your units onto the hex then select, from the COMMAND menu " Remove units from map" and you will see the value in POINTS of the exitted units instead of a ZERO.

When you have EXIT hexes, it is acceptable and desired to remove units from the map.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:26 am 

Hi Ernie,

(After having briefly reviewed the manual) I still don't understand.
What is to be gained by leaving the exit hex? Are these units allowed to return? Does one get points for the units leaving the exit hex?

Thanks,
Russ

Fld.Lt.R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:09 am 

Hi Russ!

My understanding of these Exit hexes is as follows:

The scenarios involved reflect an Historical situation (usually) where one Army was attempting to leave an Area of Conflict to avoid destruction. In order to do this, They would have possibly only one escape Route. They were in no position to Attack the Enemy OR to capture Objectives.

The Scenario reflects this situation, in that - in order for the Retreating side to acheive a Victory . . . . they must attempt to get as many of their Units outta Town - via the Exit hexes. If a Unit of 100 Men reaches the Exit Hex and is then removed from the Map - they are deemed to have "escaped"/ withdrawn sucessfully. A VP points award is made to the Commanders Score and by removing more men He gets closer each time to his Objective - a Victory. Victory in this case is in Game terms . . . in fact, He has retreated . . . but sucessfully and therefore has won the Scenario.

Of course . . . His Opponent will win by preventing the removal of as many of the Enemy units as possible - combined with the casualities He can inflict.

No doubt Russ - if I have it wrong here - someone will put us <b>BOTH</b> right on the Matter. [:)] [B)] [:p]

Pat.

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:18 am 

BTW, to answer part of your question, exited untis DO NOT return!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:30 am 

I agree with the prior posts except that it is not necessarily a retreat when units exit the map...often times it is an advance beyond the enemy to some off-map objective. This is especially true in Gettysburg where the Confederates are threating Baltimore, Washington, etc.

Col. Rudy Zodda
4th "Wildcat Brigade"/Pickett's 2nd Division/ I Corps/ ANV
Regiment D'Artois/ Brigade Du Drucour/Troupes Royales

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:14 am 

So far I have only played two Campaign Gettysburg scenarios that included exit hexes, Winchester and one of the Rappahannock scenarios. In these you are awarded VP's for exiting units off your sides exit hexes. The amount of VP's earned is the same as the award for casualties of that type unit. This makes exiting artillery and cavalry quite attractive.

In Winchester it simulates the Union choice to save Milroy's command by retreating and the Rebel pursuite of Milroy off the map. In the Rappahannock scenario it represents the Rebel movement from west to east through Warrenton and the Union attempt to block the movement by advancing from the SE.

You do have to be careful of just how much you can gain VP wise from exiting expecially if the otherside also gains VP for exiting. In the case of Winchester if the Union exits all their troops then the Rebel does the same. Since they have more troops and also get all the map VP hexes they will automatically win a Major Victory without firing a shot. However, there may be an advantage to saving the 8th Corps since in campaigns they may show up again later and the sacrifice of one game may pay dividends later.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:33 am 
I have tried to help as many of your troops exit the field as I can, ran low on ammo, but have reloaded and am prepared to help a few more exit, regardless of the hex they occupy.

Col. David Groce
3/2/1 AoP