American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:52 am 

You're smart getting out of the way Don. We'll be thinking of you and all of your fellow Texans.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:36 am 
I may be stupid and stay.....lol.....I don't live on the coast of in a surge area though......have not quite decided what I akm gonna do.....Regards, Hank Smith

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:10 am 

Opportune time to plan a vacation I would think. I do suspect the government efforts will be better cordinated this time. U of T model of the worst case model, show that Galveston if hit by a high four or fire, would be flooded (but atleast it would subside quickly). Damage would of course extend deeply into Texas. While I certainly would have a desire/curiousity to see such a thing, and would have even more curiousity as to the living quarters afterward (the wait would be awful)--I think you are doing the smart thing Don--and I hope I would make a similar choice if in such a position. Take care and don't forget to pack the items that can't be replaced--just heard it is a cat 5.
MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:39 am 

Texas local governments are just better prepared than N.O. & the Govoner of LA was. I don't mean to insult, that's just the facts.

Had Katrina never existed, and Rita popped up with forecasts of hitting Galveston the local Texas governments would still have shown a stronger local leadership at this time. Which would enable the Federal response to be more effective.

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:45 am 
It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good. Up here at Fort Worth, by the time it reaches here, it's a rain storm. We're far behind on the rainfall this year and need it badly.
So get to a safe place and hunker down, Don. I remember that Austin floods easy and big along Barton Springs Road, and at 16th and Lamar with businesses submerged. A UT professors wife drowned trying to cross the greenbelt while I was there. (years ago)About 7 others drowned in various accidents, 4 in a family when the dad drove down a boat offloading ramp while blinded by wind and rain.

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Div, III Corps, AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:08 am 

Last edited by dradams2 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:55 pm 

Good luck, Don. (And all of the Texas Coast.)

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:29 pm 

<font color="beige"><b>Good Luck and God speed Don</b></font id="beige">

<font color="blue"><b>Brig.Gen. R.A.Weir</b></font id="blue">
<font color="yellow">-- CALVERT LINE --</font id="yellow">
<b>First--III--AoA CSA</b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:26 pm 

Good luck Don, and anybody else likely to be affected[:)]

General Antony Barlow
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:28 am 

Third strongest on record for the Atlantic basin I heard. Also this morning it might have slowed from 175 to 170---Texas/Louisiana would do better if it slows a whole lot more--almost for sure to be very destructive for many.
MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:55 am 
Well Folks,
I have definatly decided to ride this thing out at home......I am very optimistic......Looks like we'll likely be on the dry side of the storm (and besides the evacuation is so gridlocked I don't think we could get out if we wanted to do so).....we can last on our supplies for about a week without power (I think)......I believe the preparations we have made to be sound.....I think it should be a bit of an adventure, hopefully nothing more for us......If, by some off chance, I am making a decision that comes out extremely bad for me personally (as in I get killed....lol), then ya'll take care, and enjoy the hobby.....it has been a priviledge.........Regards to all, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:49 am 

BG Hank Smith,
I think traffic will likely clear, more so if they make lanes only going one way (but you are right about not wanting to be caught in your car). I suspect your weeks worth of supplies will be plenty (I suspect they have learned a thing or two from the last storm), but I hope you understand that 150 mph winds can make roofs into airplane wings (and make normal items into dangerous projectiles) and the storm surge can work quite a ways if conditions are right (also areas prone to flooding can be dangerous). It does sound like an adventure, but most people who one hears interviews from who weather storms, say never again (people often mention the howl of the wind and how long that lasts). Good luck no matter your choice, I remember watching tornados on the plains. Is there a chance we could know, (or you could e-mail me--curiousity is a terrible thing), roughly as to your location, so we can judge how you might fair. If not that I assume you will post, whenever the storm passes if possible.
MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:57 am 

Good news, Cat 4--150 mph sustained winds.....trend might continue.
MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:56 am 

"If, by some off chance, I am making a decision that comes out extremely bad for me personally (as in I get killed....lol)," - Hank Smith.

Hank!

Can we get about ten or twelve games registered today? I sure could use a dozen Major Victories, and I'd hate to think your sacrifice was in vain. [:p]

MajGen Al 'Ambushed' Amos
3rd "Amos' Ambushers" Bde, Cavalry Division, XX Corps, AoC
The Union Forever! Huzzah!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:54 am 

BG Hank Smith,
Traffic does look awful, I understand some are running out of gas in the lines---but I believe they now have ordered some of the interstates, to go all one-way--both sides. If you plan to stay I assume you have already prepared for the possibility of lossing power. Fill the tub with water, or for that matter other large water storage, making ice to maximize cooling say in a cooler (always found milk jugs filled with tap water to be good-frozen as when they melt, they one can drink them also) with planned meals, knowing where candles, matches, medicine, first aid kit, ect. Good luck sir--We all look forward to hearing about your story. Looks like it is moving farther to the east than expected.
MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M