American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:47 am 

It seems to be gaining ground lately in the club (especially on the Reb side). Any suggestions where it may come from? Sure, the "s" is silent, but so is the "p".

I have been wondering if it may be because "Corps" looks somewhat like "corpse"? Is that why?

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:25 am 

Hi Gen. Walter!

P'raps it is a confusion over the Plural?

As in - "Lee sent his three Corps into Battle." Therefore - if he only had one Military Unit of that size and configuration, he would have sent one "Corp" into the Battle? [;)]

On the converse . . . p'raps the confusion is in - "Lee sent his one Corps into Battle." And so . . . following the Logic . . . . if he had three Military Units of that size and configuration, he would have sent Three "Corpses" into Battle! [xx(]

A slightly different meaning and not quite as effective an Attack force - methinks? [:o)] [:D]

Pat. [8D]

Colonel Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Commanding
II Corps,
Army of Georgia.
"Spartan Southrons"
C.S.A.

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:38 pm 
"not quite as effective an Attack force"

I dunno, I think even the Black Hats would have been unnerved if they were attacked by corpses, even if only 3 of them - although given Civil War conditions it would have been hard to tell them from your run of the mill Reb who's been in the field for a year...

Lt Gen Mike Kaulbars Image
3rd "Freiheit" Division
VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:43 pm 

"Corps" is both a singular and a plural. It derives from the Latin "corpus, -oris" which means body. As you correctly point out, it is properly used with the "s" present. Otherwise it may mean a corporation. It not only looks like "corpse" but both words derive from the same Latin root.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:28 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by eireb</i>
P'raps it is a confusion over the Plural?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Good thinking, Colonel. Makes sense.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:29 pm 

Guitly as Charged.....

Lt.Col. R.E.Daley
1st Corp of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:03 pm 

Checked it out in the old cylopedia/dictionary I got when a library was clearing it out. I enjoy using it, so use it whenever the chance arrives. Here is what I found under the 2nd meaning (with the exception of the (KOR) had a line over the "O", not sure how to do that on my keyboard (as well as a few other foriegn spellings). Who knows how accurate it is, but I like to use it. Anyway I found it interesting here it is.

<b>corps</b> . (kor), n. [When first introduced (late in 17th century0, sometimes spelled, after E. Anoalogies, <i>cor</i>, core<i></i> (see core3); < F. corps (pron. kor), <OF. Corps, the body, >ME. corps, mod. corpse: see corps1, corpse.
1. A body,; a visible object;: only in the legal phrase corps certain (which see below).
2. A body or number of persons conventionally or formally associated or acting together: as, the diplomatic corps. See Corps Legislatif, below, and <i>esprit de corps</i>, under <i>esprit</i>esprit.
3. Milit.: (a) A part of the army expressly organized according to the Articles of War, and having a head and members, as a regiment or an independent company, or any other military body having such organization: as, the Marine <i>Corps</i>; the <i>Corps</i> of Topographical Engineers; hospital <i>corps</i>, etc. (b) More specifically, the tactical unit of a large army next above a division It is usually composed of several divisons of infantry and cavalry, contingents of artillery and other branches of service, and is to a large degree complete in itself. France has 20 corps d'armee, 18 in the country and 2 in Algeria and Tunis, and Germany has an even larger number. The number of men varies from about 18,00 to about 40,000. see army-corps.
4. In the German universities, a students' society
"a <i>corps</i> has no existence outside of its own university; it has no affiliations, no "chapters." (J.M. Hart, Geman Uiversities, iv.

Ok wordy but interesting, well at least to me. Here other interesting additions to the word included:

<b>Corps certain</b> [F], in <i>French</i>, a specific object, in contradistintion to one which is not identified and distinguishable from others of the same nature, and which cannot be replaced, as the subject of an agreement, by any other object: thus a, a specified horse or ship, ect.m, is a <i>corps certain</i>, but so many tones of hay or grain are not.

<b>Corps de bataille</b> [F], the main body of an army drawn up between the wings for battle.

<b>Corps de garde</b> [F], a post occupied by a body of men on guard; also, the body which occupies it.

<b>Corps de reserve</b> [F], a body of troops kept out of action, and held in readiness to be brought forward if their aid should be required

<b>Corps diplomaticque</b>.......

<b>Corps legilatif</b> [F], in <i>French hist</i>., the representiave assembly during the first empire and the years immediately preceding. The term was agaain used during the second empire, replacing the Chamber of Deputies.

<b>Corps of cadets</b>.... West Point...

<b>Corps of engineers....</b>

And quite a few more. I think I need a game file or else I think it is time for bed.

MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M