American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:05 pm 

42. First real wargame was AH Richtofen's War back in the mid-seventies. I've still got over 20 AH and SPI games stored in the basement. Computers made solitaire play much more interesting!

Major General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:34 am 
I am 47, although my kids still think that I am 29. They keep asking thier mother why I look so much older than her.
I got into wargaming back in the 80's with the Commodore 64 and SSI games. Never really got into board games. Found the club on the net about 2 years ago, bought 3 of the BG games but couldn't get them to work on my system. They collected dust (my wife wasn't happy) until I got another system. I couldn't get back fast enough. Now I'm fresh outta training and have 5 games going (I think she liked the dust thing better). These guys are pretty good, has anyone ever gotten the Purple Heart from thier first five games?

Lt. Brewster
4th Ohio Rifles
2nd Division
V Corps
AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:51 am 

I am 53....Not too old but yet not too young.......I just figured that I have lived 1/2 of my life span.........Minus a couple of years........

Maj. Gen. John Dragan
2/II AoA
The "Bamma Slamma"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:23 am 

I'm 26, and I'll be 27 in November. I've been reading books and magazines on the Civil War since about the age of 7. I didn't really get into gaming until about the age of 13 or so, right around the time Age of Rifles came out.

-Brett Schulte
HPS Playtester

ACW Campaign Games Design Center:
http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/index.html

My Civil War Book Collection:
http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks/

ACW Gaming & Reading Blog:
http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBlog/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:24 am 
39 years old but still feel like i am 18

Lt Col Karcher ,Csa
Commander
3rd Virginia Calvary
II Corps Army of Northern Virginia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:51 am 

43 here...
Was into AH board games back in the early 70s..stumbled (and I was not drunk) upon some HPS game clubs and the rest is history.

Fld Lt. A. Nardi
3rd Brigade'Dirty Dawgs'
3rd Division
3rd Corps
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:28 am 

Gentlemen,

Just turned 47 last month. My Dad was career USAF so I grew up in a military household, but the closest I ever got to actual military experience was 'Capture the Flag' in my Boy Scout troop [:)]. (I did make it to Eagle Scout, though!) I don't really know why I was spared a military tour myself, things just didn't work out.

My first exposure to real military board wargames was AH Midway, back in college. After graduation, I lost touch with the two or three guys who were interested in playing. I went solitaire for several years with AH Battle of the Bulge, then Gettysburg. Finally ran across one of those 'intelligent dweebs' in my church's youth group who played AH Stalingrad and couldn't get anyone to play with him. I was ecstatic! I invited him over for the day (I was married then, and my wife had no idea what she was in for when she approved this silly idea!). Unfortunately, he was years ahead of me in this genre and his interests shifted from one game to the next every time we got together -- just about the time I'd learn a system, he'd want to play a different game [:(]. When he graduated and moved away (joined the Army Rangers, because they would let him play with real guns!), I was back on my own.

One day I found a little shop that specialized in wargames, books on military history, and military models. Browsing over a bulletin board (the old-fashioned kind, with thumb tacks and little bits of notebook paper), I found a note from a guy looking for opponents interested in the American Civil War, long a favorite era of history for me. (My dad always wondered why my sister and I were both son interested in the ACW. I pointed out to him that most of his military assignments were below the Mason-Dixon Line: We lived in Petersburg, Virginia for five years and attended Robert E. Lee Elementary School, and spent several years on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.) That opponent introduced me to the Great Battle of the American Civil War series (SPI?). I loved the games and the strategy and tactics involved, but found all the movement rules tedious. I kept thinking, "Why doesn't someone computerize this?" (I still remember John Tiller when I say my prayers at night!)

As for how to interest younger players, this always has been a niche market. There weren't that many who were interested in it back when most of us got started. I think those who enjoy playing chess over Nintendo, plus have an interest in the American Civil War (or some other historical era), would be the best prospects.

By the way, General Weir, great thread!

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:14 pm 

Is anyone tracking this post calculating the mean age of responders?

Lt. Col. Brad Slepetz
III Corps
AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:38 pm 
Well guess I should add to the thread - Age 44 - as with several others started gaiming in the '70's - AH games mostly - got stuck in the Squad leader and ASL games for over a decade - still have most of the modules and addons but they are tucked away in a box somewhere. Bascially played solitaire - as ftf opponents were hard to find and it did not help that I travelled all ove the place - hard to keep a gaming cadre going when constantly on the move. since I did not own a computer - ASL became tiresome trying to track everything.

Always loved history of any sort - BG games caught my attention with Nappy first as a PBS channel was airing Sharpes Rifles - somehow tried a demo of Waterloo and have been hooked since. Shifted to ACW - as its closer to home and maybe someday an opportunity to visit the battlefields.

Found this club several years ago but didnt join until last Xmas - and the rest is history - and the comraderie is great - a real community - for those of us in small towns or who travel alot - this is a great appeal of this club.

Colonel N.Edwards
2/3/XX/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:49 pm 

[:D] 36

Nik Butler
Maj, 4/2/XXV, AOJ, Union Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:03 am 

Last edited by dradams2 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:25 am 
I'm 27 so I'm on the young end ....

Lt. Col. Lynn, was that Apple IIe game possibly Blue Powder/Gray Smoke? If so, I had the same one and absolutely wore it out as well. Scenarios on Antietam, Gettysburg, and Chickamauga if I recall ...

I started out in my teens with solitaire play on boardgames like AH Bull Run, VG Lee vs. Grant, etc. The CW has always fascinated me, even back to a young age, so trying out a game was a natural extension of constantly reading books about the war, and setting up plastic CW soldiers in the sandbox or the basement.

BG Gettysburg came out about the time I started college and I found it to be a spectacular way to procrastinate. Bought up all the TS Civil War titles as soon as they came out and as soon as I could afford them.

Never found anybody else who knew about these games until I joined the club last spring. I'm sure it is a niche market, but there will always be a niche because people will always be interested in this part of our history.

Maj. Tim Isgro
6th/1st/III/AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:58 am 
Let´s push down the average

36 years (almost)

Fld.Lt. Andreas Naujoks
III Corps/2/6
Army of Northern Virginia
Confederate States

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:21 pm 

63 today. Born 10/4/1942

LtCol George Denney
1st Brigade, 3rd Division
VIII Corps, Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:21 pm 

I am 42 and like many others started my gaming with AH Gettysburg. I was always interested in History and I think Ken Burns "Civil War" and the movie "Gettysburg" rekindled my interest in the Civil War. I moved east here in the states away God's Country Texas and found when I began visiting the battlefields that there was a lot I did not know about the War. This club has been a lot of fun and educational too, it is always interesting to see how many of us seem to be reading the same books!

Dave

BGen Dave McGown
Army of Alabama
I Corps - 3rd Cavalry Division
2nd Brigade McGown's Texas Mounted Rifles
VMI Instructor

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next