American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:58 pm 

I'm 42.

A good way to interest younger players is too play some games with them. Share your passion with them with Civil War books, movies and games.

My nephew, 14 yo, asked me the five CDs of the Battleground series for Xmas. [:)] He wants to join the club eventually but his english is not very good. Don't be surprised to see another Lajoie one of these days, but on the Northern side... [V]

Lt. Col. Harold Lajoie 3/2/I/AoM, CSA.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:16 pm 

63. Well, I don't think it is an age thing, but an inclination. You have to have some basis in the historical aspect of the games. It doesn't matter if they are interested in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Civil War or any of the 16th, 17th, 18th century eras, but it does start with an interest in one or more periods. Some are only interested in one period, others in more than one. I have to use my son as an example. We started playing Tactics II, Gettysburg, various WWII titles of board games when he was about 10 years old. We played board games until he was about 21 or so, which was in the mid 1980's. However, it was not a real interest in the HISTORY of the battles, but an interest in the games, the conflict and the planning.

We played a few games of TACOPS in the early 1990's, but then wife, kids, job, etc got in the way, so we didn't play.

I have tried to get him interested, lately, but he just isn't into the HPS type systems. However, he is into the games like Medal of Honor and that type. Much less historical, but much faster paced and more of an instant proof of how you are playing. So the RTS seems to get the younger crowd. The RTS games are less about history and more into the action. The turn based games are almost the opposite.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:41 pm 

I am 42 and holding [:D][}:)][;)]

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:26 pm 
35. [:D]

<i><b><font face="Georgia">Colonel 2nd Infantry Brigade </font id="Georgia"></b></i>
<i><b><font face="Verdana">"English Guard"</font id="Verdana"></b></i>

<font face="Georgia"><b>2nd Division, II Corps
AoA</b></font id="Georgia">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:27 pm 

I am 29 with 15 years experiance ( that makes me 44 )

Major General John Corbin
Commanding officer
XXV Corps "The Glory Seekers"
Army of The James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:32 pm 

37... [}:)]

My 6 year old son has finally "discovered" his father's wargames, and is quite fascinated by them. At least when I play in 3D. But I guess one need to have some understanding of military history and military doctrine to fully enjoy these games. So until he gets older (and has gotten that background), I don't think my son will be playing these games. The FIFA and NHL games for PS2 are much more fun for the time being... (especially when he can beat his old dad in them all the time [:(])

MajGen Atle Jenssen
CO 2nd Division
XXth Corps
Army of the Cumberland
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:11 am 

I am 35.

Computer wargaming was one of the great discoveries of my life, and PBEM made the same games interesting for years and years and years ...

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:28 am 

I'll be 643 months tomorrow. Send the presents.

Gen. Doug Burke
XX/AoC/USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:42 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tony malone</i>
<br />I am 42 and holding [:D][}:)][;)]

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I wonder what???[:o)][}:)][:0]

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:54 am 

I'm 57 but getting ready to move up in the ranks in a month.

With the state of the art in our current games, I suppect it take quite a love of history to play the games. The question is if someone released a "Civil War" era game with the graphics of say "Total War" series, would they come?

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:35 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by slepsta</i>
<br />Just turned 23 today! Looks like I am the youngest buck to respond thus far, but I am certain there are younger, more able officers in the club.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I am 19 so I will have to take that title from you until someone else younger replies, Sir [:)]. If I would be more able, nah I don't think so, just started playing the HPS ACW titles, but I am also a member in the CCC, MBC and NWC, so I do have experience.

I started out in the CCC when I was 17 years old, and now I am the Commander-in-Chief for the Colonial Forces [:)][:I].

Yours Respectfully
Major Kling
2nd Brigade
2nd Division, VI Corps
AOS, Union Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:37 am 

I am 12,285 to the square root of 87.4 - 44,1287 x (26+44) - (248+1,223)

and for the life of me do not ask me to solve that. We'll let Don Adams or Ernie solve it. [:P]

I think it is both matter of choice and graphics. I know a hell of a lot of people into the ACW, but we need better graphics too, to at least perk their intersts.

The Lordz Modding Group for Total War is coming out with an ACW Mods and Battlefront is coming out with a turn-based Nappy Game sometime.

If we can achieve Rome Total Graphics on a turnbased-PBEM system. That would be unbelieveable.

<center><b>Brigadier General Scott Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Army of Northern Virginia (On Furlough)

https://give.redcross.org/?rcohome800helpnow

Or

http://www.networkforgood.org/topics/an ... urricanes/

Please if you can.

I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1st Inaugural Address
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 2:53 am 

I'm 55, been wargaming over 35 years now, had a history teacher in high school who got me interested in the Civil War. Had played Risk and another friend introduced me to Parker Bro's Civil War game, the one with the plastic counters, similar to House Divided game. Basically a dice roll game although it took strategy to win. Then I got into the AH and SPI games and they sparked an increased interest in military history, especially ACW although I do play other eras from time to time.

As to the graying of our hobby, I too think it's a generational thing. Tried to get my kids interested, they both had an interest in what dad played, took them to my minatures group when they were in their teens and tried to get them into boardgames but they didn't want to be bothered learning rules or using tables. Both of them have gotten into the first person magic and super hero games although my daughter does have some of my love of history she isn't into the military part of it much. As far as PC games go my son plays some of the WWII and modern battle 3D real time games but neither of them has the interest in the turn based games.

Lt.Gen.Ken Miller
Veteran's Divsion
VIII / AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:57 am 

I am 55. I was first interested in toy soldiers at an early age, but became interested in the ACW in 5th grade when as kids we actually played Civil War in the playground. Apparently there were some Civil War programs on TV in the early sixties when they were celebrating the centennial that caught kids' interest. Never looked back.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:49 am 

58 and I've not noticed a problem with younger players signing up as I've seen plenty of those young 40 somethings playing the games.

Ernie, I'm surprised that you play. I served a tour in 'Nam and have zero interest in playing a game of it. Since you're old enough to have served in 'Nam, Korea, WWII, WWI, ACW, Napoleonic Wars, and all of the others back to the initial fall of Babylon, I'm shocked that you can relive them.

Brig Gen Ned Simms
2/VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next