American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:22 am 
Brotheres in arms -

Join me in raising a call for a modification of the often times absurd "Cannot move routed units closer to enemy" rule. I understand and even support the intent behind it, but there are pleny of times when it is just rediculous in its application.

A routed unti in the open, next to a road that is also in the open in the hex direclty south of them, who are trying to retreat, should be allowed to get onto the Q&(^%(*# road! Even if there is an enemy unit more than 10 hexes away to their southwest. Not even directly in the path, and blocked by friendly units. Times like those make me want to pull my hair out. It is just plain rediculous that a routed unit that has friendly units in front of it is still affected by the enemy unit rule, especially if those enemy units aren't even directly in their line of march!

How far out to each flank does this absurd rule extend? If it is more than a hex to either side, it is too far. And there should also probably be a distance limit taken into consideration - such as that if the enemy unit is more than 5 hexes away, then it doesn't apply, etc. Something should be done. Having the computer tell my fleeing units that they can't take the easy way onto that nice paved road leading to safety, but instead must sidestep ONE HEX to the right and THEN get onto the road is absurd. (Have I mention that I feel this is just plain absurd?!?) If getting on the road one hex to the right is good after having to go up a hill, into woods, and then back down the hill and onto the road to the south is fine, then why the !@#%!@$# can't they just get on the #@$~@# road from the first hex to begin with and get four hexes futher away from the enemy using the road!!!!! [?] [:(!]

And one more thing: Why can't the Jaguars offensive line block anyone!?!?!? [B)][xx(]

<End of Rant>

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor
"The only true news is history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:48 am 
As a yankee and familiar with troops whose main method of defending the Union seems to be to run home, I would welcome a change in this rule.

Col. David Groce
3/2/1 AoP
"Taking the high ground"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:48 am 

I've found in the HPS games that when I have a routed unit stuck in a hex, that if I move another unit adjacent, then they are allowed to move into that hex and on their merry way. I haven't paid enough attention to notice if it only works when the adjacent unit is outside an enemy zone of control or if every member of the routed unit has to drop their pants and moon the opposition at the same time or exactly what the key is.

As for the Jaguars offensive line - their tutus are too tight and for gosh sake, tell them to quit wearing the see through kind.

Brig Gen Ned Simms
2/VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:18 am 

Of course another solution is not to have your units rout.

I'm sorry, this might have been a serious complaint[:)]

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:20 pm 

To me, it is ridiculous that a routed unit moves at half the rate of an unrouted unit. You would think they would be running to get away. Also have a problem with units being reduced to one quarter melee strength because a few squads snuck up behind them and isolated them with ZOC, but that is a different matter.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:36 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mihalik</i>
<br />To me, it is ridiculous that a routed unit moves at half the rate of an unrouted unit. You would think they would be running to get away. Also have a problem with units being reduced to one quarter melee strength because a few squads snuck up behind them and isolated them with ZOC, but that is a different matter.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I would agree with that as well. How can a unit marching at regular speed overtake a mob of soldiers running for their life - at half speed?

Another thing that is stupid - that a defending unit in perfectly good order can go from good order to routed as the result of the offensive fire phase - completely skipping being disordered - but that an attacker can only become disordered as the result of a defensive fire phase, with no danger of being routed. If it is good for the goose, it should be good for the gander. Both sides should face a moral check to become disordered as the result of EITHER fire phase, and then perhaps face another moral check to become routed IF they failed the first check and became disordered. There is no reason the defenders (who general held the advantage historically) should be penalized for being on the defensive by being arbitrarily routed when the same fire result on the attacker would only result in their being disordered.

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor
"The only true news is history."