American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:10 am 
Guys,

Here's a link for shots of the miniature's event in Carlisle, PA the weekend of the 1st of October where the Battle of Antietam (Sharpsburg for y’all in the occupied territories) was fought in miniature. There are good shots (and a few not quite as good) of the setup and the celebrities there, including artist Keith Rocco, Civil War author John Michael Priest, miniatures giant (sorry about that) Fred Hubig and of course HPS, ACWGC and gaming legend Rich Hamilton. Keith Rocco and John Priest are the men conversing in four of the pictures. Rich is the one working hard at the HPS table.

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/xz7UZ9dN

Lt. Roland Morris
5th Brigade
1st Division
16th Corp
Army of the Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:00 am 

Great pictures Roland. Thanks for sharing that[:)]

General Antony Barlow
Army of the Cumberland

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:22 am 

Thanks.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
LtGen, CO XXIII Corps, AoO
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:30 pm 
Great pictures !![:)]
It brings back the old days, I miss my minatures.[:(]

<center><i><b><font face="Georgia">Colonel 2nd Infantry Brigade </font id="Georgia"></b></i>
<i><b><font face="Verdana">"English Guard"</font id="Verdana"></b></i>
<font face="Georgia"><b>2nd Division, II Corps
AoA</b></font id="Georgia"></center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:16 am 
Sorry Glyn, I didn't mean to cause you a sad moment. The event was quite enjoyable with a lot of very interesting and nice people attending. I would get involved in that hobby myself if I had the room. Unfortunately with a house full of kids and cats, there's no way. Boards games aren't safe let alone a large table of miniatures...
[:(!]

Lt. Roland Morris
5th Brigade
1st Division
16th Corp
Army of the Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:32 am 
Don't worry Roland, it was just bringing back the old days when I had more time, more space and more friends with like minds. Maybe again in another 20 years. Thank god for computers, Pbem and online buds.[:)]

BTW. do you know if those figures were Old Glory or Bicorne miniatures ??

<center><i><b><font face="Georgia">Colonel 2nd Infantry Brigade </font id="Georgia"></b></i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:54 pm 

I think the figures were Old Glory -- not sure. The rules were computer assisted Carnage and Glory. Which means they were playing with miniatures but all the results and record keeping were done in a PC. Sound familiar?

Now a few years ago I saw some ideas for a 3D Holographic Display -- you might recall the chess game in Star Wars! Well when that finally arrives, the line between a computer assisted miniatures game and a HPS Multiplayer game with a holograhic tabletop display is going to get blurred.

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:09 am 
Unfortunately I don't know enough about miniatures to answer what type of figures they were. I enjoy spectating but until I can marry off one of my daughters and confiscate her room I just don't have the space to even think about doing something like that. I do know that the figures were 28mm and Rich Hamilton told me that a good portion of the setup belonged to Fred Hubig. The rules were definitely Carnage and Glory. And you're right Bob, the line has started to blur. But how would you paint a holograph? [:)]

Lt. Roland Morris
5th Brigade
1st Division
16th Corp
Army of the Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:10 am 
Unfortunately I don't know enough about miniatures to answer what type of figures they were. I enjoy spectating but until I can marry off one of my daughters and confiscate her room I just don't have the space to even think about doing something like that. I do know that the figures were 28mm and Rich Hamilton told me that a good portion of the setup belonged to Fred Hubig. The rules were definitely Carnage and Glory. And you're right Bob, the line has started to blur. But how would you paint a holograph? [:)]

Lt. Roland Morris
5th Brigade
1st Division
16th Corp
Army of the Tennessee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:42 am 
I was thinking they were Old Glory but if they are 28mm maybe they were Redoubt Miniatures: http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/

If anyone is interested they do a fantastic range of ACW figures..

Never got around to using PC rule systems, they would have made the wargames much easier. But thanks for the info.[:)]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:08 am 

Actually I find the computer assisted miniature rules a bit of a bother. They are great at doing all the record keeping and those running it were pretty efficient. But in a game of 10-12 people the record keeper becomes the pacing item in terms of time to do a turn. I also think that dice rolling is part of the attraction of miniatures, where you can recover from a bad tactic with a hot dice roll, or you can really exploit a good tactic with a great dice roll. I fondly recall routing/disrupting an entire Army wing with a single artillery shot that found its target and some disastrous dice rolling by my opponet.

As for painting holograms, it probably requires some computer skill rather then artistic skill, which means I have a better chance.

In any case it is all fun.

Lt Gen Bob Breen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:59 am 

Havent down loaded the pictures but how did the fight go? Did the good guys win?[:D]

Field Lt. Tony Best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:57 am 

No the good guys did not win. From the after action report:

On the day of battle it was a pyrrhic victory for the Army of Northern Virginia.
On the morning after the battle it was clearly a major victory for the Army of Northern Virginia.

Total losses for the battle were 22,157 men, including 4,339 missing in action.
Actual losses for the battle were 22,720 men, including 1,770 missing in action - so we were pretty close on this one!

The CSA lost eight generals and 1 standard, and
The USA lost six generals and 15 standards.

CSA honors went to the 1st Virginia Cavalry regiment, of Fitz Lee's cavalry brigade [Cornfield], and
USA honors went to the 9th New Hampshire, of James Nagle's Bde, Sturgis' Division [Burnside's Bridge]

Lt Gen Bob Breen