American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:27 pm 
That's great info...

I should have checked this out before agreeing to play - wait for it - FIVE OUT OF THE SIX battles I have going against people on this list! (Including maneuvers) I'm a freakin' genius! [:D]

No wonder I keep losing... [B)] [;)]

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor
"The only true news is history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:39 pm 

Bless you, sir. I really had gotten tired of doing them a long time ago because the only way to do them under the previous record system was to manually scan the USA and CSA rosters to prepare a spreadsheet (what was on the previous record system wasn't downloadable). I passed them to others after doing them for several years but then got the USA Top Gun list back about the time of the demise of the records system. Alas, there was no way to do them.

With the advent of your record system, I was able to update the USA Top Guns but I noticed that the CSA Top Guns was not being updated. I wasn't able to do it either because for some reason the CSA Summary would time out before I could download it. Even though the USA Top Guns were a lot easier to do under your system because they could be downloaded into a spreadsheet and sorted, I still was tired of doing them and had resolved not to continue with monthly updates but to do them bimonthly or quarterly. Accordingly, I am tickled to death that you have automated them. Besides it being easier for your site to do, I like seeing them both at the same time as well.

I will attempt to point out something that this relates to even though I can't do it without looking like a heel. No one asked me to do the Top Guns all of those years. They existed when I originally joined the club but had been vacated by whoever was doing them. Because I assumed the function on my own, the correct outlook on my part should always be that I shouldn't expect any OBD points, medals, or even a kind word (pat on the back) now and then for the effort. Well it's a good thing that I shouldn't expect it because in all of those years, nary an OBD point was offered, medal/ribbon awarded, nor a kind word rendered for the effort (nor quite a few other efforts done simultaneously). The club should reconsider that because there have been a lot of people expending a lot of effort to make this club a better place (efforts that make the Top Guns effort look like child's play) and they have not been/are not recognized for it (as a matter of fact, they are often the ones chastised by club members). That's a shame and we should learn from past mistakes so that we don't commit them again in the future.

Sorry to get on my high horse, Don and the complaints that I voiced have to do with the past and not you nor you automating the Top Guns (thank goodness for that). I greatly applaud your record system and what you have done.

Brig Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:01 pm 

Nice Report.

I would like to support General Simms comments about recognition. I think one of the Cabinet Offiers ought to have the responsibility to create a list of people who are doing extra things to make the club function and every few months the cabinet ought to review the list and give out a pile of points and medals.

I would also suggest if it is not a lot of work to expand the Top Guns list to include the entire Club. I would think some of the newer members would enjoy viewing there progress up the list.

I'll bet there are a few businesses that don't have this effective personnel tracking system.

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:03 pm 

Here's a retroactive well done to Ned Simms for updating the Top Guns list for so long.

Lt. Col. Brad Slepetz
III Corps
AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:31 pm 

Ned,

I thought it was you that was doing it! I couldn't remember for sure. I know I anxiously awaited your report each month and watched as I slowly crept up the list, passing all of the inactive people. I don't think I will move much higher now unless all those in front of me retire or something. [8D]

I, too, would like to add my personal thanks for all the time you put into it because I know what it is like to do stuff by hand for so long. I also agree that there are many around that do things that don't get recognition enough and I certainly don't take exception to anything you have said. I am glad I finally remembered to add it to the site.

There are many things in the records site that are certainly not my idea alone. There have been many recommendations and improvements made as a result of those recommendations. It should continue to grow and get better as time passes. I am into one of those stretches where my time is limited to do all of the things I would like to do to it.

There seems to be a problem right now with the promotion checker page as the confirmation emails are not being sent out correctly. I am working on that now. The timeout thing really bothers me as it happens with several of the reports. Hopefully that will all be worked out eventually. The queries are really detailed on some of the reports and literrally have to check thousands and thousands of fields in a very limioted time.

Keep the suggestions coming folks.

Again, thanks Ned for having the idea originally and developing the format for the report.

Gen. Don Adams
5th Texas "Lone Star" Cavalry Brigade
I/III ANV
Cabinet Member
http://www.rootsandsaddles.com/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:56 am 
I see I am 10th on the USA Top Guns list. Apparantly one may infiltrate the ranks of the honored and glorified by loosing a large enough number of battles over a long enough period of time.

General Thos. Callmeyer
4th Bgd. 1st Div. XV Corps AoT USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:18 am 

General Simms,

One problem (challenge? opportunity?) is that so much effort is done behind the scenes by so many, and has been done that way for so long, finding out who does what can be difficult. I think your Link Express site is wonderful and I use it all the time. Of course, most of us know about General Adam's Department of Records site since it is so recent and he continually requests input on how to make it better. (Hopefully it will be years, if ever, before THAT gets taken for granted.) I'm sure, however, there are many other helpful sites out there I don't even know about.

Every CSA officer should be reporting to his superior at least once a month, and I expect the USA side has the same requirement. I suggest when every one reports in they not only report on what battles & maneuvers they have going but on what other duties they have done on behalf of the club that month. Most of these other tasks will be in the form of web site maintenance of some sort, and some of these take a lot more effort than others. Some go for months with no updates while others are updated weekly or even more often.

As CSA CoA, I have to rely on those lower in the hierarchy (mid-level officers) to recommend their subordinates for extra OBD points for efforts 'above and beyond the call of duty'. Some newer commanders, however, may not even be aware of the extra duties their subordinates are performing.

Gentlemen, I know most of us are averse to 'tooting our own horn', but it really is in the best interests of the club to at least let your commander know what you're doing. If any of us falls in battle, the organization should know what we've been doing that someone else would then need to pick up.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:35 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bobbreen</i>
<br />Nice Report.

I would also suggest if it is not a lot of work to expand the Top Guns list to include the entire Club. I would think some of the newer members would enjoy viewing there progress up the list.

I'll bet there are a few businesses that don't have this effective personnel tracking system.

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Perhaps the number could be on an individual officer's OBD page if they are not in the top 100 or so, thus preventing the Top Guns report from getting too large and timing out - it can just show the top XXX number of officers, and each persons overall rank could be shown on their OBD page? Not sure how the system is setup or if that would work either, but why not throw it out there...

Regards,
Lt. Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor
"The only true news is history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:26 am 

Thanks to Don, Ned, and all those others who have, and continue, to work tirelessly for our club[:)]

General Antony Barlow
Army of the Cumberland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:17 pm 
Thanks for doing that Don. I acutally tried to update it but when I tried to access the CSA OBD from the site it kept giving me an error. Now I will just copy yours once a month and add it to the CoA site. Thanks again.

Chris

Lt. Gen. Chris Cross
Western Theater Commander
CSA