American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Value of Breastworks?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:56 pm 

Gentlemen,

For some reason, I have the impression that breastworks are only an aid to defense against melee attacks. Is this correct, or do they also affect ranged fire?

(See, just because I have the 'corner office' doesn't mean I know everything [:D] !)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:04 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dmallory</i>
<br />Gentlemen,

(See, just because I have the 'corner office' doesn't mean I know everything [:D] !)

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Sergeant, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Clearly! [;)]

As I understand it, breastsworks does indeed deter ranged fire. It is a -1 modifier in the old BG games, if I remember correctly. I assume this translates into a -10% in the HPS games, but I am not sure.

Lt. Col. Brad Slepetz
AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:40 am 
Apparently Pamela Anderson spent something like $40 thousand. Well personally I always thought she'd taken it a little too far but... I'm sorry? What's that? Breastworks? Never mind. [:I]

Gen. Den McBride
ANV, C.S.A.
ACWGC Cabinet Member

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:36 am 

Good question.

Another question. I've noticed many of my opponents building breastworks on top of permanent fortifications/embankments. And not one to be left behind I've blindly followed suit.[:D]

1. Does anyone know if the breastwork modifier (Peninsula -30%) is added to the embankment modifier (Peninsula -50%) for a modifier of -80% or are my troops getting tired and sweaty for nothing?
2. Is the breastworks modifier added to the existing terrain combat modifier or is there a maximum terrain combat modifier per hex?
3. Also, what if there are two terrain combat modifiers for a hex (i.e. embankment -50% and forest -40%) what then, -40%, -50%, or -90%?

Den, what type of combat modifier does Pamela Anderson get with her breastworks?[;)]

Col. Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:33 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Boyd</i>
<br />
Den, what type of combat modifier does Pamela Anderson get with her breastworks?[;)]

Col. Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Don't you know, Col. Denner? It depends on whether you are attacking her headquarters or her hindquarters. [:D] [:0]

Regards,
Col. Alan Lynn
3rd Battery "Jacksonville Greys"
4th Div, II Corps, AoA
God bless <><
Signal Corps, Assistant Editor

"The only accurate news is well researched history."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:49 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Boyd</i>
1. Does anyone know if the breastwork modifier (Peninsula -30%) is added to the embankment modifier (Peninsula -50%) for a modifier of -80% or are my troops getting tired and sweaty for nothing?

Easiest way to find out is to fire at troops in such a hex and see what the result window says. That way I discovered some nice, undocumented things about melee modifiers in the HPS Nappy games.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:05 am 

Cool flag Dierk.[8D]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Where We Lead the Army Follows"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:32 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zinkyusa</i>
<br />Cool flag Dierk.[8D]

Thx--Mike K. did it. [8D]

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:21 am 

Hi,

Did a little playing around and found in Gettysburg that building a breastwork on top of a stone wall adds the breastwork benefit to the stone wall benefit. At Devil's Den, Confederate A-rated troops fired from two levels down (-40) at a Union unit in rough terrain (-30) behind a stone wall (-40). Sure enough, the readout was -110%. After a breastwork (-30)was built, the readout was -140%. The same doesn't hold true for melee, by the way. The breastwork didn't seem to add anything to melee defense, and terrain hex modifiers didn't seem to apply. Moreover, hexside modifiers did not seem to be the same for melee as they are for fire, but I found no documentation on this. Maybe I missed something. More experimentation is in order.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA