American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:47 pm 

If the install continues to fail, try this:

Copy the game directory from the CD to Program Files. For example, the game directory is BGR on the BG Bull Run CD. If you want to group them, create a Talonsoft directory under Program Files and copy all the game directories there. At this point, create a shortcut to bg_start.exe and copy it to a start menu folder. You should be able to run the game normally just by clicking on the shortcut. Next, copy the patch from the ACWGC files into the proper game directory on your hard drive, and execute it. You are now patched to the latest version. Finally, copy the 32-bit files into the game directory (let it overwrite the original exe) and you're done. I tested this with BGBR on my Dell laptop with XP Home and it worked perfectly, including playing background music, video clips, and sound effects. The menu bitmap on the lower right of the map sceen doesn't show, but it doesn't show on any of normal installs on my main computer either.

What this boils down to is that the install is unnecessary. It's back to the good old DOS days of copy directory, patch, and create a shortcut file (or as in DOS, a batch file). Chickamauga probably won't work this way since it was 32-bit from the start. You'll likely have to install it to work properly. Hope this works for you! [8D]

Major General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:14 pm 

Hello Dirk: NO it's a failure too. And I'm nearly at my wits end with this cursed thing.

Does anybody know the repercussions of re-installing Windows XP? NOT a system Restore but REINSTALLING IT? What would I lose? Does it go over every item on the Hard Drive and erase it? I wouldn't want that. A system restore point only goes back a maximum of 90 days and I'm pretty sure just doing that is not going to fix it.

I thought for sure I had it when I discovered a little known setting in Windows XP that can be set to BLOCK .EXE Files. But I set the swithc NOT TO BLOCK and the program is still inert. As I said before ALL FILES can be used EXCEPT THE VERY FILES THAT RUN THE PROGRAM.

One Weary Reb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:53 pm 

Rather than detail the issues with reinstalling XP here, I Googled this site: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm which looks like good information. It points to MS too: http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... -us;315341

Look up as much info as you need on the web and decide if it's something you want to risk.

Major General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:29 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by gcollins</i>
<br />Hello Dirk: NO it's a failure too. And I'm nearly at my wits end with this cursed thing.

Does anybody know the repercussions of re-installing Windows XP? NOT a system Restore but REINSTALLING IT? What would I lose? Does it go over every item on the Hard Drive and erase it? I wouldn't want that. A system restore point only goes back a maximum of 90 days and I'm pretty sure just doing that is not going to fix it.

I thought for sure I had it when I discovered a little known setting in Windows XP that can be set to BLOCK .EXE Files. But I set the swithc NOT TO BLOCK and the program is still inert. As I said before ALL FILES can be used EXCEPT THE VERY FILES THAT RUN THE PROGRAM.

One Weary Reb

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

before you reinstall you should back up important stuff.. maybe I am being obvious here... your email address book, Internet explorer favorites...

If you reinstall I suggest you reformat your drive first that way you can get a fresh install...

But Dirk is right.... this should be a last resort...

Major General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:48 pm 

just wanted to let everone know,,i installed both gettysburg and chick,,talonsoft battleground games using windows media player to run the setup. downloaded the latest patches, pasted them into the bgg and bgc folders then ran them and mine works just fine with no problems using xp.

kerry vannnada