American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: CD Drive Techy Question
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:13 pm 

Sirs, well at least you "technical minded" sirs...i.e. computer guys.

You know who you are...those of you who if alive during the 1860s would of been developing the Hunley, building the Monitor, and playing with Lowe's balloons if given the chance.[:D] But alas since you're alive now and here in the present getting the privilege to fiddle with all of Bill Gates contraptions I have a question for all you all.

I just bought a new computer and transferred over the contents (with all my HPS Games) from my old hard drive to the new drive using migration software. Only problem is my HPS games won't run because they're requiring the game CD and the CD player on my new system is drive E: whereas on the old system it was on drive D:. When I try and start the game it's asking me to place the CD in "drive D:". Is there anyway to edit the game files to cause it to look for the game CD in drive E: instead of D: or will I have to re-install the whole game? Does that make sense or is that clear as mud?[:)]

Thanks,

Col. Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:29 pm 

Sir, you can change your hard drive from E to D by going through your control pannel, to system, to hardware, to device manager.

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:41 pm 

If you want to live dangerously, you can edit the Windows registry. The saner approach would be to reinstall the games. (Assuming that Tony's suggestion does not work.)

1<font size="1">st</font id="size1"> Lt. M. Cox
2nd/1st/<i>VIII</i>
AoS
Image<i>'Once more unto the breach'</i>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:15 am 

I assume that there was a reason for making a hard drive partition using C and D. But here are your options:

If D was an accident you can use the Windows Drive Manager to reassign the drive letters making the CD Rom the D drive again.

If you have to have the CD assigned to E then there are some utilities floating around the will search the registry and ini files and change all references from D to E but this can be dangerous. If you are certain than nothing reference D but applications that expected it to be a CD this will work. I don't have the names of any of the utilities so you will probably have to do some digging to find them.

You can do it yourself with regedit utility in windows. Use the Start -> Run and enter "regedt32.exe"

But probably the easiest is uninstall the HPS games and reinstall. Most games will prompt you for the drive letter these days when they don't find the CD so there shouldn't be that many like HPS that require reinstalling to change the letter.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:17 am 
If you're running XP go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management. Right Click the CD ROM and rename it.

LtG. J. Cuneo, CSA
Commanding, Army of Alabama
Image Image

"I have seen the faces of men, who had dared death so often, it lost its' terror." -J.S. Mosby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:08 am 

Thanks guys for all the good advice. I think the safest thing for me to do is just uninstall and reinstall the game and patch. If I started renaming drives I could dig myself a deeper hole and then have bigger problems. I think my HPS games are the only ones that were affected. None of my other games or software are requiring a particular drive. Thanks again. [:)]

ps...and to all my opponents, it may take a couple day to get this corrected so please be patient and enjoy the holidays.

Merry Christmas to everyone....including you Yanks.[:D]

Col. Boyd Denner
"Alabama Brigade"
1/3/III
ANV
"God Bless the Alabamians" Gen. Robert E. Lee - The Wilderness 1864