American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Favourite Historical Era
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:39 am 

Now, I know that people in this club might be a bit biased (!), but I'm wondering what people's favourite historical era is (in terms of military history)? Which could tell us something about why people play these games.

* Is it Grant and Lee and Stoney J and Sherman that gets your pulse racing?

* Is it the splendour of the uniforms of the Napoleonic era?

* Or perhaps linear tactics of the Age of Reason?

* Or does the site of a single Panther facing your Sherman platoon fill you with fear?

* Or maybe drawing swords alongside Caesar or Alexander or the local Shogun?

I'm going through another phase, I think. Started with WW II, then ACW, then on to Napoleonic, then back to ACW, and now getting excited again by WW II (helped on no doubt by spending the weekend finally watching <i>Band of Brothers</i>. (Which if you haven't seen, <u>see</u> <u>it</u>!)

So...what is your favourite era for military history, and why?

Maj Gen Sean Turner
3rd Cavalry Division, "The Bishop's Men"
I Corps
Army of Alabama

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:58 am 

I think I prefer the Ancients. Somthing pure about fighting man to man yet with constant technological innovations to change the tides. Something stirs within me at Hittites Egyptians, Macedonians Romans etal, One can ponder what ifs.. How would chariots do against pikes(poorly I would think) How would the Roman systems fare against Geramaic hordes or Persian Cavalry or Alexanders highly trained minions.Simplistic tactics and strategies reduce a lot of the fighting to weapons, men. morale and formations.

Having said all that, I cant think of ANY military period that doesn`t fascinate me!!! [8D]

Field Lt. Tony Best

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:51 am 
You mean there is another era other than our present struggle for Southern Independence from the durned Yankees??? We have been shouldering our muskets for 145 years now. I reckin we kin continue.....Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:57 am 

I prefer the Napoleonic era....

- Cool uniforms
- The tactics
- The leaders
- Large scale battles

Major General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:17 am 

The Civil War. For over forty years now.

MG Mike Mihalik
1/III/AoMiss/CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:15 am 

The Nappy period is my fav. Sean.

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:25 am 

Depends on what I read. [:D]

But seriously, for years I thought nothing could parallel the illusion of standing on top of Cemetary Ridge and seeing the gray flood build up ... until it breaks. And the Union is saved.

However, lately marching up the ridge beyond La Haye Sainte with the Old Guard comes close.

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
Reserve Artillery, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:39 am 

The Gulf war for me! Preventing the Americans from taking back Kuwait in less than 2 days is quite a challenge. [8D]

Lt. Col. Brad Slepetz
1/4/III/AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:03 pm 

Well, I belong to the ACWGC, PzCC, and CCC, so would rank my interest in that order, typically. I also have the Modern Campaigns titles, so that mixes in towards the bottom as well.

I'd probably enjoy the Colonial games a bit more if Field Marshall DS Walter's and Lt Jeff Bangma's Brits didn't kick the tar out of me so often![:D][B)]

Band of Brother's is a must see and read. I subscribed to HBO just long enough to watch it first time around, then got the DVD's as a gift 2 Christmases ago and watched it again...

General Jeff Laub
Army of the Potomac
Assistant Commandant, Union War College
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/AoP/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:11 pm 
I find anything historical of interest, but... as a kid I had an uncle take me to Gettysburg about 3 or 4 times every summer, so that implanted an interest in the civil war. And later an interest in WWII due to so much available to read and many veterans available to talk to when I was stationed in Germany over 30yrs ago.
Being in Europe is great for visiting battle sites of Napoleon, WWI, WWII, and various other wars. In the US mid-atlantic area there are plenty of ACW battlesites to see.
Bottom line, I guess WWII followed by American Civil War, followed by Napoleon era for me.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:05 pm 

By far the Civil War for me. Other subjects of interest include the Napoleonic Wars, early American wars, the various European Succession wars of the 18th Century, Ancients and the World Wars.

-Brett Schulte
HPS Playtester

ACW Campaign Games Design Center: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWCGDC/index.html

My Civil War Book Collection: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBooks/

ACW Gaming & Reading Blog: http://www.brettschulte.net/ACWBlog/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:24 pm 

I will have to go with WWII Era for reading about. So much changed over such a short period. The changes and strengths and weaknesses of various tanks alone is quite a development. Add to this the concept the combat at sea, expecially in the pacific and you get another huge stage of developement. Yet, until the very end with the atomic bomb, nothing is overwhelming. It was a disturbed era, but facinating in how the "good" guys prevail in the end, after a coming so close to defeat. What I have read on the Napoleonic rea also seems to catch my fancy--but that has been very limited.
Gamewise, however, I seem to prefer the civil war, board game like play is even almost prefered. But grand strategy WWII (although I didn't mind "Steel Panthers" either), finishes second. Currently, I am trying to figure out "Hearts of Iron II" and Schwerpunkt's "Russo-German War '41-'44, so if anyone out there has those and is attempting figure them out also, a human opponent would be availible.
MG Michael Laabs
3/III A of M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:53 pm 

Well, for the past 15 years or so my primary interest has been the Civil War (prior to that it was WWII). Am gaining an interest in the Napoleonic Wars as of late. American Revolution and WWII rank #3 and #4 right now.

Colonel Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:23 pm 

I've had an interest in the ACW since my junior year in high school, had a history teacher who was big on it. Made my first trip to Gettysburg at 18 and later when stationed in Virginia I visited many of the battlefields there.

I started out wargaming mostly WWII because there was a lot of it. Later on I got more into the ACW games as they got better. I also play minatures, mostly early napoleonic era and have probably played minature, board or computer games on just about every era, but the ACW is my favorite. My bookshelf has some WWII and some Napoleonic books with several USMC related books while my ACW library is twice as big as any of the others.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah