American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:08 am 

Here we go.....Who's interested in touring the Gettysburg Battlefield, this sunny day of August 19th?

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:47 am 
I generally work Saturdays, but could link up in the late afternoon with anyone still there and/or see about getting off work that day. Live around an hour 20 min east of there on the PA/MD border.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:06 pm 

What sort of local accomodataions are there ?

I might be able to make that

Lieutenant General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:37 pm 

As far as I'm concerned, this is a "go". That's easy for me too say since I live in Waynesboro, just down the road. I picked August 19th because the tourist season may be a little relaxed at that time (that't only a guess) and the leaves (what's that word Nick used that means leaves?) will still be on the trees. With all the other trees
cut down, this should give us a good perspective on LOS, etc.

John, the internet will provide local accomodations. If you don't mind the ghosts, the Cashtown Inn is a nice Bed and Breakfast and there are plenty of hotels within s short driving distance. It's probably cheaper to sleep out of Gettysburg.

During our last visit, we had breakfast at Dunlaps on Buford Avenue just a little after 8:00AM, went directly to the tourist center across town and got into one SUV(thanks Larry). We then followed the complete auto tour from Herr Ridge to Culp's Hill. We snacked along the way. We concluded the day by visiting a few shops.....I believe it was 5:30PM when we said goodbye.

Perhaps in August we can do the Pickett's Buffet thing after the tour. General Moose would like that.....So Nick, you coming?

The fellowship was great......

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:09 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RE Daley</i>
<br />As far as I'm concerned, this is a "go". That's easy for me too say since I live in Waynesboro, just down the road. I picked August 19th because the tourist season may be a little relaxed at that time (that't only a guess) and the leaves (what's that word Nick used that means leaves?) will still be on the trees. With all the other trees
cut down, this should give us a good perspective on LOS, etc.

John, the internet will provide local accomodations. If you don't mind the ghosts, the Cashtown Inn is a nice Bed and Breakfast and there are plenty of hotels within s short driving distance. It's probably cheaper to sleep out of Gettysburg.

During our last visit, we had breakfast at Dunlaps on Buford Avenue just a little after 8:00AM, went directly to the tourist center across town and got into one SUV(thanks Larry). We then followed the complete auto tour from Herr Ridge to Culp's Hill. We snacked along the way. We concluded the day by visiting a few shops.....I believe it was 5:30PM when we said goodbye.

Perhaps in August we can do the Pickett's Buffet thing after the tour. General Moose would like that.....So Nick, you coming?

The fellowship was great......

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks.. The only issue is I do not drive due to poor eyesight

Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:38 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Corbin</i>
<br />What sort of local accomodataions are there ?

As has been said, just go on the net and there are plenty. In the town square there's one I forget the name that has a hottub in the room.
Right by the visitor center/Electric Map parking lot is I think it's a Quality Inn or Comfort Inn. Thats the closest one to the tourist area and Pickett's Buffet. It also has a small bar that is frequented by reenactors and off duty tour guides, but not many tourists.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:46 am 

Dear Gen. Cobin,

Providing you stay in Gettysburg, I'll personally pick you up for breakfast......Let's say about 7:40 AM....

Dear Maj. General Schlitte,

With those stories General Moose shared with us, it will be more than a pleasure to meet you?

Dear Capt. Larry (Notso) Quick,

To coin a quote....."I wish you were ours"

Hey, where's all the reb support here....nothing but yankees heading to Gettysburg....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:04 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RE Daley</i>
<br />Dear Gen. Cobin,

Providing you stay in Gettysburg, I'll personally pick you up for breakfast......Let's say about 7:40 AM....

Dear Maj. General Schlitte,

With those stories General Moose shared with us, it will be more than a pleasure to meet you?

Dear Capt. Larry (Notso) Quick,

To coin a quote....."I wish you were ours"

Hey, where's all the reb support here....nothing but yankees heading to Gettysburg....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Firts IO need to get to Gettysburg...

Can anyone tell me the closest rail stop/airport to Gettysburg ?

Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:12 am 
Rail?? I know DC and Baltimore have that. But while York PA would be the closest rail I don't know that it still runs there.
Air the closest would be Harrisburg PA and you could also consider BWI. From any place of those you could probably coordinate someone to come pick you up and take you the rest of the way or rent a car. Greyhound bus used to go to Gettysburg, but it's been many years since I dealt with them. I know they still go to York PA. Where are you coming from?

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:27 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Scott Schlitte</i>
<br />Rail?? I know DC and Baltimore have that. But while York PA would be the closest rail I don't know that it still runs there.
Air the closest would be Harrisburg PA and you could also consider BWI. From any place of those you could probably coordinate someone to come pick you up and take you the rest of the way or rent a car. Greyhound bus used to go to Gettysburg, but it's been many years since I dealt with them. I know they still go to York PA. Where are you coming from?

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS

I am comming from Ottawa Canada

I cannot rent a car as I cannot drive

Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:52 pm 

Wow.....Did Nick and I possibbly convert Larry to our side during our recent Gettysburg visit? I don't know but one could conclude that our extension of southern friendship during the visit may have been the final persuasion Larry may have needed....I just don't know.....but it looks like the the south left Getysburg with a victory. John and Scott, one of you may be next......

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:54 am 
As far as I know, here in April, I'm going. Since
Notso is handling the travel arrangements for AoA, he'll
keep me informed of where we meet, etc.

Gen. J. Cuneo, CSA
Army of Alabama, Commanding
Image Image

"I have seen the faces of men, who had dared death so often, it lost its' terror." -J.S. Mosby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:12 am 

Food for thought....

Holiday Inn in Gettysburg is about $115.00 per night for two people. We could buddy up and entend our weekend fun.....Downtown on a Friday night, then back to the hotel for some good old story tellin and beer drinkin and then Saturday morning, we are already there.....A day on the battle field, back to the hotel for a beer and shower and then off to the buffet and back to the hotel for some good old story tellin and beer drinkin.....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:29 am 

I also wanted to bring the issue back to the front page. I suggested
it might be fun if we book some rooms in Gettysburg for Friday and Saturday or whatever. Notso mentioned that we should reserve our rooms sometime soon. I suggest we get a head count to see who's comin and/or stayin and make the response deadline May 31st. This still gives us 11 weeks to book some rooms. I would think that's enough time?

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:10 am 

I will be unable to attend as my work schedule is about to go into overdrive

sorry [:(]

<center>Image