American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Tipple Anyone?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:44 am 

Hi Guys!

Today being March 17th . . . St. Patrick's Day . . . I thought it might be an inneresting little survey to put up here regarding DRINK!

The Irish - particularly on their National Day . . . but also in general Terms, have a reputation for enjoying beer, Whiskey and Paint Thinners by the Bathful. (Totally unfounded Myth - of Course!)

Back in my more Youthful Days . . . two drinks dominated the domestic Market . . . Guinness and a terrible concotion of a Lager called Harp. (Whiskey came a close 3rd . . . usually as a chaser with Guinness . . Paddy and Jameson (pronounce Jemison) . . being the most popular.)

And then my generation came along in the '80's, discovering Cider and queering the Demographics, and changing the Irish Drinks (alcoholic) Market forever.

Now, when I sit down for a "Session" . . . if it's at home, gimme a bottle of good Merlot, Shiraz or Bordeaux . . . basically, a fruity red Wine and I'm anybody's - to do with Me what They will![;)]

If I'm in a drinking Emporium for the Night . . . Guinness, followed by Vodka when I'm Full! [:p]

OR If I'm in a drinking Emporium for the Night during the Summer, Cider, followed by more cider followed by . . . "Why am I Bollock naked, in the Town's Main Drag at 4 in the morn'? [:o)] (Cider drives me Keraaazy . . . as does Whiskey!) [xx(]

What are Your drinking Habits? Why is Your fave - Your fave? Do Ye ascribe to Prohibition? Is alcohol as dangerous a drug as Cocaine, crack, Grass or Heroin? [}:)]

Has anyone any good stories regarding adventures in the Land of Boozed outta My Brainland?

I avoided putting this up on the Smoking Room . . . . as this is a non-political subject . . . let's have some Fun with it Guys! [:D]

Beannachtaí an Lá Fhéile Phádraig libhse go léir!

Fun and Joy to Ye all on St. Patrick's Day.[8D]

Pat.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Brigadier General.
Carroll's Corps,(II)
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia.
C.S.A.Cabinet Secretary

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:04 pm 

Happy St. Patrick's Day, Pat. Today is my daughters birthday, she turned 16 and getting her drivers license. just seemed like yesterday I was changing her diapers and such. back in my younger days my drink of choice was Jim Beam. on several occanion I'd get so blitz that I would end up biting some young lady on her BUTT, as I was told later on since I didn't remember the joyous event[:p]

Respectfully,

Lt. Col. Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
II/2/4 AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:41 pm 

Pat,
Happy St. Patricks day.
In my younger day I would drink almost anything. Now that I'm older and wiser I only drink the finest quality, world renown, healthful drink known to man--Prune Juice.
It also keeps you regular!
Cheers.

Paul Siragusa
Lt. Col. 2nd Div/II, AoG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:48 pm 
Hi Pat

Happy St Patricks day to ya mate!!

I remember (Through a bit of a haze) my younger days at sea where anything that was remotely alcoholic was the flavour of the moment.[B)]

After visiting many ports and countries around the world (some I remember, some I wish to forget) I still come back to the good old sailors beverage "RUM" and only good old dark rum will do......[:D]

Heres knocking back a glass or two with you mate on ya national day..

Regards

Col Darren McDonald
3RD "Southern Cross" Brigade
2ND Division
XIV Corps AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:43 pm 

Well in my younger carefree days I'd drink beer in humongous quantities, being a rather large human being and needing to quaff large amounts. Now that I'm married and settled down it's the occaissional beer or preferrably, ginger ale and Candian Club all winter, spring, and fall. Summer time though I break out the lemonade and add a splash or three of gin to it.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:23 pm 

Pat,

Variety being the spice of life, try these

Scotch: Oban, Lagavulan, Talisker or Highland Park (all peaty single malts - I haven't found a blended scotch I like)

Rum: Meyer's

Beers: Black Sheep Brewery's Yorkshire Square Ale, Bishop's Finger, Courage Imperial Russian Stout, Sam Smith's India Pale Ale, Sam Adams Boston Lager

sparkling wine: Korbel natural
red wine: Chateau Lafitte Rothchilds '72, almost any red wine from Penfold's Winery South Australia

Speaking from experience these ones are pretty good.

Cheers,

Chuck Berdanier
Lt Col, 2/1/IX, AoO
National Light Infantry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:57 am 
Slainte, la le Padraig.

Gen. J. Cuneo, CSA
Army of Alabama, Commanding
Image Image

"I have seen the faces of men, who had dared death so often, it lost its' terror." -J.S. Mosby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:05 am 

Ahhh Paddy me lad,
Don't be forgettin' now that God created drink to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:32 pm 

As my wife's grandfather would say, there are two types of people in this here world. Those that are IRISH and them that want to be IRISH[:)]

Respectfully,

Lt. Col. Gery Bastiani
Fightin' Carolinians
II/2/4 AotM

"Let us pass over the river and rest under the shade of the trees" -Stonewall Jackson