American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Old Topic Revisited
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:43 am 

Taking potshots at leaders? I recently sauntered over to one of my battery commanders during the battle of second Bull Run and advised him to lob a few shells at a cluster of Generals and their orderlies sitting on top of a hill observing the battle in front. My opponent fealt this was unchivalrous. Historically, this doesn't jibe with the facts as there are many instances of leaders attracting battery fire because of the brightness of their epaulettes and frankly, I think if you set foot on the battlefield, you are fair game. Besides, leaders are frequenlty placed where they can watch the battlefield while their units are out of site. But I digress, my question is this: Should taking artillery shots at leaders be allowed or not? This is a poll, so I will track the data. And yes, I understand this is an individual decision, I want to know your individual opinions.

Poll so far: <font color="red">19</font id="red"> vote Yes <font color="red">0</font id="red"> votes No

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
Army of the Potomac, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College
http://acwgc.org/wc/

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:20 am 

I vote yes but I am under the impression that killing/wounding a leader by this method is not likely to happen by design ( of the engine )

Lieutenant General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:25 am 

Generally speaking . . . I avoid potshots at Generals . . . It avoids potential arguments. However, if my Opponent starts it up . . . well then - Fair Game! [;)]

Officers were Killed/Maimed by Arty and Sharpshooters . . . and the game engines allow it. So to ME . . . . it's allowed. Officers are valuable resources . . . You wanna gamble with 'Em . . be prepared to Lose 'Em!! [:D]

Pat.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Brigadier General.
Carroll's Corps,(II)
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia.
C.S.A.Cabinet Secretary

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:43 am 
Shoot at "Braid"? Absolutely!!! It's an American tradition, with British complaints about the practice during the American Revolution.

Of course, you can make a house rule with an agreeable opponent that, "No gentleman would do such a thing. We need wise and responsible leaders to control the riffraff in the ranks."

Read up on the death of Gen Leonidas Polk in 1864 for an example. He had half his ribs removed by a cannonball.

Of course, the great majority of your shots will be wasted, but if you have plenty of ammunition and you see that HQ group all by iself in a central location where it can control troops, I say, "Have at him!"

BG Ross McDaniel
2nd Bde, 3rd Div, III Corps, AoG

Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:44 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by John Corbin</i>
<br />I vote yes but I am under the impression that killing/wounding a leader by this method is not likely to happen by design ( of the engine )

Lieutenant General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep, especially on Talonsoft games where frequently your ammunition is very limited, it's probably not a good idea anyways.

Major General Don Golen
1st Div/ V Corps/
Army of the Potomac, Union!
Assistant Commandant Union War College
http://acwgc.org/wc/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:46 am 

If you wanna waste your arty ammo, have at it. [:D]

Major General Gary McClellan
1st Division, XXIII Corps
AoO,USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:01 am 

Don- I like it when my opponent shoots at leaders and I find no fault both game wise and Historically. Now lets be hopin that ole Bobby Lee doesnt get pot shotted[:p]

Lt Colonel Tony Best
Army of Georgia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:25 am 

I don't do it, but mainly because it's pointless (and also because as a British officer in the war against the first rebellion I resent the practice [;)]).

Gen. Walter, USA
<i>The Blue Blitz</i>
Reserve Artillery, AoS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:11 am 
I see nothing wrong with it. But the odds of a hit are so small that it's generally a waste of ammo.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:57 am 
I wouldn't wast a shot at only a leader, but I do prefer to target stacks that have leaders in them over stacks without leaders. Particlularly if the leader is mounted.

MG(SS) Dave! Bowman
COMCSAANVANV
<center>Image</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:24 pm 

I see nothing wrong with taking the shot. Sometimes, if I have plenty of arty ammo, I might take a shot at leaders, but generally do not. I do not know if it has any effect, though.

Historically, leaders have been fair game. I have read some stories (ACW) where the entire officer staff of regiments were casualities.

Granted, most of the casualties were from indiscriminant fire, but they were wounded or died from it.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:13 pm 

Certainly acceptable if you don't have a better shot for the guns. For the role players, consider it a ranging shot for those troops he is leading that are currently out of sight. As has been stated, hit probability is very low and I don't think it inceases if there is a cluster of officers in the hex. So its low on the target priority list, but what are you going to do, take the ammo home?

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS
"Defenders of the Right"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:26 pm 

Perfectly acceptable historically, have read many accounts of groups of officers being targeted by artillery. Personally I'd only do it in a game if I had lots of artillery ammo but I would have no objection to an opponent doing it.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:25 pm 

My answer is Yes, but I never do it. I have never seen a lone leader killed by direct fire so it's probably a waste of ammo. I don't know how the game actually makes this test so I don't even know if you can kill a leader this way.

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:19 pm 

Definitely take the shot. I don't generally do it unless I've got plenty of ammo or I'm feeling particularly onery and there is nothing else to shoot at. However, I have managed to accomplish a good deal with it twice, once bagging General Longstreet and another time forcing Jeb Stuart to assume room temperature. It's an American tradition to shoot at officers. I'm sure John Reynolds wished it had been differently.

General Mark Nelms
6/3/IX/AoO
"Blackhawk Brigade"