American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:04 am 

Fellas, I have a problem that I could use some advice on. Can you rewire around an open electrical circuit without cutting the power to the current circuit?

You see, the wiring to my house ain’t the best in the world. I live back in a hollow about 5 miles off of the closest road. A few years ago on one of my monthly trips into town, the fellas at the grocery store were talking about some folks refighting the Civil War on something that looked like a telly picture tube. Well that got my interest and I asked where I could sign up. They told me that I needed electricity in order to sign up so I went and talked to the electric company.

The electric company wanted $7,000 to run electricity to my place. That’s dang near a week’s profits off of Granny’s medicine so I couldn’t do that. After a little dickering, they agreed to just lay the wire without attaching it to any poles or trees for $500. Well, I got hooked up and some nice revenooer helped me to get that telly picture tube to working and so I joined this club and have been having a ball ever since. But …

That wire that the electric company run to my place apparently ain’t the best in the world. It runs through bushes, leaves, creeks, rocks, and pig pens over hill and dale for that 5 miles from the road. I’m constantly having electrical outages. I grab my gun and duct tape and start tracing that line back toward the road until I find the problem and then I duct tape the heck out of it. You never know what you’ll find as bears bite into it, wolves and foxes tear it if they dookey close to it and then tear it as they scratch away at the ground trying to cover up their dookey, and that’s not even mentioning what the possums and squirrels do to it.

Tracing that line can be mighty difficult. As it runs through creeks and leaves, that water is awfully cold to hold your head under and wade through, plus the line can often just disappear as it passes through a pile of leaves. I remember one time when I found what looked like a break in the line in one of those piles of leaves. I picked it up and duct taped it for dang near a 5 foot stretch before I realized that I had hold of a black racer snake instead. I dropped that sucker and it went waddling off rather undignified like. Folks around these parts still talk about the day that a funny looking duct taped black racer came right through the middle of town all standing up on it’s tail and stiff as a poker from about 5 feet of duct tape. They got a picture of it hanging down at the courthouse. I never let on to anybody about how that duct tape got there.

Anyway, to get to my problem, I had a good game going a while back when the electricity went out. I didn’t have to trace it back too far when I found the trouble. As the line crossed the creek near the house, it had broke in two right in the middle of the creek. I couldn’t get the duct tape to stick and I needed to finish the game (we’re at turn 16 of a 147 turn game) so Martha (that’s my wife) was good enough to be talked into wading into the middle of that creek and picking up those two pieces of wire and holding them together. It’s worked nicely most of the time but every now and then she lets out this blood curdling scream that can make your hair curl on end. It usually happens about the same time that I turn the electricity on to play a game. Well, I’ve made a couple of moves that wasn’t the way I intended due her screaming. Is there any way that I can shut her up by running another line across that creek without having to turn the electricity off and spoil my game? Besides, Martha's getting pretty pruny looking after all that time standing in the middle of that creek.

Brig Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:13 am 

Your wiring is ok, Martha is the problem! (That was funny and the answer is yes, but use care, make sure you don't have the shakes and rewire one wires at a time)

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:00 pm 

LOL, great description! Typical Power Coy's.

I wouldn't recommend fixing the wire while its live, the flashes yer get in yer eyes when y' hold both ends makes it hard to tie 'em together (y' wife will know sumfin' about this already!). Somewhere down near where the far end of the cable attaches to the electric coy's power pole will be some sort of a switch arrangement.

You'll need more wire, too!

Turn it off at the switch (in our part of the world it's a plug that simply pulls out), walk back to yer break, trim, add and tape your cable (if multiple wires, make sure that y' join red to red, black to black, etc.). Plug 'er back in and away y' go...

If'n y' can't find the switch, get one of them electric techs to tell ya what to do over a jar or two (they're usually quite talkative then)...

Regards

MG Mark Oakford
XVIII Corps, AoJ