American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Longest Running Game?
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:20 pm 

In the latest muster report for the XIXth Corps, BG Daryl Miles reported a minor defeat in a Multiplayer Chickamauga Game. Now that wouldn't generate a lot of attention, if there wasn't a notation that the game started around 6 years ago!. Turns out BG Miles was also the sole surviving Union Player. His opponents were Rebel Commanders David Mallory, Gene Nix, Tim Reneau and David Peek. I guess they were all Lts at the time this started! I assume this has to be a strong contender for the longest running game in the club.

Now my own experience for a "long game" was a Corinth Campaign game against Commander Rudy Zodda that went around 6 battles and 2 years of play. It's hard for me to image a game going 3 times as long as that!

Any other notable long duration games?

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS
"Defenders of the Right"

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 1:57 pm 

That's a neat little fact Bob. Not really notable but I've been in Fredericksburg since July 2005....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:48 pm 

I had an all-in-one Eckmuhl last a year and a half before my opponent left the hobby. Then a Campaign in NRC go about that long too, but was completed. I couldn't imagine keeping a game on the books for 6 years though!!

LGen. Hamilton
II Corps
ANV, CSA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:50 pm 

As a lover of statistics (making me a great baseball fan), I've always thought it would be neat to know who the record holder was in such varied categories as . . . Most Leader-Casualty points in one battle . . . Most artillery point casualties accumulated . . . Most melees won in one turn . . . Largest single "hit" scored by an artillery battery in a Talonsoft battle? An HPS battle? (I once got a 175-man hit at Chickamauga, point blank in the woods). . . . and many others.

Your obedient servant,

Col Dwight McBride
1st Brigade ("The Regulars")
2nd Division/V Corps/AOP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:31 pm 

Col McBride's reply suggests an "opportunity". I will present it, I'm not interested in doing it - so the idea is free to be taken.

We could establish a sticky post -- "First with the Most -- 2006" and allow people to reply with notable events in their games that they believe might be "firsts". The author of the post could keep a running total of the "best in various categories" and edit the original post to reflect the latest results. At the end of the year, some awards might be possible for those who were indeed "first with the most"!

Once in a Tournament, we ecouraged the players to report every 3-5 turns or so on the progress of their matches -- everyone was playing the same blind scenario. The inputs were encoraged to be more then just the score, but to include some "color commentary" about the progress of the games. The result was a rather lengthy but interesting history of what was happening across the games. Perhaps the above sticky idea, or some variation, might be a low effort way to capture some of the more itneresting action in the games.

Lt Gen Bob Breen
Commanding XIX Corps, AoS
"Defenders of the Right"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 5:10 pm 

NOT ACW, but most, if not all, the players are in both the ACW and NWC club. We started an Echmuhl MP game on OCTOBER 15, 2001. We are still playing, though slowly. We are 6 months from 5 years playing and we are all original players.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 1:15 am 

3-4 years is my record. But that's how long I've been around. [:P]

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Major General Scott Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, III Corps
Army of Northern Virginia
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retried ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

I am loath to close. We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1st Inaugural Address

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:03 am 

As I have posted before my "longest" streak would be a continuous opponent, John Dragan. We have exchanged over 650 turns at 22 different battles, starting from September 2003. That's an average of 21 turns per month over the 31 months.

Currently, he's beating me senseless at New Madrid...[:D][B)]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:20 am 

General Breen,

And this one has truly been a team effort to keep going. I was not one of the original players. General Nix recruited me when Generals Reneau and Peek had to take a break from the game. He and I carried on from the Rebel side against two Yanks. When Reneau and Peek returned I offered to step out but Nix insisted there were more than enough troops to go around so I stayed in. Then Nix retired from the Navy and packed up his computer for several months, leaving the three of us to carry on for the Rebs. Later, I had machine problems on a couple of different occasions and was out of the game for a while myself.

Somewhere along the line the other Yank had to drop out, leaving General Miles outnumbered 4-to-1, but he carried on alone against us. This is a pretty tough battle for the Union anyway and he finally conceded, but it was fun keeping it going.

This brings up another point: If an officer has to drop out of a game, maybe he should check with his superior (or someone else) to see if a substitute can be found to take over. I've taken over now in a couple of games and it adds an entirely new element, since I have little or no knowledge of what has gone before (other than zooming in and looking at bodies on the ground!). I look at it as if the senior commander became incapacitated and I've suddenly been placed in charge of the entire army, and the senior commander had no staff and left no records. As a lower-level commander, though, I realize I would have at least been privy to what had happened in my little corner of the battlefield. Anyway, it's quite challenging and I encourage everyone to be open to this.

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army