American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:37 pm 

I rode my horse jetfire to the crossings at Memphis,Tn..It was a very warm afternoon on a Friday..Under a BIG UNION FLAG was my opponent for many years....Could tell by his beady eyes and his scrubby West Point shirt who he was...That Union General has been a confidant and friend for many years...We shook hand and gave each other a man hug..My dagger was in my hands but I didn't have enough time to use it...He was to quick and shifty like on the battlefield....We rented a few horses to get us to Corinth....On the way the union general wanted a pulled pork sandwitch...But I talked him out of it...One thing that I should have done..HE reminded me about this every time he was hungry..Should have bought him a sandwitch then...We rode to Corinth and looked for the General Hampton Inn...There we met another Union General..I started feel out of place...Then out of the clear blue sky our Commanding General showed up with his beautiful bride...You should have seen those Yankee's mouth drop...They started to stare and act funny...Must been the first time they have seen a real southern belle..We then mounted our horses and went to Corinth..Checked out the crossing...The city was still in Confederate hands..A train went by with Southern written all over it..The next morning we went to Shiloh..Met another Union guy who was a Reb..A very pleasant guy..Now the score was three Union generals to two Rebs..But that would be a fair fight now....We had a neutral guide take us out to the battlefield...Very pleasant individual..Showed us the beginning of the battle... He took us places where even rabbits wouldn't go..Showed us where the Union ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch them....Names like Sherman, Prentice and Wallace...Showed us the places where the brave Rebs where....Showed us the spot where Gen. Johnston died.....A tear came to everyone's eye....We ate lunch at the landing...Those guys ate good ole southern catfish..We went back to the battlefield and finished the first day of battle..Sunken road, Hornet's nest, Bloody Pond, the Peach Orchard just to mention a few...In the end of the tour we ran out of time..The guide knew that the second day had no interest to us..That he was only going to talk about the great Southern victory..And that he did..We went down a road that was closed to the public..The look on the faces of the people walking..I think they were staring at the Union generals..Like they never seen them before..The day ended with a fine meal at the local finest eatery.."DQ"...Sunday we went back to Corinth to the new visitor's center..What a beautiful and serene place..The mounument to the Civil War with the water falls is fantastic... We all sat there and talked in a hushed voice..Then it was time to leave...Ned Simms only stayed for the battlefield tour...Dave and Carol Mallory were fun to be with..A great couple..This point I said goodbye to my good old friend Dave Danner..The kindest gentleman in the South..Derald Riggs and I went back to the airport..We met after we went through security and ate a pulled pork sandwitch..Then and only then did he stop yapping about a pulled pork sandwitch..What a great guy he is..Truely a class act..And for me.....I have memories that will last me a lifetime....

Lt. Gen. John Dragan
III/AoA

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:07 am 

Sounds like you had a great time. Wish I could have been there.[:)]

Lt. Gen. Ed Blackburn
II/VI/AoS
"Forward Bucktails"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:59 am 

All,

I am truly jealous! Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing some of it with us!

Need me one of them jetfire horses to get from Seattle to where the action was (is!).[:D]

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:59 am 

Gentlemen,

Here's a photo of the group:

From left to right: Dave Danner, Derald Griggs, John Dragan, David Mallory, and Ned Simms. (Take a good look at the socks John is wearing. They were a gift from Dave Danner!)

<font color="red">(Larry Quick posted the photo on his site and it is showing up better for me now. Apparently Tripod is one of those providers that doesn't allow direct links to photos on their site. My thanks to Larry.)</font id="red">

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. I picked up a special visitor center edition "Blue & Gray" magazine on the battle, and my wife read it to me on the way home. Well, she read the first half dozen pages. She would sometimes get an entire sentence read before either I would stop her to interject some editorial comment or she would stop to ask a clarifying question. We had about 8 hours of driving and are now to the point in the article where the fighting is just starting. (So far, it's just been setting the stage -- describing the early war in the west leading both armies to the area and going into detail on the generals on both sides.) My wife and I are both looking forward to our next long drive so we can get into the battle itself [:D] !

By the way, if you look closely in the reflection from our glasses you may catch a glimpse of my lovely wife, Carol, taking the picture [;)] !

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 2:14 am 

Nice to put faces to the names.. Greta pic... cute socks to :>

<center>Image
Lieutenant General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 3:22 pm 

Bound for it to take a Yankee to do all of the figuring around here. It's easy to reduce the size of the photo, just cut out the two Rebs in the middle and it'll be just right.

It was a good group and a pleasure to meet everyone. A strange fact is that the Yankees in the group live in Mississippi, Alabama, and Oklahoma while the Rebels live in Ohio and Missouri. Ain't that a flip flop! The Yankees were also taller than the Rebs, more handsome than the Rebs, smelt better than the Rebs, had better shoes than the Rebs, were better shots than the Rebs, attracted more women than the Rebs, and fewer mosquitos.

What gentlemen (and a lady) they were. If you get the opportunity to meet with any of your fellow club members, by all means, do it. This was my second time and I look forward to the third time. There is never a shortage of things to talk about between club members.

Maj Gen Ned Simms
VI/AoS/USA
Blood 'n Guts hisself, a land lovin' pirate. Show me some arty tubes and we'll charge 'em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 6:32 am 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsimms</i>
<br />The Yankees were also taller than the Rebs, more handsome than the Rebs, smelt better than the Rebs, had better shoes than the Rebs, were better shots than the Rebs, attracted more women than the Rebs, and fewer mosquitos.

Maj Gen Ned Simms
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

General Simms,

At least we brought the purtiest women with us [:)] !

And I had meant to mention that flip-flop, as well. Could it be we were all holding our maps upside down [:D] ?

Your humble servant,
Gen 'Dee Dubya' Mallory

David W. Mallory
ACW - General, Chief of the Armies, Confederate States of America & Cabinet Member
CCC - Ensign, Georgia Volunteers, Southern Regional Deaprtment, Colonial American Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 12:30 am 

I drove 5 hours through enemy territory and didn’t see any Rebels until I arrived in Corinth and saw one eating a donut. He was drinking real coffee. Not that corn silk and raspberry leaf kind he usually drinks. He was sure smiling. His Union companion, Derald Riggs, was downing a chocolate chip cookie complaining about not getting the barbecue sandwich he expected in Memphis advising that Rebels couldn’t eat in the middle of the day. We hugged and talked about two hours before them renegades from Missouri, D.W. and Carol Mallory, showed up with glad hands and faces “ablazen.â€