American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:00 pm 
Lt. Quick,
I'm wondering how many members of the staff of the ACWCO are still active, and "recruitable", if interested, to work on new expansion projects and on the revision of the already published mods.
What about David Kerns and Paul Wakeman? Are these valliant officers still in the modding community?

Lt.Col. Luciano Bassotti
3/1/II/ANV
"Lee's Foreign Legion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:58 pm 

Over the last few months there has been a tourney going in the ACWGC that has utilized alot of the BG mods. I think that has gotten people interested in the mods again. I am currently playing 2 BG mods. Keep them coming!

Brigadier General Dale Lastowicka
1st "Adirondack" Division
XXV Corps
Army of the James

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:46 am 

Col Bassotti,

Although I am not actually part of the ACWCO staff I have done some graphics work in the past for the officers there, specifically leaders.bmp and faces.bmp files. I have a considerable list of pictures available in my Corinth Leaders.bmp file and if I can be of any assistance in this area please let me know.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:37 am 
Gen. Miller,
thank you very much for your kind offer.

It would be great if we can rely also on a group of volunteers who may perform the play-testing of the mods, both the current available battles and the future add-on's, to produce a general update of the "unofficial" games.

Lt.Col. Luciano Bassotti
3/1/II/ANV
"Lee's Foreign Legion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:48 am 
Lt Quick,
here the download links for two "new" add-on battles for BGC to be uploaded on ACWCO;

Mansfield (1864):
http://rapidshare.de/files/22722343/Man ... C.zip.html

Champion Hill (1863)
http://rapidshare.de/files/22723270/Cha ... C.zip.html

Lt.Col. Luciano Bassotti
3/1/II/ANV
"Lee's Foreign Legion"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:05 pm 
As a new member, how best can I engage in a BGG active game?

bretgs@yahoo.com

Bret

bgs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 6:20 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bretgs</i>
<br />As a new member, how best can I engage in a BGG active game?

bretgs@yahoo.com

Bret

bgs
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Have you joined the club or just registered on the message boards? To join the Union side, just go to:http://pages.infinit.net/wargame/ACW_Forms/USAregistration.html
To join the Confederate side, go to:
http://pages.infinit.net/wargame/ACW_Forms/CSAregistration.html.

After a short training process, you are then free to challenge to play any of the games, from HPS or the BG series.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:34 pm 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by notso</i>
<br />Col. Bassotti,

This is the message I received:

My name is David Heath and I am the Director of Operations for Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) As you might know Matrix Games has purchased the rights to the full Talonsoft game line. We plan on release two games. The first game will be called John Tiller's Battleground Civil War which all include all of the Civil War games in the series. The second game will be called John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars and will include all the Napoleonic games in the series. We saw your tools you have on your web site (http://www.acwgc.org/acwco/patches.asp) and wanted to discuss with you maybe including them in our release and also see if you would be interested in looking over what we have and how we could help the community. Thank you in advance for your time.

I responded to him and made sure the entire Cartography staff was included. To date I have not heard back. I just sent him an inquiry into where we were.

If you have updates or new games, please forward them to me so I can post them at the Cartography Office webiste.

Respectfrully,

Fld. Lt. Larry (Notso) Quick
ACWGC Cartography Office Staff

I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to purchase the entire BG series, and look forward to the Matrix Games release.

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:55 am 
Lt. Quick,
I tried a couple of times to answer to your e-mail but I always received back a failed delivery notification ...I'm very disappointed because the same occured many times in the past when I attempted to contact David Kerns to send him the material for the ACWCO ...I'm starting to suppose that a hidden enemy is undertaking a sort of sabotage of every project concerning the BG games:):):)

...please contact me again
...I've just checked the ACWCO, and I discovered that is missing also my game covering the 2nd battle of Kernstown ...I'll upload here the game tomorrow using rapidshare

Your obedient servant,
Lt.Col.Luciano Bassotti
3/1/II/ANV
"Lee's Foreign Legion"
proud member of ACWCO staff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:24 pm 

Sir, <salute>

I am still active, haven't had much to do lately as been doing other things.

I am in conversation with David K. and Larry Q. and we should get those new games on board.

Always open to help look them over if need be also.

Also hoping Matrix will rerelease all BG titles with BGC updates as this was latest in series. Also hoping they may use my ACWCO Launcher.

<font color="gold"><b>Col. </b></font id="gold">Paul Wakeman, <font color="limegreen">Sharpshooter</font id="limegreen">
[url="http://www.acwgc.org/acwgc_members/paw/Wakeman.html"]OBD[/url]
Kansas Dragoons
<font color="beige">2nd Cavalry Division </font id="beige">
<b>XIX Corps, AoS,<font color="gold"> USA</font id="gold"></b>

Cartographer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:27 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tominrichmond</i>
<br />Despite their shortcomings (e.g., no soft ZOCs), I prefer em and have tried some of your creations-- loved Kernstown.

I'd enthusiastically support any further expansions: Cold Harbor, anyone?

Field Lt. Tom McKenna, 4/2/I, AoG, CSA
"The Hibernian Raiders"

Tom,

You can't be serious. Cold Harbor was a slaughter house, much like Fredericksburg and the 3rd morning at Gettysburg, unless you allow for the possibility the Grant might have moved a little faster, and gotten into position before the boys from the ANV were dug in.

I've recently been re-reading Bruce Catton's brilliant trilogy on the Army of the Potomac, and their tendancy to wait when they should have moved, and to charge in when they should have moved on. This tendancy was repeated again and again, even after Grant assumed command, allowing the AoP to snatch defeat from victory after victory.

I don't mean to take anything away from the beloved Robert E. Lee, but his success was as much a result of his brilliant tactics, as Union incompetence.

Of course, if you find yourself on an ACWGC battlefield against someone like Pete Eagle or Willie Passmore, I suggest you bring your 'A' game. Those boys don't make any mistakes worth mentioning.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:40 pm 

Anything fresh would be welcomed.....

Colonel R.E.Daley
1st Corps of the ANV
3rd Calvary Divsion,
3rd Brigade
"We are the Midnight Riders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:31 pm 

Bill,

I just upgraded my computer and the family computer including installing XP 64 on the family machine. I backed up information to an external hard drive before I reformatted my computer that included the entire Talonsoft directory tree with all the BG games. I just tested the BG games with the USB drive connected to the XP 64 machine and it ran perfectly. Like you, it wouldn't install from the game CD even in compatibility mode. So, if you can copy an installation from another XP 32 machine you should be OK. I wish I knew how to hand-edit the registry so it will play music. I don't want to do the reinstall hassle myself.

Lt. General Dirk Gross
XIV Corps/AoC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:22 pm 

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dirk Gross</i>
<br />Bill,

I just upgraded my computer and the family computer including installing XP 64 on the family machine. I backed up information to an external hard drive before I reformatted my computer that included the entire Talonsoft directory tree with all the BG games. I just tested the BG games with the USB drive connected to the XP 64 machine and it ran perfectly. Like you, it wouldn't install from the game CD even in compatibility mode. So, if you can copy an installation from another XP 32 machine you should be OK. I wish I knew how to hand-edit the registry so it will play music. I don't want to do the reinstall hassle myself.

The BG series does NOT use the registry, at all. All the pertinent information is kept in an .INI file for each game, i.e. BG.INI for Gettysburg. The structure of the .INI file and what to modify change, is below:

You might have to modify the BG?.INI file if you get the game to install this way. Open the BG?.INI file in a text editor, like NOTEPAD and find the lines:

[Install]
sounds=D:\BGG\
videos=D:\BGG\
cdrom=3

If your CDROM DRIVE is drive "D", the above is what the INI file should show. IF your CDROM DRIVE is drive letter "E" (for instance), then you would change the above to read:

[Install]
sounds=E:\BGG\
videos=E:\BGG\
cdrom=4

With the above BG.INI file, for instance, your music, etc should play.

In effect, you are telling the game to look at drive "D" for the sounds, even though the game was not really installed from there.

You should look for the BG?.INI files on your old computer and copy them to your WINDOWS SYSTEM folder and then mdify each INI file. Before going through the whole process of changing each INI file, test this out on one of them to be sure the sound/music plays.

<b><font color="gold">Ernie Sands
General, Commanding, Army of Ohio
ACWGC Cabinet member
</b></font id="gold">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:16 pm 

Sir
I only own the BattleGround Games(all 5 titles). Therefore you have my full support. All the additional Mod was one reason why I joined the Club. As for playtesting or reviewing goes some time could be set aside for The Cause. Please continue!

Respectfully
Lt."Mr Herb" Nagel
4/2/I, AotM