American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:37 pm 
Gentlemen,

I left the club activity for several months, due a transitory lack of motivations and a bit disappointed for the decreasing interest in the games of the Battlegorund series among the members of the club.
Some of you may remember me as the author of some of the "unofficial" expansions for the BG series. The current list of finished expansion battles made by me includes 1st Winchester, 2nd Winchester, 3rd Winchester, 1st Kernstown, 2nd Kernstown, Mansfiled, Champion's Hill; some others like Vicksburg and Honey Springs, I made in collaboration with David Kerns.
I would like to return to work on these games, updating the current works and making some new battles;
I need to know how much support may receive the resuming of an "unofficial Battleground project" among the members of the community, before undertaking again that effort.

Sincerely,
Your obedient servant,
Lt.Col. Luciano Bassotti.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:28 pm 
Sir, you have my support in your endeavour as i only own the battleground games

Lt Byron Cameron
1st "Templar Knight"Bgde
3rd Division
1st Corps
AoP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:54 am 

<center>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<b>Major General Scott "The Mad Prussian" Ludwig</b>
Commanding Officer, Western Theater, CSA
Interim Chief of Staff, CSA
"The Army Commissary" and "The Traveling Blowhard of Virginia"
Retried ANV Commander 2004-06

http://www.networkforgood.org

[url="http://napoleonicwargaming.com"]Napoleonic Wargaming - 1NWCG[/url]</center>

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:38 am 

Personally, I prefer the BG games.

Major General Don Golen

Army of the Potomac, Union!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:42 am 

While I sem to have mainly HPS battles going on now, I am always game for the BG and I have enjoyed many of the add ons made. I think anything that helps expand this club and hobby is worth while.

GEN. Tony Malone
Commander Army of Mississippi
"Do your duty in all things, You can never do more, You should never wish to do less".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:00 am 
Despite their shortcomings (e.g., no soft ZOCs), I prefer em and have tried some of your creations-- loved Kernstown.

I'd enthusiastically support any further expansions: Cold Harbor, anyone?

Field Lt. Tom McKenna, 4/2/I, AoG, CSA
"The Hibernian Raiders"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:08 am 

Hi Luciano!

My own view would be that You are mistaken in thinking that the BG series are fading away.

It is precisely because the Series is "Modable", that it has remained an emminently playable and popular Series.

HPS is of a different format in many (often subtle) ways and allows for the "Single Phase" and campaign Modes.

Quite a few ACWGC Members will only play HPS Games, ONLY if their Opponent agrees to play with the Optional Auto Defensive Fire/Manual Defensive Fire Rules set to simulate the BG order of Phases. Most of these Players - along with a considerable number of the other Members, will also play the BG Games on a regular basis.

I, for example - currently have Games in the HPS standard format, HPS "Battleground" format, BG standard scenarios AND BG "Modded" scenarios on my Dance Card.

Any work You care to put in regarding further Mods or Scenarios will receive support and usage - rest assured!!![:D]

The BG series is also very well suited towards Skirmish Actions, which Battle/Campaign orientated series such as the HPS series tend to ignore. Some of the skirmishes in North Carolina or Texas, come to mind. Simone Tombesi's excellent Hill Challenge has amply proved BG's suitability in this format.

I - for one - have enjoyed and greatly appreciated your efforts Luciano in the Past and salivate profusely at the prospect of further Adventures in "Bassotti's Civil War." [:p]

Long may it continue Luciano! [8D]

Pat.

Patrick G.M.Carroll,
Brigadier General.
Carroll's Corps,(II)
"Spartan Southrons"
Army of Georgia.
C.S.A.Cabinet Secretary

" When My Country takes it's rightful place, amongst the Nations of the World, then and only then, let My Epitaph be written. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:27 am 

I've played many of those add on battles, and still enjoy them. Hope you resume!

General Jeff Laub
Union Chief of the Army
ACWGC Cabinet Member
http://www.geocities.com/laubster22/UnionHQ/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:49 am 
I'm very glad to see that there's still interest around the BG series.

I'm planning to set up a little play-testing "forum" with the aim to update and finalize all the custom expansions available for the BG titles, collecting all the suggestions from the players still around in the community. I have also some half-done projects which need to be completed, so expect some fresh stuff too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:22 pm 

Location: Mukilteo, Washington, USA - 25 miles north of Seattle
<font face="Andale Mono"><font color="pink"><font size="4">Colonel Bassotti Suh! <salute>

I am an HPS gamer that uses phase play! However I own all of the BG ACW gaming titles and am always looking for something new or different in a subject matter! I really don't think that this group will turn down any new titles or battles that come up. Design to your hearts content! LOL!

Respectfully!

</font id="size4"></font id="pink"></font id="Andale Mono">

<font color="pink">Nick Kunz
[img]C:\FrontPage%20Webs\Content\library\vol_1\v1p2_files\CsaGenStaffB.gif[/img]
Lieutenant General
Commandant, VMI
Confederate States of America</font id="pink">

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:46 am 

Love BG as well

<center>Image
Lieutenant General John Corbin
Commanding officer
Army of The James
USA</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:28 am 
I read some time ago that "Matrix games" acquired the entire range of Talonsoft's titles, and that an updated re-issue of the BG series was coming soon... but nothing followed. It's nice to know that they are interested to include some of our expansions available at the ACWCO ...I'm wondering which of these add-on's they are looking for.
About my games available at ACWCO, I have the updated versions for them; I have ready also a couple of other battles, Mansfield (1864) and Champion's Hill (1863), both for BGC, not yet published in the ACWCO.

Currently I'm working on a massive battle of Wilderness (1864) using a huge map, which will be ready about in a month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:15 am 

Col Bassotti,

Personally I don't play as much BG as I used to but then I've been playing it since it first came out and I have branched out into other eras reducing my gaming time. I think you'll find there are still plenty of people playing the BG mods.

Gen. Ken Miller

Army of the Shenandoah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:01 am 
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="3" face="book antiqua" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Luciano Bassotti</i>
<br />
About my games available at ACWCO, I have the updated versions for them; I have ready also a couple of other battles, Mansfield (1864) and Champion's Hill (1863), both for BGC, not yet published in the ACWCO.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

AWESOME! I will be looking forward to these two. love the Mods, keep them coming.

BG D.H. Smith
3rd Cavalry Divison,III Corps,AoA

http://sapper99.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:51 am 

Howdy!

I own all the BG games and enjoy them thoroughly. I have one HPS title and never was too enthused about it. Mainly, because of the colors used (See my previous posts about color blind players.) I have serious problems with the HPS game I own because it is very difficult for me to see things, it is literally like playing blind. I think the BG series is far from dead and worth the effort.

Lt. Gen. Rob Harney
3rd Div/III Corps/AoG
"The Pennsyltucky Zouaves"
VMI Instructor