American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:04 pm 
<font color="blue">I haven't been active in the club in some time, but I wanted to share something with all of you.

Some time ago I purchased a letter written by Pvt Shipman in Sept of 1862. Below is my attempt at transcribing the letter:</font id="blue">

Frederick, Md. Sunday,
Sept. 14th, 1862.
12 o’clock pm.

Friend Hubbard;
At 7 o’clock Thursday morning last we broke camp at Leesborough and commenced to march; marched about 15 miles and halted just as it commenced to rain; Friday we marched as much further, and halted at Damascus(?); Saturday we marched about 12 miles, and encamped at New Market; and this forenoon we reached Frederick City, about 8 miles, and have halted for dinner. It is the only respectable place we have seen since we left Washington, containing 9000 inhabitants; part of Burnside’s division are here; the rest are driving the evening; the first night we stopped only between 20 and 30 answered(?) roll call; about(?) 30 afterwards joined us, but a number we have not get ???, including Ha??? and Fe????; they both fell out before noon the first day. Joe and myself yet stick it out.
After marching one day I was put on guard and it rained all night wetting me through and my blankets. We carry a flannel blanket, rubber blanket, overcoat, half of a tent, canteen (full), haversack with rations, and body belt and cartridge box with 40 cartridges; my blankets and coat have been wet ever since I was on guard, and it seems as if they weighed 300 pounds. I tell you I am pretty tired, but I don’t mean to give out until I fall down in the street. Our rations are poor, but we hope for better things. The hardest thing about it, is we have to guard rebel houses. We halted to rest this morning opposite a Union man’s orchard, and he asked us to help ourselves, and because two or three got over the Colonel called one to him and struck him with his sword, a favorite game with him. He, and all the other officers, steal every thing they want to eat; the other night he took a chicken away from a man who had bought it, and afterward he offered to pay him for it. Many of the men swear they will shoot him if he ever goes into action with us. We have had no mail since Wednesday, but will if we ever stop any time. Friday we heard the guns plainly, and they seemed to be near, but this morning we hear them far off. You will do me a great favor, if you will send me small Treasury notes, fifty and 25 cent ones for the $5.00 I send you. I have had to go hungry because I could not get it changed; direct to Washington.
Remember me to all the boys and excuse more at present, as I am very tired.

Thankful for the many past favors rendered,
I remain
Your Sincere Friend,
J Edward Shipman

If I ever get home I will have such long stories to tell you

<font color="blue">I did a little research after transcribing. Below is a short summary of the history of the 16th CT:</font id="blue">

The 16th Connecticut was formed in Hartford County, Connecticut, in July and August 1862. It was mustered into service August 24, 1862 and became part of Mr. Lincoln's Army of the Potomac. Three weeks later the regiment first saw action at the Battle of Antietam, Maryland as part of Burnside's Ninth Army Corps. Having loaded muskets for the first time only the day before the battle, the regiment suffered significant casualties at Antietam. It next saw action at Fredericksburg, Virginia in December 1862, then at the Siege of Suffolk, Virginia in April/May 1863. In 1864, the 16th Connecticut, then with the 18th Army Corps, was part of the Union garrison at Plymouth, North Carolina, and vigorously defended Plymouth against a Confederate combined land and naval attack April 17-20, 1864 led by General Robert F. Hoke, C.S.A. Outnumbered more than 5 to 1, with no means of escape or opportunity for reinforcements, the Union garrison at Plymouth was surrendered on April 20, 1864 by Brigadier General Henry W. Wessells. These Union soldiers at Plymouth were known as the "Plymouth Pilgrims".
Captured officers were then sent to various prisons while the enlisted men and non-commissioned officers went to Andersonville. At the same time as the attack on Plymouth, General U. S. Grant put an end to prisoners-of-war exchanges. This action resulted in long periods of incarceration for prisoners on both sides. Considering the poor conditions in the Confederacy, a large percentage of the enlisted men and non-commissioned officers captured at Plymouth died in prison of disease and starvation over a period of many, many months. Several hundred of the 16th Connecticut died under these horrible conditions. The regiment was mustered out of service on June 24, 1865.

<font color="blue">And finally, the most touching part:</font id="blue">

Shipman, Jonathan E.; Private, Company C; Residence, Hartford, Connecticut; Enlisted August 11, 1862; Mustered August 24, 1862; Mustered out June 24, 1865.

<font color="blue">Pvt Shipman certainly did have some long stories to tell, but after spending a year in the swamps of VA and NC, and a year in Andersonville, I doubt he wanted to remember his stories.

Hope you enjoy as much as I did this bit of real history!

Maj B Roda</font id="blue">

Roda's Connecticut Volunteer Battalion
4th Division
I Corps, Army of Alabama