American Civil War Game Club (ACWGC)

ACWGC Forums

* ACWGC    * Dpt. of Records (DoR)    *Club Recruiting Office     ACWGC Memorial

* CSA HQ    * VMI   * Join CSA    

* Union HQ   * UMA   * Join Union    

CSA Armies:   ANV   AoT

Union Armies:   AotP    AotT

Link Express

Club Forums:     NWC    CCC     Home Pages:     NWC    CCC    ACWGC
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "Fight the War" RIP?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:21 pm 
Gentlemen,

Can us participants consider "Fight the War" dead and buried, or is there still some remote sliver of hope that it will rise from the ashes like the proverbial Phoenix?

Very Respectfully,

Col Eagle
1/1/XXIV/AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:11 am 
If it is dead, I think an analysis of why it died would be helpful from all concerned. I thought the concept was fantastic, but the implementation was hampered by the man-hours of support required to make it all work. I would think that some process for automating the workload would be required for it to be viable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:21 am 

Not So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I was just sending you an email to see if there was any chance of it continuning when I saw this post. Been a long time partner since we conversed.
If anyone on the club has the ability to step up to the plate on this it would be great. This was one of the best time's for me in the club. I know nothing about doing it or I would be glad to. I would be willing to help in someway if someone else could pitch in to help Larry.
What if someone took it and started over even if we used the scenario's and maps off the games we could just about cover any area by using the assorment of games available.

Email me stranger heck I thought you had been killed by one of those good Union Generals. [:)] passmore@pine-net.com

Sorry about Hank but real life can sure throw some curves at us sometimes.

General Willie Passmore
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Corps, AoP

General Willie Passmore
2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Corps, AoP

Profile Send private message  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:06 am 

I heard that the Rebs got wind that I had joined the ranks of the good guys and Jeff Davis emailed a white flag to Big Abe.......[:D]

Lt. General Jeff Bangma
Commander, Army of the Potomac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:38 am 
Sounds like the biggest hold up in continuing without Hank would be having someone with the smarts to do the battle set ups in Corinth 1.01.
Notso probably has the info/OB on hand. I know Gen Ken Miller AoS would have the smarts but probably not the time. Maybe he could educate Notso and/or someone with the time to volunteer to do the battle setups.

MajGen, 2/VIII/AoS
"Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:02 pm 
Gentlemen,
First of all, my apologies (It is amazing how guilty one can feel over failing on something one was doing for free).....I can only say that I have been a bit overwhelmed the last few months...I seldom even check my email....Hell, I lost Notso's phone numbers when my phone escaped my pocket into the pool...I have not been out of touch through any hostility, I can assure you....I have fallen so far behind on this project that I no longer remember many of the rules I was writing....I have been thinking of it a bit lately though...I would be glad to attempt to help anyone with any information I have or can remember....Notso, my apologies to you more than any other....I know the work you put in....I may be soon able to help in a limited scope....Feel free to call me if you still have my number....Regards to all, Hank

BG Hank Smith
Army of Georgia
Smith's Division CO
Carroll's Corp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:40 pm 

We just need to complete a couple more turns so I can burn Washington[:(!], clean out that rats nest of politicians[:D], and end the war[:)].

Army of Northern Virginia
Gen. Whitehead, Commanding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:14 pm 
Hank/Notso,

I'd be more than willing to help (though I am a participant as well). I'm not sure what you need or what I'm qualified to do, but I'd be more than happy to take some man-hours off both of your hands in order to keep this thing going. "Fight the War" has been the funnest time I've had in this club and I don't want to see it die!

Very Respectfully,

Col Eagle
1/1/XXIV/AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:58 pm 
Don't worry Notso, I'd never try to steal any of your god-like thunder (Bubbleheads are all gods to us brown shoes)! I was thinking I could do some admin work, just on Union stuff so I don't gain any insight into what the other side is up to.

V/R

Col Eagle
1/1/XXIV/AOJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:00 am 
Gentlemen,

As the FTW's official 'civilian observer' there is nothing I'd like better than to see this effort (and my own written account of it) continue. I'm not exactly sure what I can contribute, but I would certainly be more than willing to help.

I propose that those of us who would be willing to work on this project, submit a resume of sorts on the open FTW site, complete with our backgrounds, computer access, technical abilities and an estimation of the time we can commit to it.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:37 pm 
Col. Eagle,

<i>You just game me a thought. Can you smell the wood burning?

Until I get the automated OOB generator going ... how would it sit if each side generated their own OOB's based on the recruiting and economic info Hank and I put out?

I am not sure this is feasible given the FoW we try to maintain but I think it might we worth a discussion.

Just a thought.</i>

Notso,

I don't see why not. I obviously kept pretty close track of my own OOB and I'm sure the other commanders were doing so as well. It would just be a matter of consolidating them. However, do it yourself OOB tracking could end up generating "errors" as in inflated army sizes. There would still have to be some way to find and correct such inaccuracies if they arose.

V/R,

Col Eagle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:46 pm 
<i>I propose that those of us who would be willing to work on this project, submit a resume of sorts on the open FTW site, complete with our backgrounds, computer access, technical abilities and an estimation of the time we can commit to it.</i>

Done!

V/R,

Col Eagle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:24 am 

Ted and I were just on an extended raid of looting, pillaging and plundering.[:D]

BG. Kennon Whitehead
Chatham Grays
III Corps, AoM (CSA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:22 am 

Humph! Looting and pillaging, indeed! I'm sure that all you wanted was boots! All that marching too and fro can't be all that good for them Southron country boys!

As the only officer in both armies to become a Lieutenant for a fourth time, Larry, your impartiality knows no bounds!!! [:D]

Maj Gen Mark Oakford
XVIII Corps, AoJ
and (formerly)
Commander Army of the Shenandoah (FTW)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:23 am 
Notso,

I certainly agree that re-establishing a new chain-of-command for both governments (with players who can commit the necessary time to the project) would go a long way toward restarting the FTW project.

However, we might also want to consider whether, in trying to incorporate so many different aspects of the war into one scenario, that we might have bitten off a tad more than anyone could reasonably be expected to chew.

The idea of trying to fight the entire Civil War as a single campaign is, on its face, a colossal undertaking. And even from the outset, it seemed to me that anyone who undertook to manage the process, would have to be willing to commit an enormous amount of time and energy to it.

Even with the assistance of others, computing the losses from battles, to be carried over from one fight to the next, recruitment, manufacturing, logistics, naval operations, training, disbursment of funds and equipment, negotiating game rules, managing emails and finally, building unique battlefields for each contest, simply swamped the project's original managers, IMHO. Even without the intervention of RL issues, I can't imagine that anyone with a RL could have kept up the pace for very long.

I'm not sure how many of these processes can, or have been, automated so that future turns could proceed at a less glacial pace, or whether some of them might be delegated to the participants, but something should be done to expedite the overall rate of play.

That being said, perhaps this should be a factor in the election of new governments, with the top posts going to those who not only have the ability to manage their side's players, but who can also take on some to the game's technical management.

Again, I sincerely hope this project continues. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to sit in my rocker and read the tales of new exploits on the field on battle.

Perhaps you should consider setting a date for new elections, and let the process move forward again from there.

Carry On Gentlemen,

Formerly
Col. Charles S. Hayes
Copperheads Brigade
2nd Division
1st Corps
AoA